MAG Whipits on rings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
Is there a point before which it's developmentally risky to be trying this skill? One of the boys in DS's workout group is working on whipits, and my beloved child now lusts for them. It looks . . . a little scary to me, with the force on the shoulders. He can do serial inlocates, but they are nowhere near ring height yet. His coach will let him try no more than two at the end of rings occasionally if everything else has gone well. Should I tell him to stop pestering his coach to death about them until he's bigger and stronger?

Are you talking about the flips on the rings? Like a Felge? (not sure I know what a whipit is, but I know d is doing a felge and it is a flip thingie).

I would say the coach knows ;) He will know the progressions and strength needed to do it.

I've done thousands of them and my shoulders, wrists, and elbows never felt strained nearly as much as a front giant. Working the skill is fine but he won't see positive results until he can do giant inlocates that are above ring height.

Thanks, very reassuring! He tends to fixate on things sometimes and just won't let it go. Last year it was the manna. Maybe if he knows he can't do much until his inlocates are higher, he'll work on getting them up there. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back