Parents To TOPS or not to TOPS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stoshy40

Proud Parent
I have heard mixed feelings as to whether its the route to go or not. Clearly if a young girl is in TOPS she is already well on her way to success at a somewhat higher level. My question is though, is TOPS the way to go in order to obtain a very successful career in gymnastics. By very, I mean D1 college or a chance to compete with the National Team at some level.

What is the typical path that girls these days are taking that want to pursue that level of competition? I assume it's not necessary to compete in the TOPS program but certainly helpful.

Does it really depend on the coaches and gym that she trains at?

Any advice and guidance is appreciated.

It's about getting the exposure to the National team staff.

If you are at an established Elite gym which produces National team members, Tops is not a route needed to get in the door. They already have ties to the national team staff.

Tops for our gym has been a way to get noticed by the people who help to train the National team. Tops can put you on the radar then it is up to the athlete to do the rest.

You can also send video's to get an invitation.

bogwoppit is correct coaches send video's not parents :)

Also, Tops can be a precursor to Hopes and Elite compulsories. The routines are very similar although a bit harder. If you can make it to the Elite Compulsories and score well you become part of a much smaller group which can capture the attention to D1 schools as I understand it.

My DD (8) has been doing TOPS for the last two years. She has her college team picked out :) but I don't think she knows too much about various future paths (D1, national team, etc.). I do think if she wants to and is capable of pursuing any of those paths that TOPs is helping her a lot. Not just the exposure, but the training, the competitions, the additional summer season. She is being pushed and challenged each year to reach higher level skills than she might if she were just doing JO. She likes that challenge so it is really good for her.

NCAA, even D1? Eh not really. It would be extremely important to be at a gym with consistent level 10s and a level 10 coaching staff.

National team? They seem to be pushing entering the developmental program, so around 10 if I had a gymnast who could do the skills and physical abilities, and I thought had the right attitude and a shot, I'd put her in. Yes, I know that is the last year but I disagree with testing a child on this path before 10 years old/ at least level 8 skills.

I have heard mixed feelings as to whether its the route to go or not. Clearly if a young girl is in TOPS she is already well on her way to success at a somewhat higher level. My question is though, is TOPS the way to go in order to obtain a very successful career in gymnastics. By very, I mean D1 college or a chance to compete with the National Team at some level.

What is the typical path that girls these days are taking that want to pursue that level of competition? I assume it's not necessary to compete in the TOPS program but certainly helpful.

Does it really depend on the coaches and gym that she trains at?

Any advice and guidance is appreciated.

no

POINT 1: NCAA, even D1? Eh not really. It would be extremely important to be at a gym with consistent level 10s and a level 10 coaching staff.

POINT 2: National team? They seem to be pushing entering the developmental program, so around 10 if I had a gymnast who could do the skills and physical abilities, and I thought had the right attitude and a shot, I'd put her in. Yes, I know that is the last year but I disagree with testing a child on this path before 10 years old/ at least level 8 skills.

Point 1: Totally agree here, if you're not at a gym with consistent Level 10s AND a legit level 10 coaching staff, a TOPS program isn't going to help you get to NCAA gymnastics or the National Team . TOPS is a good conditioning program but it is not the be all , end all for success in gymnastics....good coaching and a good gym are what is necessary for success in this sport.

Point 2: I couldn't agree more with the no testing before age 10 (for HOPES/Elite) or at least Level 10 because before that level (Madison Kocian being the exception a few years back when she dominated Westerns and tested right through to Elite) they just don't have the skills needed to make the scores required so why waste the parents money and time just to say a kid "tested elite/HOPES" . To me , there should be prerequisites for signing up for an elite/HOPES qualifier, like say , doing well at Level 10 with at least 36/37 AA at meets.....you don't get to "sign up" for JO Nationals or any Level 10 (without being a 10) meet and "see how you do" so I never got why there hasn't ever been a requirement for elite qualifiers, because I see Elite as beyond Level 10....but TOPS alone will not get you there either..

bookworm

Point 2: I couldn't agree more with the no testing before age 10 (for HOPES/Elite) or at least Level 10 because before that level (Madison Kocian being the exception a few years back when she dominated Westerns and tested right through to Elite) they just don't have the skills needed to make the scores required so why waste the parents money and time just to say a kid "tested elite/HOPES" . To me , there should be prerequisites for signing up for an elite/HOPES qualifier, like say , doing well at Level 10 with at least 36/37 AA at meets.....you don't get to "sign up" for JO Nationals or any Level 10 (without being a 10) meet and "see how you do" so I never got why there hasn't ever been a requirement for elite qualifiers, because I see Elite as beyond Level 10....but TOPS alone will not get you there either.

I agree, tons of kids qualify "elite" at the various camps and qualifiers, but then do not make champs. They need to be strong L10's before testing elite. Otherwise they are just fodder to feed the machine.

[QUOTE="bogwoppit, post: 357130, member: 389"
I agree, tons of kids qualify "elite" at the various camps and qualifiers, but then do not make champs. They need to be strong L10's before testing elite. Otherwise they are just fodder to feed the machine.
[/QUOTE]

And actually , tons don't even qualify!!! They get optional scores in the 40s and say that they "are elite" because they went to a qualifier....they need to be a really strong 10, and even some of them don't do well at these qualifiers, before the discussion even comes up for testing. Sorry but attendance at a qualifier does not equal being an elite...

Nope. Plus we all know that some of those "qualifiers" include "do overs" and events competed over the space of a few days.

Just being in TOPs is not a guarantee for anyone. I agree you need a great coaching and a talented athlete. It is an avenue to get noticed by the National team staff. The previous Olympic team was comprised of TOPs athletes.
I also agree attendance at an elite qualifier does not make an elite athlete. You do need to score well.

We haven't been in this sport long so I'm no expert, but I'm told JO is not a focus for our elite program. The level of difficulty is not the same. Winning JO meets are not the priority.

NCAA, even D1? Eh not really. It would be extremely important to be at a gym with consistent level 10s and a level 10 coaching staff.

good coaching and a good gym are what is necessary for success in this sport.

What determines "good coaching" and level 10 coaching staff and a "good gym"? Is there somewhere I can go to see what level the coaches are at my gymnast's gym?

Have to agree that if a child is serious about trying to qualify Elite, JO is probably not the focus. At my DD's gym, girls are identified around L8 or L9 for the program so they aren't necessarily L10s when they start intensive training. While they practice JO routines, they don't spend a ton of time perfecting them. Their focus is on their elite routines which are much more intense than the JO routines. Those girls usually only do an event or two at a meet and may skip JO meets because the elite qualifiers are during the JO season. The wear and tear on their bodies is enormous!

In terms of determing good coaching. Look at the gym's past performance. Do they have girls going to Easterns/Westerns/Nationals? How many girls have gotten scholarships in the last few years? If your daughter is serious about Elite, do they have elites? Do any of the coaches go to the Ranch regularly. A fair number of gyms don't want to get involved in the elite program because of the time and money committment.

If your daughter has the opportunity to participate in TOPS and is motivated to do it on her own, then I say go for it! It has been an overwhelmingly wonderful experience for my daughter. She just got back from camp and had a blast, met many new friends and National team staff. It was the experience of a lifetime for her. There are pros and cons to the program, but isn't there with anything in life? Just keep in mind that there are no guarantees and have her keep her goals attainable. But I recommend it if the opportunity is there for you. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back