Parents Critique this USAG level 4 floor routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomof2Girls

Proud Parent
This past weekend was my 8 yr old's first level 4 meet.
I'm attaching her floor routine. Before I tell u her score, can you please critique it - don't feel the need to hold back.
I know her straddle jump could've been higher and her back extension roll less archy. What else?
Also, what would u guess her score was?

I am just a mom and it is hard to see if her legs are straight but it looks awesome to me. Just the arch in the back extension roll and needs more rebound in front handspring. Other than that, looks awesome! I would guess a 9.2? But, I am horrible at guessing scores lol!

I'm just a mom of a level 4 as well. I would have guessed mid to high 8s based on lack of releve, archy back extension, lack of height on straddle and some bent legs.

Reactions: sce
I am a level four my self, and my coach as had me watch the video that USAG provided to the coaches, and because of her stumble on her backwalkover, and the archy back extension (witch can take up to 6 tenths) that she would score mid to high eights, it also depends on what the judges are feeling like that day. Overall, the routine was nice with some improvements.

Ok. So, did you try the coach forum for answers? Did your daughter ask you to post this here? Just curious....... Beautiful routine. First level 4 meet. I give it an 11! :). Why does it matter?

I thought it was a great routine. But, I'm guessing about 8.1. During her Gil turn she stepped back instead of forward and that could be counted against her as not completing the skill at all. I saw a few flexed feet, and slow robhs. We are new to OPTIONALS this year and my eyes have been opened to all the "little things" that I never noticed before.

My daughter and I are guessing 8.4-8.7 - just for all the little tenths of form.

Looking good!

What did she receive on this routine at the meet?

I think it was a great routine. Not perfect, but really good. I can see an 8.15 being justified if maximum deductions on everything were being taken, but I think that's a really tough score for that routine.

I'm wondering about the full turn and if she lost the value of the element and got a huge deduction there. I couldn't see it super well but maybe that's it.

Thanks everyone. She got an 8.15.

Sounds like maybe a little tougher judging that day, but in the ballpark of reasonable scoring imo. She looks to have very common form issues centered on overall straightness, tightness, hitting the poses - the things that make the routine look crisp and sharp. More practice on those basics will bring her scores shooting up.

Thanks again, the feedback is much appreciated. I don't see her stepping back instead of forward into the full turn. Maybe I'm missing something?
I do see how she lifted her leg and then put it down before her back walkover... I'm thinking that may have been a deduction?

I would have guessed around a 7.9. Probably .2 on text at least, not sure what they do about an assemble/hurdle into the straddle jump because that is very incorrect, I suppose they could call it text or adding an element, like I said not sure.

Pretty much every major element has deductions. Straddle jump: posture and leg tightness, also does jump half with feet open which is a specific deduction. At least .3 on this, depends on what they did with the assemble. Front handspring: .1 to .2 Back extension: they probably took the value of the element on this or close, .3 or .4 because of bent arms and arch. Leap: back leg low, leg tightness. Turn: very questionable as far as use of heel snap technique which is a big specific deduction (she brings her leg to forward passé and then turns) but I think they probably gave it to her and took posture and quality of movement deductions. Back walkover: her leg goes up and then down and then up again, .1 for lack of continuous leg movement, then another deduction for leg tightness, and another for not levering out. Round off: arched. Legs bent. .2. .3 on both back handsprings for bent legs, knees apart, posture too arched with shoulders closed.

I saw bent legs and/or flexed feet and all the tumbling skill and leaps. This can add up. As well, she seemed rushed to keep up with the music at times.

Not a coach either and my daughter competed old L4 several years ago; but 8.1 seems pretty low. I think your daughter looked great. But those little .1 deductions certainly add up. Judges can deduct so much in one minute. Just a little attention to those little details will get her scores up quickly. Good luck.

Not a coach, In our state that seems about right. depending on the meet.
9's would have to be perfect in the skills with some minor errors. I saw an 9.85 a few weeks ago and it was even MORE perfect than the USAG video.
Complete with precise smiling.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back