WAG Beam in 6, 7, 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
What are the most commonly competed series on beam in early optional levels? When is BHSBHS commonly competed?

The BHS-BHS series is definitely common in level 8, I've never seen it as a series in Levels 6 or 7. I've noticed the BWO-BWO series is very common for Level 7, although I've also seen BWO-BHS. In Level 6 you rarely see a series since it's not required. In the end it depends on what works well for your gymnast.

My dd did bhs, bwo for level 8 last year. It's a hard series to connect, but I think she always got credit for it. This year, she's doing bhs, bhs. She's moving toward bhs, b layout step out.

My daughter did BWO BWO in L7 and is doing BWO BHS for level 8 this year. If she had BHS BHS coach would have her compete that. I see BHS BHS a lot at L8 here and I saw lots of BWO BHS at L7.

At DD's gym, there is no L6, so I can't help you there, but the minimum acro for L7 is BWO-BWO, which progresses to HS-BHS and BWO-BHS, and at L8, the minimum acro is BWO-BHS, which progresses to BHS-BHS. L9's minimum is BHS-BHS, progressing to BHS-BT or BHS-BLO.

Our gym likes BWO-BHS at 6 and 7, but will allow BWO-BWO and single BHS at both levels if gymmie is struggling. Will also allow HS-BHS at 6. At level 8 they want BHS-BHS. I think they will also allow FWO tick-tock and other FWO things for both level 6 and 7, but it is not the norm.

This is what they train for and what they want, as it always sets the girls up for easy progression to the next level. However, some kids might be excelling at floor, for example, but struggle with beam or bars. So, they have started trying to make concessions with what they WANT v. what gymmie HAS. This way, gymmie can upgrade on events where she is strong and not be held back with training or competition. That flexibility is a new concept for us, they used to be very strict in what they expected.

Level 6 does not need a back handspring, but probably half of our level 6s compete it. All of them do bwo bwo except one or two. Level 7 does bwo bwo usually but last year a couple of them competed bwo bhs. Level 8 is split with some doing bwo bhs and some doing bhs bhs

DD is competing seven and has HS-BHS as backup, planning on competing BHS-BHS and is working beginning stages BHS-BLOSO for next year. Other events, not beam, kept her from competing eight this season, so she is quite a bit ahead of the curve on beam at our gym.

None of our level sixes compete connections,, at least as of yet. They compete BHS if they have it and BWO if they don't. No problem scoring well like this. For seven, we have some doing BWO-BWO and separate BHS, some doing BWO-BHS. For eight, most do BHS-BHS, but I have seen both BWO-BHS and BHS-BLOSO as well.

I was at a meet last week, and one of the level 7 teams on a very high scoring gym had all their girls do a HS-BHS. It didn't seem like a difficult skill, but all the girls scored very well on beam compared to girls that attempted a more difficult series. Since I am not gymnast, is it true that HS-BHS is simpler than, say a tic-toc BHS or a BWO-BHS ? Also, given two equally clean routines, would a judge score one series higher than the other?

I was at a meet last week, and one of the level 7 teams on a very high scoring gym had all their girls do a HS-BHS. It didn't seem like a difficult skill, but all the girls scored very well on beam compared to girls that attempted a more difficult series. Since I am not gymnast, is it true that HS-BHS is simpler than, say a tic-toc BHS or a BWO-BHS ? Also, given two equally clean routines, would a judge score one series higher than the other?
There is no bonus at Level 7, so they can't score one series higher than the other... it is just a mater of how clean they are... they take what is done and look for deductions. :) That is why some gyms compete easier, but cleaner routines and outscore gyms that compete harder routines that might not be as clean!

There is no bonus at Level 7, so they can't score one series higher than the other... it is just a mater of how clean they are... they take what is done and look for deductions. :) That is why some gyms compete easier, but cleaner routines and outscore gyms that compete harder routines that might not be as clean!

That is why some gyms compete easier, but cleaner routines and outscore gyms that compete harder routines that might not be as clean!
Boy we found that out! DD was the only Xcel gold in her age group to do the BHS on the beam (it was crazy wobbly, but she stayed on!!!) and most other girls that I saw fell off at some point, and she only scored a 6.75! I'm still proud of her for doing the bigger skill, and now we know what to work on. At this point they don't want her focusing on scores anyway.

DD just filled me in on the older girls. 7s do BWO BWO and separate BHS and 8s do BHS BHS.

Does anyone know about FWO BHS? Is that an acceptable series, if connected properly?

Yes, it is an acceptable series if connected properly. A friend's daughter does it and it looks very cool, plus it's nice to see something different. I don't know how hard it is to get credit for it or not though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back