WAG Cast or splint?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
My 8 year old Level 4 DD broke her pinky a week ago. For a few days she had a splint from the ER and we kept her out of gym. The hand Dr. we then saw wasn't sure whether she should get a cast or a splint, but given her age and activity level, he went with a short cast that holds two fingers. She loves having the cast because she feels free to do more gymnastics given how protected the pinky is. She is doing lots of front and back tucks, aerials, practicing aerials on beam, lots of leaps, dance, starting tucks on beam...

We may have an option of switching back to a splint soon or sticking with the cast for 3 weeks more. Seems ideal in some ways to switch-- when bone was starting to heal, make it solid. Then switch to splint to give her some more finger/wrist mobility so this won't be the limitation when the bone has healed. On the other hand, the cast is making her feel confident that she won't re-injure the finger and is enabling her to train some fun/challenging stuff-- at least on floor and beam. We have no meets/big events until end of February.

Any advice? We see Dr. on Wednesday and it may be up to us. Anyone whose hand has been casted for a month know how long post casting to get back grip/strength/flexibility? Or has anyone practiced with a splint and was that scary? I'd love any thoughts as input to our appointment this week. spint? cast? splint? cast? Thank you!

My dd had a splint when she broke her finger and it was fine and protected enough for her. She had it a month. It took about 3-4 weeks for her to get her skills back, although she did struggle a bit longer on consistency on bars.

My dd had a splint when she broke her finger and it was fine and protected enough for her. She had it a month. It took about 3-4 weeks for her to get her skills back, although she did struggle a bit longer on consistency on bars.
My4buffaloes did she train with the splint on? Thanks!

S P L I N T , immobilizing the wrist just prolongs the recovery by several weeks.

We've been through two broken fingers for two different kids in this household, and neither was casted. I would be concerned about losing mobility in the wrist as well. The gymnast (DS) worked out some with the splint on, but was pretty limited until he was cleared to go. Mostly just strength and conditioning. The non-gymnast managed OK, though he had to take a few weeks off trombone and missed the end of his JV soccer season.

She trained with the splint on and it was fine. Just couldn't use her hands.

I work at a school and we see a lot of broken bones. I have noticed that if the break in a finger is down low or in the lowest joint they tend to cast. If it is higher up they will splint.

was this posted in the 70's? a cast for a broken finger?? splint then buddy tape. :)
U should see what they cast here in Orange County ... Everything , Drives me insane.

Those little finger joints get stiff, too, when immobilized, enough to cause several weeks of reduced range of motion. It may be better to find out from the dr how much motion is allowed and when, and move the finger/wrist as a several-times-daily exercise, and wear the splint on the finger the rest of the time.

definitely splint, her fingers will get way to stiff and after the cast came off, she would have a harder time with skills than she would if she uses a splint

If the doctor is insistent on the cast, you could try what I am doing currently. 3 weeks ago I landed a change leg to ring wrong on beam and broke my ankle :( luckily it was an avulsion fracture rather than a full on break, most likely because I tore the ligaments last year and was treated incorrectly. Anyways, after three weeks of full immobilisation the doctor wanted to keep the plaster on but start weight baring, so we came to the agreement to make it removable so I can take it off for showers, icing etc. So now my cast is like a split but more supportive and I have a walking shoe thing to wear when I'm out to help :)

Hope this helps, the only reason I wanted a split/boot rather than plaster was because it was so swollen and I wanted to do strap bar work :)

Thanks all for your input. Went back to the dr. today and asked about switching to a splint. The bone is healing well, but he wants to keep her casted two more weeks (total of three). Then maybe nothing or maybe one week of a splint. He said she should get full flexibility back post cast in 1-2 weeks (given her youth). We shall see. As others have mentioned, the cast may be because the break was the near the hand and a Salter Harris type 2 fracture (affecting the growth plate). Although dr. stuck to his plan and I'll respect it, it was great to have all your input for our discussion today. Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back