WAG Bar deductions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

onebrokegymmum

Coach
Proud Parent

Have seen all the wonderful judging explanations videos going around, and thought that since we got these wonderful slow motion copies of their bar routines I might try too! Wondering if anyone can explain what she might be losing marks on here (Its Australian level 4 so cast requirement is horizontal and kip/ cast are not required to be connected)

Thanking you all

Not sure what I like better, your gymnast or video! Both are VERY well done. :)
Enjoyed so much, almost forgot to comment. ;) It's obviously great, even without knowing the first thing about Australian gymnastic deductions. Great form, detail, head position, body shape and alignment. If you want to give her a small correction or two, just so she doesn't get too big of a head ;) you can look at her arms which are flexed (great example of flexed vs. bent) in her cast squat on to the high bar. She releases her hips and stomach slightly on the front side of her tap swings, and in America, it's a deduction to let go of the bar when doing a long hang pull over. But you give me a gym full of girls just like her, and I'll suffer through....... ;)

Not en expert so just guessing.
first cast, not fully horizontal, feet are below horizontal
Is cast squat on supposed to be horizontal?
Jump to high bar she arches
Baby giant., I believe she should be over the bar before hips connect with the bar, aslo pikes on that.
legs apart on dismount

Just my guesses though

The competition organised professional photographers for this one, we were quite thrilled to have the slow motion copies! Hoping this takes off everywhere (could never get videos this good myself!!) She (and the rest of her team) got very low scores for their routines so I was wondering where she is going wrong - pretty sure the deductions/ errors would be very similar! .Thanks for the advice - especially on the pullover/ baby giant, we were wondering where shes losing all those marks!

I wonder too about the cast before the dismount too. Is it supposed to be horizontal before bringing the legs to the bar.

She looks beautiful though, nice tight legs, pointed toes etc.

Here we have a competitive program that has a bar routine pretty similar to this one.

For the baby giant, gymnasts are required to have straight arms, and not let go the hands. I'd also say her cast isn't horizontal. Here we use the feet to determine if they are high enough or not. Which I kind of disagree as a gymnast will perform will be given credit compared to one who have great body alignement but doesn't go high enough.

Maybe a bit piky at the hips in the back of her swings?

By the way, that's a really nice dismount!

Ive actually noticed the same thing with bars judging Catou, Ive seen gymnasts placing first on bars who left out the cast entirely, and gymnasts with terrible arched casts who score (significantly) higher than gymnasts with good shape who dont quite make the height requirement, its a bit of a shame that the judging criteria pushes that way, but I guess it will even out somewhere down the track! Thanks for your feedback

Wow what a beautiful video and routine! She has gorgeous form! The main things that I saw (I have no idea the point values in the Australian code) were:
cast below horizontal
back arched jumping to the high bar
ever so slightest arch in the tap swing forward/pike in the counterswing (I don't know if I'd even deduct for that)
bent arms on the long hang pullover complete release of hands from the bar (.3 in the USAG code, so it's a relatively large deduction here)
piking in the upswing of the long hang pullover
flexing the toes before placing them on the bar in the pike on

Overall she has a great routine! :) That's interesting that the cast height is determined from the feet. I think that would make for some ugly archy/bent legged casts scoring higher or equally, which doesn't seem right. Here it's determined by a line from the shoulders to the midpoint of the lowest part of the body (feet, abdomen, knees etc).

It's hard to score it when you don't know the amplitude deductions. It's not any of the USAG routine but I suppose using Xcel Gold or Platinum rules you could score it, but that would be useless. What are the specific swing angles? Also, even if the kip and cast are not required to be connected, I'd assume there's a rhythm deduction.

Also it would be better to see it in real time for scoring purposes.

It's a very good routine, she should be able to make changes easily. The thing that stands out is the long hang pullover, but that's kind of hard to do from a tap swing so I'm not sure what the requirements are on that. In the US we also have a specific deduction for hips contacting the bar on that, as well as releasing the hands, she could have gotten a ton off on that between specific deductions, rhythm, and bent arms but it's hard to say exactly without knowing what the specific deductions are. Still I would say there's your problem area, if she did that shifting to mid upper thigh, straight arms with no pause then that would be the goal, but since she has to stop and do a toe on dismount that's hard (would be better to go into an underswing). Is this an entirely compulsory routine?

It is a compulsory routine, the kip is a bonus (replacing 2 glide swings and a chin up pullover), the dismount has the option of toe shoot or underswing

Ah, I see. I think going into the underswing would be easier, to do the cast toe on you have to stop which means you can't go into the baby giant with proper momentum. Did the teams that were scoring higher by any chance do the underswing? However, your daughters coach may want them to work on the cast toe on to prepare for future skills.

Reactions: sce
She has bent arms in the kip (.1 or .3)and although the kip and cast don't need to be connected to get the bonus/core skill the routine can not have any extra swings so she would have lost .5 as she swung her legs between the kip and the cast. The cast was below horizontal so she will have lost .3 plus it would have been border line to get paid as the core skill so it wouldn't surprise me if she only had a 4.7 start value. These are in addition to the errors noted by the other posters. Judging on day 2 was hard with low 13s for routines that were connected and had casts above horizontal (judges in oz take the lowest body part for amplitude), my guess is that it scored somewhere between low 12 to high 12 depending on if they paid the cast as core skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back