WAG Double blocking on level 4 front handspring vault?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kcanflip

Proud Parent
Does anyone know the penalty/deduction for double blocking (hands touching vault table twice) on the level 4 front handspring vault?

And also, thoughts on why this happens?

The deduction for the hop itself is only .1. However, the gymnast will incur a multitude of other deductions as a result such as too long in support, which is up to .5, angle of repulsion, which is up to 1.0. She'll also likely receive deductions for lack of height and/or distance which are up to .5 and .3 respectively. For vault it's hard to say what the deduction is for one thing because that one mistake is likely the result of other things that would receive deductions & causes other deductions. It's all connected :) There's many reasons why this could be happen. She could have a fear of hitting her back on the opposite end of the table and is double blocking to try and avoid that. She could be coming into the table too high & is coming straight down into the handstand instead of coming in at an angle. Or she could be coming in too low. It's hard to say for sure without seeing the vault.

Does anyone know the penalty/deduction for double blocking (hands touching vault table twice) on the level 4 front handspring vault?

And also, thoughts on why this happens?

who cares? eventually she won't do it when she gets strong enough. it's a part of the vaulting process. :)

The deduction for the hop itself is only .1. However, the gymnast will incur a multitude of other deductions as a result such as too long in support, which is up to .5, angle of repulsion, which is up to 1.0. She'll also likely receive deductions for lack of height and/or distance which are up to .5 and .3 respectively. For vault it's hard to say what the deduction is for one thing because that one mistake is likely the result of other things that would receive deductions & causes other deductions. It's all connected :) There's many reasons why this could be happen. She could have a fear of hitting her back on the opposite end of the table and is double blocking to try and avoid that. She could be coming into the table too high & is coming straight down into the handstand instead of coming in at an angle. Or she could be coming in too low. It's hard to say for sure without seeing the vault.

well...the gymnast might as well quit!

who cares? eventually she won't do it when she gets strong enough. it's a part of the vaulting process. :)

Welllll.....I care or I wouldn't have presented the question. But thank you for the insight. I get that it will eventually not happen but this is my 11 1/2 year old not natural, form challenged, quickly growing, fairly fearful gymnast who is at the dreaded pre-teen age where many gymnasts quit and who very well may not ever make it to the next level or optionals so time could be an issue. So this season that she is about to start in February could be HER last hoorah and I am worried as I want her to have a good season. And she's been training level 4 for 9 months now and is hit or miss on this vault. For my own sanity, just wanted to be mentally prepared for what kind of scores she may get if she double blocks in an actual competition. So thank you to Flippinam for sharing! But will trust that the coaches in the next few weeks will help her figure it out. Regardless, proud of my gymmie and all she has accomplished.

let her know it's perfectly normal. MOST gymnasts don't come in to their own on vaulting until the age of 14. they have to understand that you never give up. even at the Elite level, some of the kids just don't have vaults commensurate to their other events. it's normal and patience is required. eventually, they all vault. :)

Thanks Dunno! I think I stress about it way more than she does. Working on that.....but will continue to encourage her. I hope she sticks with it till 14 or longer and becomes a great vaulter one day. Until then I will enjoy bars which is her best event. And try to control my nervous twitching for the rest. Ha ha.

My dd did this for a whole season. The next season she did not. If she hangs in there with it it during training it does improve. It took her a good year plus to feel even kind of comfortable vaulting... And it's still not 9.0 material three seasons later even on a good day.

MOST gymnasts don't come in to their own on vaulting until the age of 14.
Woohoo!..I just spent a week reading everything here ever posted on vaulting - looking for this magic age-mentally preparing myself that my 11 yr old DD will never be a vaulter. And looky here...with this one post you have saved me many sleepless nights, at least until she turns 14 anyway. Thanks!

My DD double bounced A LOT when she was learning that vault! She eventually got it. Still not a wonderful vaulter but now that she is learning the tsuk her handstand vault seems to be improving greatly!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back