Parents How to handle dd's younger brother at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

blueredzone

Proud Parent
So eventually I would like for both my wife and I to attend dd's meets. Although I realize that having a 3 yr old sitting still for 4 hrs is pretty much not doable.

What do u guys do with your other younger children while at meets?

Yes, I agree. We never took sibs to meets until they were old enough to behave.

Too many little kids running around and leaping on equipment for my liking.

I used to go to meets and record them for hubby. Once in a while we would get a sitter. But often he was at the other kids activities.

I have always taken my younger kids as we don't have sitters, I just make sure we have things for them to do and take walks in the hallway between my older girls competing etc.

I almost always brought my younger DD, she's 4 now so has been going to meets since she was a baby. Lots of iphone/iPad games and snacks and patience. If you have the option of a babysitter that's great, but if not it's doable, especially if both parents are there.

Second the iPhone/iPad. There are generally a group if little brothers all playing on devices at every meet. It's not ideal but I also know there is zero chance of ds holding it together for 4 hrs otherwise! We generally pack a backpack and also include some other activities and snacks & water bottle.

It's scary how long my boys will sit and play on their electronics. No, it's not ideal, but it's not that often. When they do finally get bored of that they will play with the other gym siblings. We don't usually leave them with anyone, because we're often gone for about 8 hours when you count travel time.

I leave mine with someone else if at all possible, its not fair on them, or others trying to watch to have a bored small person there.

BTW love the new avatar @munchkin3

Our annual meet offers "gymnastics" for siblings. There is an area roped off with mats, a rope and some blocks and some of the younger coaches volunteer to watch the kids. For $5 you can leave your child for a full flight. This isn't much help if you go to competitions that don't offer this service but it may be something to suggest for future competitions.

Hopefully some of your daughter's teammates have younger sibs as well! If you can't do a sitter, I also endorse the IPad idea. While I understand the difficulty of dragging a little one along to a meet, I must say that one of my favorite memories from last year was watching one of DS's teammates' little brothers "warming up" his floor routine while the guys were doing their open stretch. He was about two, and the one thing about meets he really got was the cheering part, so every time his big brother went, he would yell, "GO [BIG BROTHER!]" and "STICK IT!" His parents made him a teeshirt with "Go [big brother]!" emblazoned on it for states. We all almost died from the cuteness.

My current L10 and her twin were preschoolers when DD1 started competing. This was before iPads and iPhones, lol. We would take portable DVD player with headphones, Leappads, snacks, snacks and more snacks.

My youngest started tagging along to her sister's meets at age 3. I brought lots of snacks and activities for her to do. Got up an walked outside between rotations to break it up. She's never allowed to just roam the meet venue like many kids I see, even now at age 8.

Meets are the time when all electronics restrictions go out the window! I remember a pile of little boys huddled around the electrical outlet at states last year. My YDD was 7 when ODD started competing, so a lot less trouble. Hand her the Kindle and poke her when big sis is up. :D

Meets are the time when all electronics restrictions go out the window! I remember a pile of little boys huddled around the electrical outlet at states last year. My YDD was 7 when ODD started competing, so a lot less trouble. Hand her the Kindle and poke her when big sis is up. :D
Same here except it's Older Brother lol

Our annual meet offers "gymnastics" for siblings. There is an area roped off with mats, a rope and some blocks and some of the younger coaches volunteer to watch the kids. For $5 you can leave your child for a full flight. This isn't much help if you go to competitions that don't offer this service but it may be something to suggest for future competitions.

That is awesome!!!

I have always taken our youngest dd who is a handful! We always take a grandparent or 3, iPad, kindle, play dough, coloring books, barbies, blocks, and lots of special snacks. It's not easy but it won't always be hard, just focusing on that day!

What a great idea!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back