WAG Another uptraining question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Being in contact with the coach is never an issue for me, unless it just gets crazy. So when I talk about being too involved I am referring to the parent child interaction. Which in my opinion can be very counter productive when its too much, even if the parent is not coaching etc... Kids will progress faster and have less fear issues (balking) when parental presence is less. It goes back to anxiety and what fuels it, which I have expressed my beliefs on another thread recently. For whatever that is worth. :)
Thank you! I just like to be informed, and sometimes I feel afraid to ask anything! I don't expect make the decisions, but I think it's fair to know what they are and why. DD has a lot of questions and likes to talk about gymnastics a lot, so we do, and I often look stuff up for her. But I am super cautious to never tell her what to do and to just listen to or ask the coaches. I think we're doing ok so far! :)

Try asking if you can have a proper sit down with the coach (or head coach?) so you can "get your head around things". Ask if they can explain how things work over the next few years so you can have this in mind hen budgeting, planning holidays etc. this will help you not come across as pushy/demanding. Let them enlighten you :)

I get where you are coming from. I think you just need to work out a way of having a proper conversation so you can be reassured it will all work out.

From what you've described, the coach absolutely knows that your DD can do her stuff. There may just not be a place for her in the next group as it's simply too big as you've said. They are probably doing the best that they can coping with the variety of abilities in the group.

Other people have posted about this kind of thing before, you child could possibly catch up with the others later, which is frustrating for now, but think how fantastic her basics will be :)
Perhaps half of her training group will drop out and she'll have a lovely small group to train with again, with potential for people training different skills.
Of course it would be lovely for her to be training with the higher level. Perhaps she would have been if there had been space, but there isn't. Have you posted about this before? it seems familiar. So at least she gets to be really good and do well competing with this current group.

What are you options?
Talk to a coach and find out what the plan is - if they won't talk then
(If you trust the coaches and the gym, then) close your eyes for a bit, or you'll go mad worrying about it, or
Find another gym.

Wishing you luck. Keep us posted!

Sasha, I'm having issues with the quote function so I can't quote your post but just to be clear I wasn't trying to imply you're not usually pleasant and reasonable! It's just that a few cgms ruin it for everyone else because once a coach has had a few true cgm experiences, they have a type of cgm post traumatic stress response that makes the cgm alarm bell ring in the coach's head any time a parent approaches with anything other than a perfectly pleasant demeanor...regardless of whether your concerns are reasonable as I think yours are. It probably takes hundreds of non cgm experiences to blot out the memory of a few cgm ones. ...okay I'm exaggerating a little but you get my point. You'll get more bees with honey than with vinegar.

Are open gyms possible at any other gyms nearby? I don't think this is the best solution your problem but if your daughter had a private once a month or something, the coach could show her some progressions or something she could work on her own if she had the access to gym time to do it (since it doesn't sound like it will happen during class). Based on your post though I am thinking the best idea is to speak with the coaches, tell them about your daughter's goals (do they know?), ask them about their plan for her and then lastly raise the issue about L4/L5 and ask them for their ideas before offering any of your own. By the way I would also wait to have this conversation until after she definitely has the L4 vault back so that you can legitimately say she has every L4 skill. Good luck and keep us posted

If I read correctly, your DD is only a couple of weeks out of her L3 season. I wonder if the coaches are still trying to assess where the girls are and get the L4 skills really in the works. If she doesn't start competing again for 5+ months, perhaps they have plans to do more progressions in the coming months.

I know every gym is different and our season ends in the spring. But, as soon as season ends, the entire team starts working on the next level. About a month later, the groups are rearranged as the coaches decide where they anticipate the girls competing the next season. At this point, the higher skilled girls in each new group would start doing more progressions beyond the expected level while those who are "just" on the new level would be working those skills almost exclusively.

So, what I am getting at is that only a couple of weeks post season our summer training groups haven't been finalized and there isn't that much "up training" going on beyond working skills for the next level.

Yes, every gym is different. At our gym they also don't do much uptraining during the season, but start uptraining right after states. But it's not limited to just one level up. As soon as you master a skill, you move up to the next one. For example, level 4 beam, a girl gets her cartwheel (can do 10 in a row on a high beam), she moves on to BWO. She gets her BWO, she starts training BHS. Etc.. At the end of August they assess the skills, and move the girls to the appropriate levels. Of course if it's level 4+, they can't just move her up to the next level. She stays with L4, for example, competes 1-2 meets, and then is allowed to move up to 5.

Your gym obviously handles this differently, and I understand your frustration. I agree that you should talk to the coaches and express your concerns. And if after the talk you are still not satisfied, you can take her for evaluation to another gym and see where they place her. I remember last summer you were unhappy about your DD been placed into L3, when she had all L4 skills. This year you are concerned that she isn't training with L5. Next year you'll be worrying that she should be training for optionals. Sounds like you are unsatisfied with the gym in general, so maybe it's time to explore other options?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back