Off Topic Appendicitis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2-4

Proud Parent
My DD is in hospital possible appendicitis she asked me how long off of practice I really don't know. I just want her healthy. Does anyone know approx time off. She is so upset about meet season starting in 3 weeks.

I think that will depend on the outcome....if she has surgery, even a scope, I would think she'd be limited/restricted for about a month. I hope she feels better.

I think that will depend on the outcome....if she has surgery, even a scope, I would think she'd be limited/restricted for about a month. I hope she feels better.
Thanks That sounds about right. I am pretty sure it will be scope.

My dd have an appendectomy in July. She was out of all activities for 2 weeks and then slowly worked her way back.. She was back to school though in 5 days.. She bounced back very quickly.. Walkovers were very difficult as was bars due to the stretching of the skin, take it slowly. I hope she is ok...

It depends on a lot of factors. One of our upper level boys had his out and he was out for about a month, and then back very slowly.

My dd have an appendectomy in July. She was out of all activities for 2 weeks and then slowly worked her way back.. She was back to school though in 5 days.. She bounced back very quickly.. Walkovers were very difficult as was bars due to the stretching of the skin, take it slowly. I hope she is ok...
She is off school after this week, will have appendectomy later this am. Those gymnast are tough but I can imagine bars will be tough. She has been training a roundoff for beam that would probably be much easier when she first comes back. She is looking so forward to Chicago Style Meet in Feb. I hope she feels better by then. The good news is not really anything new since last year. So if she needs to scratch an event or meet it won't hurt her training much. We will take it easy and see how it goes.

It's nice to be able to throw a question out here like that and have parents understand. And have great info. It's not a question most people understand. Non gymmies can resume activities rather quickly their activities don't involve tumbling and twisting motions.

Good luck hope everything goes well. I went through it with my son, not a gymnast, but was back playing soccer about 3 weeks after surgery. I wouldn't let him play goalie though for another couple of weeks, he was bummed

My daughter was level 8 at the time and 11 years old.. She had her surgery on June 3 by July 20 she had all if her skills back, then fractured her elbow but that's another story! She will bounce back quickly! Get medera for her scars too

One girl on my dds team had emergency appendectomy and was out for about three weeks. She came back slowly, but now, you'd never know she was gone at all. Good luck to her, I hope she heals quickly!! That's scary!!

Awesome! my dd went to her gym to visit that day after she returned from the hospital... I would say five days after she went to the beach just to lay around, by ten days she was back in the gym( slowly but surely is key- her coach is amazing with injuries and recovery though too)

I had my appendix removed in July. I was back on a tramp six days later (that was stupid but I am stubborn) doing tiny jumps but happy to be there. I was somersaulting by day 8 or 9 I think, back to doing most of my skills (but not the biggest or scariest) after two and a half weeks. After a month I felt completely normal except when doing stuff that stretched the skin/any kind of back extension.

I'm old by most gymnast standards at 21 though, so she may well recover quicker than me!

Hope your DD heals quickly! A boy in my 4th grade class had his appendix taken out and was out of taekwondo for a few weeks.

I had a pelvic op about 18 months ago and I went to the gym (not gymnastics) after a week. Stretching was the big issue for awhile and I did a yoga class after 8 days and could only do about half properly. Probably should have probably waited longer.
But I am also old.

I hope she's doing well! Appendicitis is awful, my sister had it a year ago.

DD is doing great post Lap appendectomy. Feeling pretty good. Will be back to the gym on Wednesday, Tuesday will be two weeks. She has visited a few times. She will probably take it slow to start. I told her maybe have a spot for a few events just in case. Or start on trampoline. She is a little off on endurance easily winded from running up the stairs. Etc. She thinks she will be competing all events in 3 weeks at her first meet of the season. We will see. Thanks for all of the well wishes. I will keep you updated on the meet.:)

She will be back sooner than you think! my dd had the most difficulty with walk overs and anything that really stretched the abdominal a at first( bars too) she was back to tumbling very quickly though! In three weeks she will be back to her old self!! good luck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back