WAG Rec program question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Moxiegrl83

Proud Parent
What kind of award/badge/progression charts does your gyms rec program use? Do you give out report cards? How often do you test or do you test at all?

No rewards or badges. Every 4 months the coaches evaluate the kids. Report cards are given out so you can see what skills need improvement, etc.

Evals are informal. The rec coaches know what their girls can do... They promote them as they see fit. We have:
Mommy and Me (18 months -3 years old)
If they are ready to practice without having an adult right there with them the entire time, they can move to Squeaky Sneakers before the age of 3 since they learn basically the same things.
Preschool "Squeaky Sneakers" (3-5 years old)
If they are ready to practice 15 minutes longer and have good listening skills, they can move into the Progressive classes early. Squeaky Sneakers and P1 learn the same things, so if they have mastered them, they can move into P2.
Progressive Program... (Ages 6 & Up... based on the Old Levels and the old Level 1-4 Athlete Report Card)
Progressive 1 (Beginner level, can't do at least 75% of the L1 skills)
Progressive 2 (can do at least 75% of the L1 skills... or be 10+ and can do at least 50% of the L1 skills)
Progressive 3 (can do at least 75% of the L2 skills... or be 10+ and able to do at least 50% of the L2 skills).

Evals are informal. The rec coaches know what their girls can do... They promote them as they see fit. We have:
Mommy and Me (18 months -3 years old)
If they are ready to practice without having an adult right there with them the entire time, they can move to Squeaky Sneakers before the age of 3 since they learn basically the same things.
Preschool "Squeaky Sneakers" (3-4 years old)
If they are ready to practice 15 minutes longer and have good listening skills, they can move into the Progressive classes early. Squeaky Sneakers and P1 learn the same things, so if they have mastered them, they can move into P2.
Progressive Program... (Ages 5 & Up... based on the Old Levels and the old Level 1-4 Athlete Report Card)
Progressive 1 (Beginner level, can't do at least 75% of the L1 skills)
Progressive 2 (can do at least 75% of the L1 skills... or be 10+ and can do at least 50% of the L1 skills)
Progressive 3 (can do at least 75% of the L2 skills... or be 10+ and able to do at least 50% of the L2 skills).
EDITED TO ADJUST AGES!

At our gym the Rec program is pretty organized considering the huge amount of children in it. They divide the classes up according to ages and every class each level is assigned several coaches. The coaches have a "report card" for each child enrolled with required skills on it. When they complete the skills required they are signed off on by the coach that witnessed the child complete the skill the required number of times. At that point they are invited to test by the coach filling out a form for them to carry to their parents. The parent then registers the child for the test (once a month) and pays the testing fee. The tests are always once a month early on Saturday morning 8-10 before open gym. The head coach of the developmental level then takes them around to each apparatus and tests the skills. The coach then signs off on the bottom of the report card. The report card is then brought to the office and the child is registered for the developmental level progression classes.

*This progression is followed pretty rigorously through levels rec through entrance to 4. It is written on the report cards that to progress the child has to have 100% of the current level skills and at least 80% of the next level, and rec is considered a level

The report cards are never sent home and the only time the parents usually see them is when they are signed by the coaches and they are bringing them to the office to register for the testing. However, DD coaches did give me a blank report card so that I could see the skills for each level on paper.

We get blue, silver, or gold stickers on our charts with blue being the worst and gold being the best. My gym tried to organize this by putting them in a book so you could look at your chart anytime but they forgot a lot of people! I haven't been back in the gym for awhile because I've been injured so I don't know how that worked out! We test every other month but only finish testing if no one moves up. I'm not very happy with that, just because I'm not someone you will be able to get on team in a few months I don't get to find out how I'm doing?

In our rec program the children are tested twice a year (term 1 and term 3) and have to progress through 4 levels of Rec before going into team(ish) unless they are talent scouted by the head coach and put into squad. After testing the skills are put into a report card and sent home with the badge they tested for or stickers if they didn't pass...

The gym that I coach at gives out "evaluations" (little report cards) to gymnasts at the end of every session (9 weeks not including any holiday breaks like thanksgiving/Christmas/etc.) which is a little too often in my opinion. By the time you start to get to know your class its time to start a new session. Also, if kids miss even one class its hard to tell because you only see them 7 times before you have to give out evaluations (this way kids can get signed up for the appropriate classes for the following sessions).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back