WAG L5 Bars - Judge this routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The deductions that were most likely taken are:
.1 insufficient extension of glide (first kip)
.1 bent legs in cast
.1 bent arms in cast
.1 incorrect head alignment in cast
.1 arch into downswing of clear hip
.1 bent arms in clear hip
.1 bent legs into the kip
.1 failure to lead with feet forward in glide
.1 bent legs in high bar cast
.1 incorrect head alignment on cast
.1 bent arms on long hang pullover
.2 hips contacting the bar on long hang pullover (should be at thighs)
.1 for lack of amplitude/extension of underswing
.1 incorrect head alignment on second tap
Final Score: 8.5
This is one of those routines with so much potential that gets "tenthed to death". Notice that only one deduction was more that one tenth. Her main problem is bent arms/legs & head position, which are relatively easy fixes. She has beautiful amplitude on her casts! With a few minor fixes she could easily be in the nines. My score may be lower than her actual score because I had a video from a different angle that I could pause & rewind. Also I'm a very new judge:) For comparison, what was the actual score?

Difference:
(1) Clear hip may finish below horizontal (as measured by shape and grip shift). From the vid the angle is hard to determine.
(2) jump to HB is an arched shape and should receive shape deduction.
(3) tap swings are not all horizontal

In addition I see:
(1) Knees tucking in prep for flyaway
(2) head dropping on flyaway
(3) the flyaway below HB height.

In my gym, it is because I like our gymnasts that I view their skills critically. I hope my replies are taken as such. Generally it is a nice routine and good basic techniques.

The routine shows your gymnasts hard work Kayjabe. It looks like her coaches have a solid bar worker developing. Best for the remainder of the season, SBG -

Last edited:
We were very happy with her score, which was a 9.325, so sounds like the judges were not overly-critical, based on the posts here.

Quick question - does she lose any points for holding that cast handstand? This is the first time she's done one in a meet and she was just trying not to go over!

I'm with flippinam- great base routine but lots of little things- archy back, bent arms/legs, low clear hip, low tap swings, just small stuff that adds up. She looks to be a great bar worker- love those casts and how she goes "big" throughout the routine. Lots of my girls struggle with being timid on bars and that certainly isn't a problem here. All the problem areas are pretty simple fixes with time and repetition, I think she should be scoring very well in no time.

We were very happy with her score, which was a 9.325, so sounds like the judges were not overly-critical, based on the posts here.

Quick question - does she lose any points for holding that cast handstand? This is the first time she's done one in a meet and she was just trying not to go over!
There is no deduction for holding the handstand like she did, but there is a deduction for arching to avoid going over (which I don't think she really did on this routine). She's a great bar worker with loads of potential! The first time watching the routine I had her at about a 9.1-9.2 which is in line with what she actually scored:) Then I went back through a few more times & found more things each time.

There is no deduction for holding the handstand like she did, but there is a deduction for arching to avoid going over (which I don't think she really did on this routine). She's a great bar worker with loads of potential! The first time watching the routine I had her at about a 9.1-9.2 which is in line with what she actually scored:) Then I went back through a few more times & found more things each time.

I guess it is a good thing that the judges can't replay the routines over and over again. ;-)

Well it just depends where you live (score). That may be the norm in your area. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back