Parents Am I becoming a CGM?!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

miltongrl66

My DS injured his foot during PE on Monday. Even though he was clearly hurt (bruising and swelling) I found myself pressuring him to go to practice and "try it out" on Tuesday! Luckily I snapped out of it and let him stay home when I realized he was crying every time he put pressure on his foot! I have always promised myself that I would never become one of "those" parents, but I came pretty close on Tuesday. I have come to my senses and he will be missing practice as long as he needs to in order to heal.

My DS injured his foot during PE on Monday. Even though he was clearly hurt (bruising and swelling) I found myself pressuring him to go to practice and "try it out" on Tuesday! Luckily I snapped out of it and let him stay home when I realized he was crying every time he put pressure on his foot! I have always promised myself that I would never become one of "those" parents, but I came pretty close on Tuesday. I have come to my senses and he will be missing practice as long as he needs to in order to heal.
Making him try to use it before it heals is crazy. Making him go to practice is not. He can still do arm stuff and conditioning. Either way, if it's so hurt that he can not walk,please take him to the doctor.

As a parent, and especially a gymnast parent, we dont tend to think things hurt unless there is blood or a bone is sticking out lol. We sometimes dont think there could be anything internally wrong as we dont want to believe that would happen to our DD/DS. but great job realizing that there was something wrong and it hurt him to do anything. I have to be genuinely careful as my DD (as probably most are) is a drama queen and when she doesnt want to do something she will say something hurts or come up with another kind of excuse. Her belly has been hurting for the last couple months (only in the mornings or at night though) as she doesnt want to go to school or she doesnt want to go to sleep. So its up to me to decide if there is something medically wrong or if she is just faking.

Her belly has been hurting for the last couple months (only in the mornings or at night though) as she doesnt want to go to school or she doesnt want to go to sleep. So its up to me to decide if there is something medically wrong or if she is just faking.
Is she faking or is there some anxiety that she is dealing with? Months is a long time to be faking something. One way to get her to see that it's not okay to fake being ill, is to tell her if she keeps feeling this way then she will have to go to the doctor (after school, not missing school to go.)

He had an X-ray today. Still waiting to hear back from his doctor

Reactions: sce
I think we all question our kids sometimes as to whether it is really hurt or they are just being whiney. All kids do it from time to time. You came to your senses, it was good to keep him home. But he could still go next time and just do conditioning and stuff.

Having two boys in football and now a daughter in gymnastics, I have found myself being that parent more then once. What makes it worse is that I am also an ER nurse and will always tell them to suck it up. More times then I am truly willing to admit, I have made myself step back and take a better look. It can be hard. But yes, safety first. If he can't put weight on it, it should be checked out.

I think we all question our kids sometimes as to whether it is really hurt or they are just being whiney. All kids do it from time to time. You came to your senses, it was good to keep him home. But he could still go next time and just do conditioning and stuff.
There is also the opposite problem, when they don't tell you when they have pain or how bad it is. As they don't want to be stopped form going to gym etc.

There is also the opposite problem, when they don't tell you when they have pain or how bad it is. As they don't want to be stopped form going to gym etc.

This would be my DD! Her first year competing, she got so sick and had a fever, so I told her she'd have to miss, and she called Daddy and begged him tearfully to let her go!

if there is anxiety she doesnt tell me. Ill have to try that suggestion.

If it's anxiety, she wouldn't necessarily be able to verbalize that to you. My son is almost 7, and I am just now starting to realize that behaviors that I thought were disconnected idiosyncrasies are all symptoms of anxiety. He loves the attention he gets from being sick or injured, so I ignored his bedtime stomach aches (and sometimes headaches). But then I noticed that he was taking way too long to get to sleep and doing a lot of tossing around in the bed. I think that's when he has time to let his mind wander, and once he starts worrying about something he can't control it.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread! I totally understand the frustration with missing practice time for an injury if you're not sure it's legit. With swelling and bruising, though, you definitely made the right call in the end. Hope it heals quickly!

I have a little drama queen in my house and it's sometimes hard to know when she's faking and when she's really hurt. She's a good actress! I'm having to learn to ask the right questions in order to get to the truth. We've spent plenty of money on doctor's appointments only to hear that there's nothing wrong, but in general I try to err on the side of caution.

Sry, took DD for xray, and found out her tummy issues is constipation. only got her a stool softener as she had a meet today and didnt want her pooing herself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back