MAG Boys Competition Attire

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

taximomma

Proud Parent
We have our first ever boys meet coming up. Just curious how it works with the boys having to wear pants for some events and shorts for others. Do the boys just change from pants to shorts on the competition floor? Also, are they required to wear socks with the pants?

This will be a first for us. I have been to lots of girls meets with DD but have never experienced a boys competition.

Over here the boys wear their shorts under their sokhol (pommel pants) for the competitions and just take off the sokhol as and when needed. They do have to wear socks (and I know that applies in the US too) - usually they want them in plain white socks (thus causing the yearly event known as the Great Sock Hunt Challenge as plain boys' white socks are as rare as hens teeth and girls' ones often have lace or bows that, strangely, boys object to). However I have seen pictures of teams from other countries in socks that match their pommel pants so check with your coach, but do this soon as finding the right socks is an art form.

Our boys change in between events, they have a "corral" where they meet in between events and I think they change there. They don't wear the shorts under the longs.

No shorts under pommel pants. They have manly singlets rather than girly leotards, so they just whip off the shorts/pommel pants as needed.

What color are your pommel pants? I hope your coach likes black socks!

Our boys wear their shorts under the pants and just take the pants off for floor and vault. They wear socks of the same color as the pants.

Black is a bit easier. Our boys change completely as they say the feeling of shorts under the pommel pants is not pleasant. It also looks a bit like a diaper.

Our boys would never change down to just the singlet, lol, so they wear the pommel pants over the shorts. The shorts are pretty short, though. Not much material. Ideally, pants and socks should match, with no writing on the toes. Be sure to ask your coach what color he wants.

Other thing, make sure they are athletic/cotton socks, too. Dress socks/rayon are slippery!!

Shorts under pommel pants for us. But I need to find solid red socks. Hahaha!

No shorts under longs - coach would have a coronary ;) The boys just change as needed - the tracksuit jacket is normally fairly long and provides a bit of modesty if they are worried .

DS just got his new warm up jacket, and even the child small is huge on him. He could definitely change under that thing if necessary.

That's funny to me that some coaches care so much about shorts under the pants. I swear I can't see the shorts at all with the pants over them. Maybe it's because our boys wear black pants?

And I always wonder why they don't put floor and vault next to each other in the rotation. That would at least take away some of the changing back and forth.

No shorts under longs for my son. His pants are white and shorts are blue so that would look strange, so it's tighty whities under his singlet and they change quickly in the corral. I don't think I've ever noticed a boy changing. I, like most people, are too busy watching the competition. We have white socks with our white longs.

No shorts under pommel pants. They have manly singlets rather than girly leotards, so they just whip off the shorts/pommel pants as needed.
Same here. Change from pants to shorts and vice versa. Singlet has boy cut legs, so looks like shorts. They wear socks with the pants. Ours match the socks to the pants. Used to wear black pants, so black socks. This year they will wear white pants, so they will need white socks.

I wish the uniform companies would sell socks to match their pants.

That's funny to me that some coaches care so much about shorts under the pants. I swear I can't see the shorts at all with the pants over them. Maybe it's because our boys wear black pants?
Our coach has an issue with how bulky it is. They don't look as sharp with shorts under the pants.

They wear their shorts for Floor and Vault.

They wear their longs for Pommel. Rings, Parallel Bars and High bar.

They are supposed to wear their socks with their longs.

They are not supposed to wear their shorts under their longs. That is part of why they wear a men's leotard (known as a singlet), so there is no big deal about taking one off and putting the other on. It's no different to being seen in their togs (or whatever you call swim wear in your country, we call them togs).

At our competitions all the boys from all the gyms take their shorts off.

Reactions: sce
They are not supposed to wear their shorts under their longs. That is part of why they wear a men's leotard (known as a singlet), so there is no big deal about taking one off and putting the other on. It's no different to being seen in their togs (or whatever you call swim wear in your country, we call them togs).

At our competitions all the boys from all the gyms take their shorts off.
I don't know if it is a European thing but I have never seen boys over here wear a singlet - it is always a standard leotard (in manly colours of course;)), and the one leo we have ordered from the UK was a normal leo and I didn't see any singlets in the catalogue. So I can understand that here they don't fancy stripping off in front of the crowd! The shorts are very small and do not really show up under the longs at all - the effect is probably very similar to having a singlet under the longs.

I wish the uniform companies would sell socks to match their pants.

Yeah..but they would lose them ;) I would have to order a pair for each meet and cross my fingers that by state he had enough singles left to make a couple of pairs! LOL! I have no idea what happens to socks at meets.

One year, our boys wore compression shirts, not singlets. they still changed! They just went to a corner and stripped down. It was kind of funny!

I find it hilarious that boys who happily work out shirtless would have issues changing from shorts to pommel pants or vice versa in plain view. The singlets we use are tight fitting, so there's no bulk under the pommel pants as there would be for shorts. They're also black on the bottom, so there's no problem if the (black) shorts ride up while they're doing handstand holds on the floor.

The worst thing about the white socks is that my kid has never worn a pair through an entire meet and had them come out in a shape where they could be meet-worthy again. There's nothing like the pristine, dazzling purity of the white socks before they start warming up their first event . . . If you're stuck with white, go cheap, people!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back