WAG Why a layout flyaway?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just an update! Dd had a mock meet today and did her layout flyaway with no spot for the first time! She didn't quite stick the landing but I am proud of her for trying. 2 more weeks until the score out meet so hopefully she can clean that up!

Wow! Way to go!!! That's great to hear :)

I have a friend whose daughter is 9, did level 4 last year and skipped to a level 6 this year. She is super strong on bars (cast to handstand no prob, tap swings are really strong etc.). But she is completely struggling with her tuck flyaway. She had it then lost it and is having a terrible time getting it back. She is competing the level 4 dismount right now and obviously getting huge deductions :(. After seeing this post I told the mom to ask HC about letting her try the layout flyaway. I feel so bad for this girl. It had completely shaken her confidence and her timing is so off on the tuck flyaways I'm really worried she is going to hurt herself.

Anyhow, thanks for this post. I am hoping this will help her!

Wow! Way to go!!! That's great to hear :)

I have a friend whose daughter is 9, did level 4 last year and skipped to a level 6 this year. She is super strong on bars (cast to handstand no prob, tap swings are really strong etc.). But she is completely struggling with her tuck flyaway. She had it then lost it and is having a terrible time getting it back. She is competing the level 4 dismount right now and obviously getting huge deductions :(.

Confused. :confused:

A flyaway is not required at level 6 as far as I know. My DD competed without one -- used an underswing dismount -- and scored quite well when she didn't make mistakes. So I'm not sure why your friend's gymnast would be getting big deductions for not having one. Is she able to increase the start value with other skills?

Wow, that's interesting… my friend and I both assumed that it was required. So did she do it from the low bar then? My friend's DD starts on the low bar then jumps to the high bar and so has to dismount from there. Getting back to the low bar would require a release move right? If there is another dismount she could do besides the flyaway I know her mom would be really happy to learn about it!

Wow, that's interesting… my friend and I both assumed that it was required. So did she do it from the low bar then? My friend's DD starts on the low bar then jumps to the high bar and so has to dismount from there. Getting back to the low bar would require a release move right? If there is another dismount she could do besides the flyaway I know her mom would be really happy to learn about it!

No it was from the high bar. Let's see if I can describe the routine: mount low bar, cast to handstand, clear hip to handstand, kip, squat on jump to high bar, cast to handstand, baby giant, underswing dismount.

Coach might not like it, especially if he is encouraging her to get her flyaway. ;)

Our coach was threatening the girls with scratching bars if they didn't have their flyaway. But in the end he relented and let her do the underswing.

As far as technique goes, a layout flyaway is arguably the simplest skill in the entire sport of gymnastics. Assuming you have a strong tap swing, all you have to do is let go of the bar, and the layout pretty much takes care of itself.

That's funny! We use to have a bar mounted from a tree hanging over a river when I was growing up. We never called it a layout flyaway, but you're right in that once you're swinging, the flip is really a no brainer. Of course, having water under you makes it easier for your brain to let go and do nothing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back