WAG Would Love An Analysis - L4 Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Becauseisaid

Proud Parent
I'm a geek. Which means that I like to know where deductions are being seen by the judges. Sometimes I can figure them out. Sometimes I can't. So I'd love for any judges or experiences coaches to give me their thoughts on the deductions and how they would score this routine. (Don't worry - I'm not coaching, just curious.)

Not a coach or a judge, but about four year's experience watching old L5 for girls and L5 boys' high bar, which is similar -- I wonder if she got credit for the dismount? Hard to tell from the video, but it almost looked like her second hand just tapped the bar before she released. I vaguely remember at some point the boys getting a lengthy lecture about that.

Best as I can remember, she probably would have taken the most deductions on that and on the long hang kip on the high bar. She'll want the swing turn higher and she'll want to eliminate the leg separation, but doing both simultaneously is tough (says the mother of the boy who is trying to get that darn thing to handstand). Higher, stronger tap swings will help the score as well. Other than that, there would be some nickel and diming for bent knees, the amount of which would depend on how tough the judges are.

But there's a lot to like about this so early in the season. It's great to see a L4 routine with straight arm kips, which was my DD's bugaboo for a looooooong time. She's also pushing through and making it without any pauses.

I won't throw out a number, but I think this is a very nice foundation for what should be a successful year on bars.

Also not a judge, but have been very keen on watching every detail of DD's last 3 bars.
The cast out of the kip - they get deductions for below horizontal.
The long hang kip was a little low up on the bar, a little muscle up.
I don't really know the deductions, but if I were to compare that with DD's last meet, I'd say about 8.4? Like profmom said - nickel and diming for little things like bent knees, that kind of thing.

I'm only going by reading and reading and reading the USAG codes of where they could take deductions. That's where I learned that if they don't hit 45* out of kip, it's one level of deduction, if they make it over 45* but not 90*, it's less deduction, etc.

Of course, I know you asked for experienced judges or coaches, so I too would love to hear what they have to say.

thank you for sharing!! I love watching :)

Experienced mom view accepted too. ☺

I see some big things but wondered if I was seeing everything. Didn't achieve full extension on kip, muscle up on high bar kip, pike and flexed feet on tap swings, didn't achieve horizontal cast, leg separation.

I'm just going to take a stab at this. My daughter will be competing Level 10 this year. But I've watched her team mates through the years and like you always wondered why the scores seem low because they looked good to me. My daughter's bars were surprisingly a lot higher and from a civilian's eyes, I could not tell the big difference. So, my daughter, friends, coaches have explained things to me through the years. I do know judges are not always uniform in their deductions.

Anyway, the big thing in L5 bars is hitting skills above horizontal, straight body/full extension of the body, straight arms and legs. So, here is what I saw. Low bar: her first glide kip did not hit horizontal. It has to hit horizontal or higher. She has to have a straight body jump to the high bar. Before the long hang kip, her toes have to hit bar height. Again, she did not hit horizontal on her cast in high bar. Her underswing must finish in full extension at or above bar height. The hips and shoulders have to be at bar height or higher. Her tap swing must also be at bar height or higher with full body extension. Slight separation of legs at dismount. Some of these get a .2 deduction and some .1. So, she would probably get in the 8.3 score. If I had not known all these, I would have guessed she got a 9.

Head out in the glide, I sufiecent extension of glide, bent legs and arms in the kip and finished kip with poor body position(back arched head out) low cast , jump with head out. Bent arms and legs on high ad kip, finished kip with back arched head out, low cast , head out in underwing, piked counter swings , swings need to be higher, leg split on dismount . Scores differ too much around the nation, but those are your errors.

Forgot to mention, she had bent arms on her kip at the high bar and bent legs.

By end of season, And she develops more strength, I can see this routine get up to the 9. My daughter's first Level 4 (old Level 5) was disastrous at 7.8. She could not even do her kip without severely bent arms. After that, she did get anything less than a 9 and by states, she had a very high 9.

Head out in the glide, I sufiecent extension of glide, bent legs and arms in the kip and finished kip with poor body position(back arched head out) low cast , jump with head out. Bent arms and legs on high ad kip, finished kip with back arched head out, low cast , head out in underwing, piked counter swings , swings need to be higher, leg split on dismount . Scores differ too much around the nation, but those are your errors.

Not from the US so don't know how this particular level is judged. But as a judge in the UK, I would take deductions for the above. But also for lack of distance on dismount, second hand barely touching bar on dismount (incomplete turn), potentially the pause on the low bar before the squat on and maybe for lack of correct shape in the tap swings.
Hope this helps. :)

I agree with the others, low casts, as well she's arched on the casts. I see bent legs a few times as well as flexed feet. (Seems she flexes on every back swing, maybe afraid of hitting the low bar?) Also, the bent arms on kip and leg separations. I'm curious as to the score as well.

Would expect 8.0 to 8.5. This is definitely a "tenth-ed to death routine". She has a nice swing and good rhythm, but lots and lots of small deductions. Remember execution deductions for flexed feet, bent knees, bent arms, body alignment(head out,arch,pike) can be taken on every element in the routine. There are 9 major elements in the routine so they add up. Dismount actually looks pretty good to me except for the execution deductions of feet apart and head out of alignment.

Yes, lots of little deductions. Muscling up on the kips, bent knees, flexed feet, low casts. I believe she's piking on her tap swings too. Not a coach, but watched a lot of new 4 bars when my DD competed last year!

I would be in the high 7's. I also think she got tenthed to death. Just so many little things all over the place. But they will improve over time and some nagging from her coaches.

Mom's view, 7 years of two different gymmies. Depending on the toughness of the scoring, like 8 to 8.5.
Arched casts below horizontal, muscling through kips, slight knee bending and arm bending.

Looks totally solid and just needs to be cleaned up and tighter and more hollow. Great job to your DD! Is she staring the season?

I would guess high 7s-low 8s (7.8-8.3 range) depending on where you are in the country and how tough the judges are and agree with the general consensus that it's just a bunch of little things. She has a lot of great potential on bars, and the looks great for so early in the season. I'm sure the scores will shoot up once she has some time to iron out the little details.

I would guess high 7s-low 8s (7.8-8.3 range) depending on where you are in the country and how tough the judges are and agree with the general consensus that it's just a bunch of little things. She has a lot of great potential on bars, and the looks great for so early in the season. I'm sure the scores will shoot up once she has some time to iron out the little details.
And actually, in rewatching, I think my earlier estimate was a bit stingy. I think low-mid 8s would probably be more fitting. The casts are the biggest problem, but I'm impressed at her working through the routine with pretty good rhythm. That's a big struggle for our girls who are new kippers.
Ha- I posted that at the same time as you posted the score. I think that sounds about right. Though I can see it being up towards the 9s as the season progresses and being over that as she heads towards states.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back