WAG Basic release moves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am looking to compete Xcel diamond which requires a release move or pirouette on bars. I think the release move is my best bet. What is considered the easiest or most basic release move? Thanks!

I am looking to compete Xcel diamond which requires a release move or pirouette on bars. I think the release move is my best bet. What is considered the easiest or most basic release move? Thanks!

I'm not really answering your question, but you could also do another circling skill min. of a ''B'' instead of a flight or pirouette.

I imagine it's best to work with your coach as to what skill is best for you.

I would think a pirouette I easier than a release move...
I am always surprised at how many girls struggle with the pirouette. We have about 20% of our girls competing a release move instead of a pirouette at L8 (and we have a pretty large team at this level). Low bar straddle cut catch as some one already suggested is usually the first option. OP - talk to your coaches to get their take. You need good spotting for many release moves.

DD's workout group has 8 girls. Six find the pirouette easiest. One finds the straddle back easiest. And one finds the straddle cut easiest. Your mileage will vary.

First one to admit I don't know anything about Xcel, but in JO, a back straddle or cut catch wouldn't qualify as a 'release move.' If those two, along with a half pirouette are all options, I would vote for the cut catch if you have a good kip. Good luck to you. :)

First one to admit I don't know anything about Xcel, but in JO, a back straddle or cut catch wouldn't qualify as a 'release move.' If those two, along with a half pirouette are all options, I would vote for the cut catch if you have a good kip. Good luck to you. :)
Hmmmm. Very confused by this comment. Has something changed? We've had girls on our team compete a cut catch in lieu of a pirouette the last two seasons and they never had an issue. I wonder if this is semantics. I assume OP is referring to a "bar change" when she says release move.

I'm not really answering your question, but you could also do another circling skill min. of a ''B'' instead of a flight or pirouette.

Yes - release move, pirouette or second, different B circling skill meets the requirement. And remember, a skill that is done on low and high bar counts as doing 2 different skills. (ie, clear hip on low and clear hip on high routine meets all requirements)

Thanks for the replies. I remember hearing that a straddle cut had to be competed on high bar to be a release but I'm not sure if that's true or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back