Changes to the WAG program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And much more dancier! Well at least the level 5 routine showed at national clubs.

I agree, much dancier - is going to suit some style of gymnasts more than others which is a change, before even though the skills were set, from level 4 the beam and floor routine could be adapted to suit a gymnasts style more.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out...

How has the international program changed significantly? In what ways, Aussie Coach?

The international levels are now
International 2
International 4
International 6
International 7
International 8
International 9
International 10

They are actually slightly easier. I think the aim is to get more gymnasts into the international level program.

Thanks Aussiecoach, I thought you might mean that what they were actually doing in the levels had changed significantly. Yes, it would be good to have more gymnasts in the international program. More competition can only help.

I know they were trying to make it easier for coaches with compulsory choreography, but I actually think it will be harder, some of my girls just can not dance and just don't get it will sure be interesting/challenging!

I also think it will be harder for coaches when it comes to teaching and learning the choreography. Many are not used to this type of work and won't have the eye for detail required, there will be small dedications everywhere.

Any nsw kids been given their new levels for 2015 yet? Interested to see what state stream and ndp kids are being moved from and to for the new levels program. Our kids not yet allocated as far as I know.

Our current L2 NDP's are only moving up to the new L3 ... one or two were given the option to move to L4 but chose not to.
Currently the L2's do 6hrs/week training - this will only increase to 7hrs/week from next year.
Some of the other parents are questioning the "low" training hours for next year - previously L3 would have done 9hrs/week.

Im interested, too, to see how other clubs approach the new code.

(We are in Sydney, fyi).

We haven't heard at all yet (in Tassie). DD's club has a lot of state stream girls - I'm not sure yet whether they will opt to keep a Tassie state stream, or whether everyone is going to move to NDP, or what will happen. My DD is only in a development group at the moment, but from what I've seen of her training, they're already working on the new NDP level 1 skills, and working towards 2 & 3. The club website has removed all information about their WAG program, so no one knows what's going on.

Im interested, too, to see how other clubs approach the new code.

(We are in Sydney, fyi).
What they have the skills for.
I think most of the 1's are doing 3, the 2's are doing 4.a couple don't have the skills and are doing 2/3. 4's are doing 5 mostly, couple doing 6. 5+ mostly going up 1 level.

Just seeing how everyone's going here? My dad has been training for 5 but may drop to 5 if she can't get skills - the kip nightmare lol

A few clubs around our country area have decided the following:

-level 1: each club to put skills into a routine, scored out of 10, each gymnast gets a ribbon for each apparatus based on score- gold for 9.0+, silver for 8-8.9, bronze for <8.0

-level 2: use gymnastics Victoria routines (that they are putting together), either use their music or each club chooses their own, scored as above

-level 3: New ALP routines, scored as per new rules, awards as per above

-level 4&5: new ALP routines/rules/awards

-level 6+: either continue with ALP or change to "regional" requirements and rules- old state stream requirements, scoring and LAT rules, we are investigating our own badges for each level, not sure what the girls would be registered as though!

Really it has just gotten messy and confusing! But good that the clubs around here are giving the girls another option : )

Hi, I'm new and pretty much signed up (instead of lurking!) to add to this post :) Thanks to everyone for all the great Aussie info - have got pretty much nothing regarding any of this from the actual gym!

Like R8chel we are in Sydney. DD moved from NDPL2 to the NDP L4+ training sessions at our gym in term 4 last year. They train 12 hours (3x4hr sessions). Her old NDPL3 sessions were 3x3 hours. Our gym (the whole family has a membership!) has been a bit disorganised gymnastics wise in 2014, dropping the IDP stream and loosing 2 head coaches. The usual in-house comps were cancelled so the girls haven't competed since mid last year.

Coach has told the L4 newbies they will compete L3 in 2015, and looking at the skills list on the Vic Gymnastics site (thanks COz) that is perfect as my DD has only made the jump to HB needed for L4 bars once so far! They are doing quite a bit of up-training from what I can see. She has around 90% of the new L4 skills but not polished by any means, and some L5. They are working hard on that Kip too and oh the frustration it brings! (Kips and the ROBHS are my DDs goals for this year - go her!).

Not sure what is happening with the other levels, sorry, communication doesn't seem happening much at the moment.

Thanks again for all the info and updates everyone - I'd love to hear what other gyms are doing too.

I think a good comparison would be if the U.S. got rid of XCEL and everyone had to do JO!

I'm still waiting for my DVD to arrive so I can learn all these routines I have to start teaching in a few short weeks haha

I finally got them yesterday after an order stuff up, not a huge fan! Some dance I like but then I don't like the music and vice versa! Level 3 is very fast. All routines are so much more dancier and are going to be so hard to teach in my opinion, for my kids.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back