Uk level 5 & grade 14

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So when I said the handbook would be out within two weeks, that was after ringing up British Gymnastics who told me that.. it's now a month later and still nothing... I know I can be quite impatient I'll admit, but how long does it take to put a handbook together ;) C 'mon BG!

Glad I am not the only one who keeps checking the website hoping the handbook would be on there ;)

Handbook is now published :) Although you have to log into Gymnet and it's under coaching resources. But from what I can see routines haven't changed. One change I can see is that instead of just "passing" your grade or achieving a distinction, you can achieve a pass mark, commended mark or distinction mark.

Have they? I have a copy of the old handbook and it only says pass and distinction? But am new to club grades so maybe my old handbook was outdated :p

Are you sure that anything hasn't changed. Dd has the New Club Grade 5&6 printed in her book, the coach has now asked for their book back as she said the grades have changed. Dd told me that they were going through the range and conditioning tonight and what they were doing was different but similar to what was printed in their books.

From what little I saw and from what dd has told me this is what she was working on to tonight:

Range and Conditioning:
Dish hold with form turn to arch hold lay flat on floor and sweep arms around to side, push up to front support and the move into splits from front support, twist to opposite leg splits and sweep leg round to pike sit. This is as far as they have got.

On the floor they were also working on forward roll to straddle sit, pancake stretch.

Sitting pike stretch straight into backwards roll with straight legs.

Crouch to handstand.

From those who have read the new handbook are any of these moves above mentioned in it?

Range and conditioning for 6/5 is

Facing paralettes:
Forward roll to long sit, heels raised
Straddle legs to box splits and hold for 2 seconds
Fold forwards and bring legs around to lying on front
Push to press up position and drag feet in to pike fold - hands on floor behind feet
Stand up with straight back and arms by ears.
Walk to paralettes. Crouch down and hold on to paralettes, taking both feet off floor at same time, show perch hold
Return to crouch. Take both hands off floor and show straddle 1/2 lever. Keeping legs straight lift hips to stand.
Half turn on two feet and kneel. Slide into splits.
Half turn to other leg splits
Bring legs forwards, pike fold
Lie down and push to bridge with straight legs
lift one leg and kick over through split handstand to stand.

That's the list DD is training (one Marie posted), and she's working towards grade 6 :/

Will see at training on Saturday though if there's been any changes I suppose!

Range and conditioning for 6/5 is

Facing paralettes:
Forward roll to long sit, heels raised
Straddle legs to box splits and hold for 2 seconds
Fold forwards and bring legs around to lying on front
Push to press up position and drag feet in to pike fold - hands on floor behind feet
Stand up with straight back and arms by ears.
Walk to paralettes. Crouch down and hold on to paralettes, taking both feet off floor at same time, show perch hold
Return to crouch. Take both hands off floor and show straddle 1/2 lever. Keeping legs straight lift hips to stand.
Half turn on two feet and kneel. Slide into splits.
Half turn to other leg splits
Bring legs forwards, pike fold
Lie down and push to bridge with straight legs
lift one leg and kick over through split handstand to stand.

That is the list that is in her book, but they are not doing that now, dd said that their grades have changed and they will get new ones in their book. Maybe they are no longer be going to do the club grades and are going to be doing something else, can't think what though.

There are some similar things in the above list compared to what dd did tonight. It is now forward roll to straddle sit (it might be long sit) and then straddle then pancake, they also do the splits twist thing and a bridge but they don't kick over, they lift one leg up at the time. I am confused as they were originally told they will be doing grade 5 or 6.

Hi, Can someone tell me routines for National 3 am my daughter will complete this grade in 2015. I don't have access to handbook as not a coach. Thank You

That is the list that is in her book, but they are not doing that now, dd said that their grades have changed and they will get new ones in their book. Maybe they are no longer be going to do the club grades and are going to be doing something else, can't think what though.

There are some similar things in the above list compared to what dd did tonight. It is now forward roll to straddle sit (it might be long sit) and then straddle then pancake, they also do the splits twist thing and a bridge but they don't kick over, they lift one leg up at the time. I am confused as they were originally told they will be doing grade 5 or 6.

How old is your DD? Would it be compulsory 5 perhaps?

My dd has just turned 8 so will be classed as a 9 year old next year even though she will not turn 9 until end of the year.

What is compulsory 5? What does that entail?

My dd has just turned 8 so will be classed as a 9 year old next year even though she will not turn 9 until end of the year.

What is compulsory 5? What does that entail?

It's a slightly more advanced level for those aimed down the elite path - usually done the year the gymnast turns 8 and I don't think many regions do it out of age. Each region sets the rules so that was why I mentioned it really as it could have been the range and conditioning for your region's compulsory 5. Probably best to ask the coach really! They might just be doing some extra basics within their range and conditioning session.

@marie83 Do you know if there would be a deductions if a gymnast went into the straddle lever on parallettes by bending the legs out to the side and then bringing them forward (like 4.21 in this video Or is it best that they hold on the parallettes with straight legs, lean forward and lower their legs straddle? (like 5.51 in )

If I'm honest I wish they'd kept the tuck and straddle lever on the bench, going to be a struggle on the paralletes especially returning back to their feet with straight legs after the straddle lever :confused:

Presume short parallettes are like this http://www.gymnasticworld.co.uk/product/gymnastic-short-parallettes-2/?

@marie83 Do you know if there would be a deductions if a gymnast went into the straddle lever on parallettes by bending the legs out to the side and then bringing them forward (like 4.21 in this video Or is it best that they hold on the parallettes with straight legs, lean forward and lower their legs straddle? (like 5.51 in )

If I'm honest I wish they'd kept the tuck and straddle lever on the bench, going to be a struggle on the paralletes especially returning back to their feet with straight legs after the straddle lever :confused:

Presume short parallettes are like this http://www.gymnasticworld.co.uk/product/gymnastic-short-parallettes-2/?

Have closed the document now but will check tomorrow! It says from
Perch return to crouch and show straddle half lever so I would assume from that, that the gymnast would need to bend her legs into it but that seems weird to me!
Yes it is those ones in the link x

Have closed the document now but will check tomorrow! It says from
Perch return to crouch and show straddle half lever so I would assume from that, that the gymnast would need to bend her legs into it but that seems weird to me!
Yes it is those ones in the link x

Thank you :)! Yes that's what I was thinking! Wish BG had released videos of the routines like they did with the elite grades- would have been so useful!

Are you sure that anything hasn't changed. Dd has the New Club Grade 5&6 printed in her book, the coach has now asked for their book back as she said the grades have changed. Dd told me that they were going through the range and conditioning tonight and what they were doing was different but similar to what was printed in their books.

From what little I saw and from what dd has told me this is what she was working on to tonight:

Range and Conditioning:
Dish hold with form turn to arch hold lay flat on floor and sweep arms around to side, push up to front support and the move into splits from front support, twist to opposite leg splits and sweep leg round to pike sit. This is as far as they have got.

On the floor they were also working on forward roll to straddle sit, pancake stretch.

Sitting pike stretch straight into backwards roll with straight legs.

Crouch to handstand.

From those who have read the new handbook are any of these moves above mentioned in it?

No idea what that is from. Maybe your clubs own version or a regional version. The boys do a back roll from sitting pike stretch I always think it looks nice.

No idea what that is from. Maybe your clubs own version or a regional version. The boys do a back roll from sitting pike stretch I always think it looks nice.

It did look nice, so did the dish roll over to the arch, they had to keep nice and tight. Also another thing that looked good was this sort of press to a handstand from a kind of bunny hop position, didn't really see all of what they were doing only caught little bits.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back