Coaches Clearhips stuck at the same height

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First meet in two weeks for level 5s. Routines are coming interns of endurance and connections. Flyaways and baby giants are getting better. Clearhips seem to about the same as they were months ago, with the exception of a couple kids. Most of them are hitting horizontal but I'm not seeing much improvement. I'm not sure what to do now, especially since we don't have the time to go back to drills.

First meet in two weeks ........I'm not sure what to do now, especially since we don't have the time to go back to drills.

IMO, it is the time for clear-hip drills. You have already seen those clear-hips oodles of times. Time for a change.

If the gymnasts are performing consistent routines with clear-hips horizontal or below they are ready for a routine with that skill. You have seen them, you know what they will score and you know the issue of the skill - time for a change.

Quick suggestion - Throw a stack of mats/spotting block/resi behind low bar and encourage opening. Competitions to see who opens up higher (we call it "climb the wall"). Side stations emphasizing the technical change you desire. Perhaps it is emphasizing the drop shape. Another station is a coach spotting station on another bar set. Another station is a UB set so the athletes can perform a routine.

No time like the present for a change, IMO. Best, SBG -

Jjjjjjuuuuusssssttttt keep spotting them! Set of 3 during routines! And tell the to shape/scoop earlier!

Bar coach; +1 to Coachp's reply.

The concept of in-bar scooping, aggressive drop and open can be benefited by reps assisted by a coach. Easy to say, hard work in the short term - but pays off. A rotation of 9 with 10 sets of repeated clear-hips is a lot of spots. Switch spotting sides, make use of a "spotting monkey" (another helping coach) and if you are carrying athletes thru the entire skill - re-evaluate the Workout Planner as they are not ready.

Bar coach, you may benefit from my realization not a month ago. I realized that my Optionals UB fitness was not were it needed to be. The gymnasts would finish a routine and they would be tired. I started adding to my Workout Planner two shape conditioning and two UB drill side stations immediately following the routine. Within 2 weeks the gymnasts were doing UB routines without the visible fatigue. Improvement - the stations have stayed.

My shoulders ache thinking about in-bar skills today, SBG -

I currently only coach vault..but have a child in gymnastics so I venture to the other events occasionally ;) what I notice that seems to be working for our girls, is doing freehips in the strap bar. Not sure if they are scared to open up too early on the regular bar, so they dont go as hard, or what. If you have a strap bar, I'd suggest having them try some in there.

Clearhips seem to about the same as they were months ago, with the exception of a couple kids. Most of them are hitting horizontal but I'm not seeing much improvement. .

BarCoach; I was reminded of your query yesterday as our L5 coach, post State Meet now, asked for assistance in having her team gymnasts clear hips open up more. I provided much the same answer as I posted here and added sole-circle kick outs. I call them "sole-giants with a kick." Just as the gymnast complex the grip shift they open the shoulders and snap the feet out behind the bar. Eventually they start opening earlier. The opening of "sole-giants," my precursor to toe HS, seems to work with this level of gymnasts to re-enforce the grip shift and open. It certainly does not help the CH drop shape, but that can be covered in different drills. I watched the rotation yesterday and the gymnasts enjoyed the "different" drill and then I watched clear hips start to open up. Serendipity - I imagine so. Whatever works. This coach is passionate, smart and cares about the girls - I imagine whatever she tackles will have success. Yesterday, I got to applaud coach/athlete efforts and outcomes.

In any case, I was thinking of your post and wanted to follow-up.

How are the CH's?

Best to you and your gymnasts, SBG -

Clear hips are like watching a palm tree grow . S l o w

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back