Parents new gym parent ..concerns about flexibitly

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgirl0514

Proud Parent
Hi Everyone,
Not sure if this is the right place to post but am really hoping I can get some insight. My daughter is 6 and has been going to gymnastics since she was 2! She was selected for the developmental program when she was 4 ...on two different occasions I was asked to move her. So she did ...and now is, I think on preteam moving to level 2 soon. The thing is I know she is strong g and has an extreme love for it! But she is always the least flexible just recently got her right split. She has a lack of shoulder flexibility and was the last one to get her kickover. Typically she is complimented on her push up form and lung form. I just never did gymnastics as a child and would like to see how much the lack of shoulder flexibility can hinder her down the road as bigger skills are required? I guess I don't want to continue paying all the $ and time if she won't get anywhere

Is she having fun and learning? If so, your $ won't be wasted :). This sport teaches them way more than gymnastics.

As for the flexibility, strong kids often find this as their muscles can stop them stretching.

Some kids might not ever increase flexibility. In which case it will stop them reaching elite, but won't stop them being a good gymnast. Most will improve as they work at it, some can make amazing gains, and you'd never know it wasn't natural.

You likely won't know for a while until she's on team proper and stretching more regularly. In the mean time she's keeping fit and having fun, let her enjoy it!

This is a good question!

I have had many gymnasts who are pretty inflexible but naturally super strong. I think it's pretty rare to find little kids with both good flexibility and natural strength. Usually we prefer strong over flexible if we have to choose from two kids.

BUT there is three type of inflexible kids I'd say. 1. Those with ok lower body flexibility (at least one split down) but bad shoulder flexibility 2. Those with ok shoulder flexibility but bad lower body flexibility (no splits) 3. Those who are overall just SO stiff. The usually also have knees that always seem bent.

Usually number 2s do well if they work hard on their flexibility. It's not impossible to get the splits and even if they never get them all the way down it's not causing them any serious pains, injuries etc. BUT those numbes 1s and 3s are having harder time if they are not stretched regularly as little kids both at gym and at home and if their improvements are not monitored.

Walkovers, handsprings etc are hard for those with inflexible shoulders. They may compensate the lack of shoulder flexibility bending their backs too much and that causes stress on their lower backs.

HOW inflexible is your daughter? Has she improved on her flexibility over time? If so I wouldn't be that worried. I would stretch her shoulders regularly and limit the amount of kick overs and walkovers to prevent stress fractures in the future. Usually the problems begin when the kids are about to hit puberty.

My dd is a strong but inflexible type of gymnast too. She didn't get consistent splits until she got into optionals. It's a struggle but she does okay. Still can't hit a 180 split jump though. Made for a couple of frustrating years in compulsories but what are you going to do??? She loves it too much to take her out because of splits.

There is a lot you can do to improve flexibility...this is especially important as they grow because their muscles will be stretched taut as their bones grow before muscle. My dd is flexible, but she works hard to keep it and has always struggled with tight calf muscles, so she has to stay on top of that or she has pain. They stretch in practice, which helps but isn't really enough.

She does the stretches her pt gave her a few times a week and she also does Epsom salt baths followed by massage a few times a week (I massage her with arnica oil). It really does help keep her pain free in the calf/Achilles area and I'm sure it helps her overall comfort and flexibility as well. I also do her shoulders sometimes, just to keep it loose. It it good bonding time and certainly can't hurt, so give it a try. If you want to skip the massage, just have her stretch lightly after a bath. Her muscles are warm and pliable then.

There is a lot that can be done to help flexibility. And I know some level 9 gymnasts who still are pretty inflexible, considering their level.

I would ask where you want it to get her though.. I mean it's a great activity and she will learn a lot about not only gymnastics, but tons of life skills. If the only point of spending the $ is for her to get a college sponsorship or go elite, just know those paths are rare. Very rare..

My daughter had a similar issue with shoulder flexibility. She is a complete noodle everywhere else but the shoulders, one side in particular. I took her for 3 or 4 sessions to a chiropractor specializing in active release technique ("ART"), and he gave her home stretching and taught me how to help her do it. It made a world of difference. Both shoulders are more flexible, and also now symmetrical. This was about a year ago and the improvement has been long-lasting. I bet a good PT could do this technique as well.

Hi Everyone,
Not sure if this is the right place to post but am really hoping I can get some insight. My daughter is 6 and has been going to gymnastics since she was 2! She was selected for the developmental program when she was 4 ...on two different occasions I was asked to move her. So she did ...and now is, I think on preteam moving to level 2 soon. The thing is I know she is strong g and has an extreme love for it! But she is always the least flexible just recently got her right split. She has a lack of shoulder flexibility and was the last one to get her kickover. Typically she is complimented on her push up form and lung form. I just never did gymnastics as a child and would like to see how much the lack of shoulder flexibility can hinder her down the road as bigger skills are required? I guess I don't want to continue paying all the $ and time if she won't get anywhere

what? yikes!

Gymnastics is such good core physical conditioning for any sport I wouldn't worry at this point if she going anywhere with gymnastics. It will help her for whatever sport she chooses, or just for being healthy!

My 8 year old had to work a long time to get her splits, and her shoulder flexibility is constantly worked on by the coaches. She just became the Level 4 state champion for vault (for all ages). Her other events have improved immensely over the season, and she placed high in her age group. Her coaches insist she will be a good optional gymnast because she has the power you need and they can play to her strengths, She was in preteam for several years without her splits all the way down. It was just this year that she got them down. Keep her in the gym. Flexibility can be improved, and the ones willing to work hard at it learn life lessons that not everything comes easily.

There is hope! My daughter, like yours was not a noodle, but very, very strong and super fast. She has had to work a lot on flexibility. She can do all splits and her shoulders are very flexible. But her darn low back is not. She will never do a Norah Flatley beam mount or an onodi on beam, like ever! But she has found her stride in optionals. She was not the highest scorer in compulsories, but once optionals hit and the coaches could show off her speed and strength, she has done great. Instead of a lot of flexibility moves like some of the girls do, she does more powerful moves with lots twisting and doubles. The first thing people notice about her is her speed and strength, which will be a lot like your daughter. Just as good as the noodles, but in a different way

My DD had truly dreadful natural flexibility around her 6th birthday. But she stretched herself most days for months and actually ended up being considered "naturally flexible" (HA!!). We actually made a video about it when she was 7. One day I'll find a couple of photos of her bridges to compare the "before" side. But in retrospect her improvement was substantial and quite quick. Your DD might well be the same. :)

Wow, she's only 6yo, where exactly are you expecting it to get her? Is she having fun in gymnastics, getting physical exercise and being challenged, making progress?

DD is super strong, and flexibility is a big struggle for her. She has to be really warm for a good split and getting to that point took a decent year. But, she's one of the first to have her kip, and she was the first to get a back handspring on her own. She's a solid and consistent gymnast. Yes, we anticipate a lot of work as she moves up in compulsories, but she LIVES for gym and her coaches love her. I don't expect Elite or anything close. Just like I don't expect my baseball playing son to make the MLB. Sports is about life lessons. If you aren't comfortable paying all the money because she won't get anywhere, your idea about the destination is all wrong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back