WAG About what age do vestibular issues start cropping up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD describes her BWO-BWO as losing herself after the first one. Doesn't know where she is and can't control her body, meaning she goes way too fast (but can't slow down) and this does not allow her brain to catch up to her body. It is like a bit of vertigo as she explains it. Other backwards stuff she does not have that problem, particularly on floor. I believe this is because she "knows where the floor is." Her brain has tons of experience walking on the floor and knowing it is the lowest point, so spatially there is not "vertigo-like" confusion. But on beam, well, we all know the beam is NOT the lowest point.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences and stories. It is always nice to hear how these things affect other children and get advice on how to handle it. I am an advice seeker by nature and find other experiences helpful.

To be honest, I'm not sure of exactly how my DD would describe it other than the brief description I got. After reading this thread, on the way to gym yesterday, I reminded her about our conversation the night before and just told her that she was having a temporary issue that would resolve itself and that she shouldn't think that she was a bad gymnast, beam worker, or athlete because of it.

Told her I loved her, believed in her, and was still in awe of all the incredible things she could do right now at this moment both in and out of the gym. I left the door open for her to talk if she wanted or if she wanted to have some privates to deal with it but other than that, I don't plan on bringing it up again.

This past 6 months have been the most difficult so far in her young life but she still loves the sport and keeps believing in her ability to gain new skills. I guess in my eyes, her continued dedication is the win...and WHEN she gets her series connected again, well, that will just be icing on the cupcake.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences and stories. It is always nice to hear how these things affect other children and get advice on how to handle it. I am an advice seeker by nature and find other experiences helpful.

To be honest, I'm not sure of exactly how my DD would describe it other than the brief description I got. After reading this thread, on the way to gym yesterday, I reminded her about our conversation the night before and just told her that she was having a temporary issue that would resolve itself and that she shouldn't think that she was a bad gymnast, beam worker, or athlete because of it.

Told her I loved her, believed in her, and was still in awe of all the incredible things she could do right now at this moment both in and out of the gym. I left the door open for her to talk if she wanted or if she wanted to have some privates to deal with it but other than that, I don't plan on bringing it up again.

This past 6 months have been the most difficult so far in her young life but she still loves the sport and keeps believing in her ability to gain new skills. I guess in my eyes, her continued dedication is the win...and WHEN she gets her series connected again, well, that will just be icing on the cupcake.
Yes!!! The life lessons that she will learn from this will far supersede the gymnastics accomplishments. :)

@cbifoja | I want to meet your daughter and see her in action. I feel like I could learn a thing or two from her perseverance and attitude! I've been following your posts over the months about her current struggles and find it fascinating and inspiring that she continues to keep truckin', despite all of the adversity.

@cbifoja | I want to meet your daughter and see her in action. I feel like I could learn a thing or two from her perseverance and attitude! I've been following your posts over the months about her current struggles and find it fascinating and inspiring that she continues to keep truckin', despite all of the adversity.

Well what an overwhelming rush of emotions this brought. I consider her a pretty typical kid and pretty average gymnast so it is nice to hear such positive things about her.

I've always found myself admiring those kids that are able to work through injuries. DD has been lucky to make it through three years of competitive gymnastics without a single injury. When I read what some kids go through fighting multiple and repeated injuries, I am just floored at THEIR determination.

Yes!!! The life lessons that she will learn from this will far supersede the gymnastics accomplishments. :)

Totally. Even though she is still in her "i'm going to do gymnastics forever" phase, I know that even if she doesn't realize it, what she is really learning from gymnastics is SO much more than flips, twists, and leaps.

My DD describes her BWO-BWO as losing herself after the first one. Doesn't know where she is and can't control her body, meaning she goes way too fast (but can't slow down) and this does not allow her brain to catch up to her body. It is like a bit of vertigo as she explains it. Other backwards stuff she does not have that problem, particularly on floor. I believe this is because she "knows where the floor is." Her brain has tons of experience walking on the floor and knowing it is the lowest point, so spatially there is not "vertigo-like" confusion. But on beam, well, we all know the beam is NOT the lowest point.

That is a really helpful way to understand what my DD is feeling. I don't want to bring it up again to ask for more detail even though I like to "know" things (about everything!!!).

She cried all the way home last night and for once, I just let her. I'm not big on crying in general but she was handling her emotions with as much grace and control as I guess I can expect a frustrated 10 year to have.

She's pretty down on herself. Started naming off all the gymnasts who are now "better" than her at the club and I just let her vent. I don't like when she compares herself to other teammates but I just gave her a pass last night.

yes, that could be a reason. scar tissue in the ear from to many ear infections. undiagnosed vertigo, etc;

DD had lots of ear infections as an infant and because she is allergic to so many antibiotics, we opted to do ear tubes when she was 1. Her pediatrician mentioned once that one had fallen out and that he could see it in there but that it was normal and would fall out eventually.

Our family used to tease DD that we could hear her ear tube rattling around in her head! LOL If she wasn't so sensitive about such things these days, I'd consider teasing her about it but I guess those thoughts will just have stay in my head!

My DD rarely cries but when she does it sometimes clears the air and she can move forward. I know it's hard to see/listen to but that may have been the best thing for her.

Good luck!

My DD rarely cries but when she does it sometimes clears the air and she can move forward. I know it's hard to see/listen to but that may have been the best thing for her.

Good luck!
Same with DD. She rarely cries. And then it seems like a week later, maybe two, the skill comes. Sometimes they just need to get their frustration out so they can get past it.

DD had a great conversation with me in the car yesterday - not sure what brought it on, except that she's "processing". She has really found the whole vestibular stuff enlightening - and says "I wish all the coaches understood this stuff because they all seem to think I'm scared of falling or getting hurt..." Described the fact that although for 2 years she did beautiful connected series in meets with tears streaming down her face and mid 9s on beam she NEVER felt like she knew where she was up there. And that now it "all makes so much sense". She too had tons of ear infections including hospitalization and mastoiditis at age 8...right before rocking old L5....don't know if that's where this came from or not, but medically it makes sense. And really, it doesn't matter but for the kids to have an explanation that doesn't imply physical or mental weakness and failure is quite useful!

I don't know if her present HC understands it all as a vestibular issue, although I would bet she'd be very open to that. What I do know is that she was open to DD slowing down, breaking all the skills up into tiny chunks that she felt good with, and staying in gym and trying to have fun and be happy regardless of what skills she competed. And that she continually reminded DD that she was/is a "very good gymnast" and that this isn't "her fault".

After 2 years of vestibular issues leading to lots of self-confidence trouble (along with a coaching plan at previous gym that was designed to have kids top out at L7/8 in most cases), DD has come a long way - in that she told me yesterday that she "really loves gymnastics" and is working back into all her L7/8 skills - but more importantly, that she is learning to accept things in herself and work through them. Hang in there with your DD - whatever happens in the next year of so, it can be a good thing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back