WAG Training time for L7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
Would you say that a decent gymnast, with a year's training time, should be able to go 5-7? Our gym is still talking about the girls doing L6 in 2016!

She spent a season each at old & new 4 and this year L5. 36-37's old and new 4, ~35.5's at new 5. Has a BHS on beam, working BWO/BHS now. Strap bar giants solo, but no CHS yet or any non-strap giants. Solid back and front tucks, but no further floor uptraining. Vault is a weakness. 11 years old now, will be 13 in early 2016. Good body type. Smallish gym, no superstars.

Do you not want to do level 6? My daughter is doing it now. Its a nice confidence builder and a good way to get ready for 7.

She is way on the older side and the goal is to be qualified for a college scholarship. Being a 12 yo L6 would be discouraging enough without being a 13 yo L6. Anyway, isn't L6 almost the same as L5? I don't see a point in basically repeating 5 if she's had a reasonably good full season there.

Our gym uses L6 as the level they have girls compete if they don't quite have their L7 skills. Maybe you could ask the coaches if she could aim for L7, but if she doesn't make it with her skills, she will do L6? It sounds to me like she is well on her way, but a lot can happen in a year's time.

Not to sound rude but if you want your daughter to enjoy gymnastics (and I suppose that's what every parent wants for their child) then let gymnastics be about gymnastics and not about some scholarship in the future.
She is L6 this year and who knows what's gonna happen next year.

Wait, it's 2014, so your gymnast is a 5 right now and your gym is already talking about 6 in 2016????? LAME ALERT

Wait, it's 2014, so your gymnast is a 5 right now and your gym is already talking about 6 in 2016????? LAME ALERT
But that's about right for some regions. Like here, compulsory states are in Nov-Dec and optional season starts in January. Our gymnasts that competed in L5 states this weekend will not compete L6 until 2016, unless they learn their routines over Christmas!!! It's just the way the seasons fall.

But that's about right for some regions. Like here, compulsory states are in Nov-Dec and optional season starts in January. Our gymnasts that competed in L5 states this weekend will not compete L6 until 2016, unless they learn their routines over Christmas!!! It's just the way the seasons fall.

That's how I read it, too. Those who just finished up 5 will either go Optional this winter ('15) or have to wait until next year ('16).
From what I understand from Chalkbucket, and I am certainly no expert, is that it shouldn't be an issue. Aren't 5 & 6 very similar? I would think she would be able to compete 7 if she were training for a whole year.

Level 6 is for kids who cannot go 7, so to make that assumption a year ahead is LAME. It's an unnecessary addition of another step instead of actually working towards a goal. gymmom , many kids finish a level 5 season in November and push kids to 7 over Christmas, yes this happens often. Some kids won't be ready , but implementing a plan for 6 a year later isn't coaching its incubating....

At our gym, the girls that are competing L4 now will compete L5 in Fall 2015 and L7 in Spring 2016. The ones that are competing L5 this Fall will be doing L7 in 6 weeks.

Every kid is different so I agree that assumption is lame! My DD finished up her level 4 season in May, scored out of 5 in July and is competing 6 this year, most likely 7 in spring of 2016. 5 and 6 skills are almost identical.

Every kid is different so I agree that assumption is lame! My DD finished up her level 4 season in May, scored out of 5 in July and is competing 6 this year, most likely 7 in spring of 2016. 5 and 6 skills are almost identical.
That's the way to do it. :) Yea I am with you, why would some one spend a year in 5 and then wait an entire year to perform the same skills in 6? . Particularly at an older age. Sounds like a business plan to me.

That sounds like a waste of time to me! There is no reason to push L6 off that far... it's like doing L5 again. My DD just finished L5 State this weekend, will start learning her L6 routines tomorrow and start competing in January. If pushing to do L6 this year isn't an option, then skipping it and doing L7 in 2016 seems like a no brainer.

Reactions: sce
I don't know that I am going to add anything new to this discussion, but DD finished 'new' L4 in 2013, scored mainly 36-37 range, scored out of 5 earlier this year (she scored a low 38), and has been training 7, but will compete 6 in the spring. HC says it is because she wants her 7 skills to be solid otherwise they won't be competable (whatever that means). As the season starts mid-January, we have already paid for the first 2 meets and DD has been placed as a 6 at both meets. I'm not sure if HC is willing to make a level change for her or not, but we have to pay for 6 state before the season even starts so even though she is currently training L8 skills I am going to assume HC is planning on keeping her a 6.

For the girls who just finished their L5 season, they will not compete 6 until Jan. 2016. Apparently, this is 'how it is done' in TX...

The true fault is already predicting where they'll be with skills over a full year out. No giants, no L7 in our gym. And it's so unpredictable how quickly the giants will come. It was an easy step for mine, but I know others who took years to get them. Again, it's just too soon to say and I think if you set low expectations that may be what the gymnast aims for.

Would you say that a decent gymnast, with a year's training time, should be able to go 5-7? Our gym is still talking about the girls doing L6 in 2016!

She spent a season each at old & new 4 and this year L5. 36-37's old and new 4, ~35.5's at new 5. Has a BHS on beam, working BWO/BHS now. Strap bar giants solo, but no CHS yet or any non-strap giants. Solid back and front tucks, but no further floor uptraining. Vault is a weakness. 11 years old now, will be 13 in early 2016. Good body type. Smallish gym, no superstars.
it seems premature to say they will for sure compete level 6 that far out. I personally think that they should train for level 7 and only compete 6 if they are not ready by 2016.

it seems premature to say they will for sure compete level 6 that far out. I personally think that they should train for level 7 and only compete 6 if they are not ready by 2016.

Yes, this. If a girl has decent giants and all minimums clean on other events, there's no reason to do L6. And there is absolutely no way to tell which girls competing L4-L5 now will be there by a year from now. The rough ones may clean up a lot and get their giants without a lot of trouble, and the really good and clean ones could develop fears or vestibular blocks on beam or have trouble getting giants. The last set of moveup decisions for L7 (from L5) were made in DD's gym about 3 weeks ago!

Oh -- and body type has absolutely nothing to do with how quickly they will progress.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back