Parents Competition leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The gyms that I have had experience with have them custom made to the girls' measurements, so they fit really nicely :)

Find a dancewear shop. Find out who they use for custom costumes or alterations. Someone who makes dance costumes will be best suited to dealing with this kind of stuff.

It does sound like they were poorly sized :-(

I find wedgies happen if the bottom is even slightly too big. I've made leotards identical except for the hip measurement and the one that is larger constantly requires shall we say 'adjustment' and the other doesn't.
The fit at the bottom should be an easy enough fix at least.

I would not be happy having to find a seamstress to make major alterations. We got new leos this year. Before we ordered, sample leos and warm up suits with varying sizes were brought to the gym for the team to try on for size. For the price of the leo and warm up suits, I think due diligence must be made by either the manufacturer or the coach to ensure at least its wearability.

I still think you should contact AF. Could the leos be made individually and not by machine? If so, it could be a manufacturer's sizing error. Perhaps you can compare it with similar sizes of other team members? In the end, I know the onus is on us to make the leo fit right so our gymmie is comfortable. Does not seem right and is unfortunate.

Cost isn't really a factor for me- the leo was only $60. As for warm ups, well, I would take an ill fitting one right now as better than nothing. DDs HC is new this year and doesn't know where the old warm ups came from, or how to get another. DD is the only new girl and so getting her one keeps slipping through the cracks. I doubts she will have one in time for competition season. No mention of how to get her bag yet either.

Cost isn't really a factor for me- the leo was only $60. As for warm ups, well, I would take an ill fitting one right now as better than nothing. DDs HC is new this year and doesn't know where the old warm ups came from, or how to get another. DD is the only new girl and so getting her one keeps slipping through the cracks. I doubts she will have one in time for competition season. No mention of how to get her bag yet either.

If you paid $60 for the leo, it probably is not custom made. So, I guess that is ok. But the inconvenience would bug me. We paid $275 for our leo. So, I would be very careful to have it altered because once it is altered I am certain the manufacturer would be released of all liability if any. In your case, I'd take it to a good seamstress. However it is "ify" with the amount of alterations required. Text or call other mothers. You may be able to switch leos around to help each other get a better fit.

Definitely not custom. They were stock and then had crystals added. I wouldn't begin to know how to contact other parents. There isn't a roster, I have never met any of them, and the other girls DD trains with are all picked up by their nannies. All four of them! I could give a message through a nanny, but it doesn't seem worth it, honestly, as the kids in her training group are all very different built than she. This is such a weird, weird gym experience!

Reactions: COz
I would not be happy having to find a seamstress to make major alterations. We got new leos this year. Before we ordered, sample leos and warm up suits with varying sizes were brought to the gym for the team to try on for size. For the price of the leo and warm up suits, I think due diligence must be made by either the manufacturer or the coach to ensure at least its wearability.

I still think you should contact AF. Could the leos be made individually and not by machine? If so, it could be a manufacturer's sizing error. Perhaps you can compare it with similar sizes of other team members? In the end, I know the onus is on us to make the leo fit right so our gymmie is comfortable. Does not seem right and is unfortunate.

I agree. I know $60 is dirt cheap in the land of comp leos, but it's still 60 bucks and you shouldn't have to be altering it! I would contact AF too. You said it is baggy on the bottom too? Isn't that a little... indecent? I can't imagine it would be comfortable to compete in.

I also agree that girth is the most important in determining leo size. DD pretty much has exclusively GK and is growing into an AS. She's 4'9" and 70 lbs.

It's actually tight on the bottom- her butt hangs out because it's a little small. That's why I thought it was a weird cut- too loose across the shoulders and small across the butt. I will talk to HC about contacting the company, and about all the leos.

Have her wear it to practice when the coach who will be with them for competitions is coaching them. That ought to get you some satisfaction from AF pretty darn quick! :D

A strong second here for gyms' using the sizing kits. The boys' team did not this year, and it was a HUGE mistake. I think at this point everyone has swapped around enough that no one is at risk of looking like a circus clown in his pommel pants or experiencing a Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction with his singlet, but it was a wild couple of days after we got the stuff and had the guys try it on.

First, I repeat that she should have been sized properly to begin with.
What you describe though... Sounds like most gymnasts' dream fit. Most serious gymnasts tend to have broader shoulders and smaller bottoms. *My* gymmie is shall we say slightly more generously proportioned, but the vast majority are slim on the bottom and more "inverted triangle" shaped. So perhaps that's what the company is trying to fit..? I know so many gymmies who complain about trying to get clothes to fit because of their proportions, this sounds as if the company is really trying to cater to that but then the leos end up not fitting more normally proportioned athletes..?

First, I repeat that she should have been sized properly to begin with.
What you describe though... Sounds like most gymnasts' dream fit. Most serious gymnasts tend to have broader shoulders and smaller bottoms. *My* gymmie is shall we say slightly more generously proportioned, but the vast majority are slim on the bottom and more "inverted triangle" shaped. So perhaps that's what the company is trying to fit..? I know so many gymmies who complain about trying to get clothes to fit because of their proportions, this sounds as if the company is really trying to cater to that but then the leos end up not fitting more normally proportioned athletes..?

That's what I was thinking as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back