Parents Looking for gym with strong MAG and WAG in a great place to live :-)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FYMB

Proud Parent
There is the possibility that our family will be moving to the US early next year. We have a lot of flexibility as to where we land. Two of my children are competitive gymnasts. I have a 15 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. I would appreciate some recommendations for gyms with strong MAG and WAG programs in cities with high quality of life. We don't mind big cities, but would prefer a smaller city if possible. The US is a big place, I'd be so grateful for any suggestions that would start narrowing it down for me. BTW, we homeschool, so we don't need to worry about schools.

Can you give us anything else to go on? I can see gym being an issue in a move, but not the determining issue. It's likely that finding a program for your son will be the limiting factor. If you take a look through results from JO/JE nationals last year (http://2014jomen.com/results.html), you'll see that a small number of programs are producing guys at this level. If you have other things that would drive you to a particular region in the country, people here can make recommendations as well that wouldn't necessarily jump out at you by eyeballing current national results. For example, I like our boys' program a lot and think we will be well represented at JO nationals in a few years, but we're currently in a rebuilding phase. I can think of three or four gyms within a 200 mile radius of us where my son would likely do just fine, and all of them have solid to excellent girls' programs as well.

What is your son's skill level and what are his aspirations?

"Early next year", as in January through March?
Where are you coming from?
I agree that climate would be an issue.

I know you are not in the UK. Your posts are a little odd to say the least.
Sorry that my posts seem a little odd to you. I did think that it probably would seem strange to post both one after the other as first posts.... but I had been meaning to get an account and post the questions for sometime and thought I should just put both up at the same time as life has an unfortunate habit of distracting me. And you're right, we are not currently in the UK. We are currently in NZ but are not from NZ. And as odd as my posts may seem, they are what they are. Both are genuine questions (one looking for a gym with strong MAG and WAG programs in the US and the other looking for a MAG program in Panama City, Panama for a friend's son). I am happy to change my location -I originally had NZ and then changed it :)

I agree with need information on what kind of climate you prefer. We have just about everything under the sun in the US from dry and hot to mild and rainy.

Can you give us anything else to go on? I can see gym being an issue in a move, but not the determining issue. It's likely that finding a program for your son will be the limiting factor. If you take a look through results from JO/JE nationals last year (http://2014jomen.com/results.html), you'll see that a small number of programs are producing guys at this level. If you have other things that would drive you to a particular region in the country, people here can make recommendations as well that wouldn't necessarily jump out at you by eyeballing current national results. For example, I like our boys' program a lot and think we will be well represented at JO nationals in a few years, but we're currently in a rebuilding phase. I can think of three or four gyms within a 200 mile radius of us where my son would likely do just fine, and all of them have solid to excellent girls' programs as well.

What is your son's skill level and what are his aspirations?
Thank you for replying to my post and for the link. I hadn't thought to look at the Nationals results.

We have moved around a lot and spent several extended periods in the US in New Mexico, Utah, Ohio and Florida. We have also done road trips. As a family we enjoy the US and have found things to like about all the places we have stayed in. We have also lived in a variety of climates and as with most things -they all have their pros and cons. We probably don't want to go too far North for the extreme winters but if there was a gym that offered excellent WAG and MAG programs - it being northwards wouldn't stop us.

I have heard good things about Ann Arbor. We really like the the northeast but being on the west coast would put us close to family (distance and time-zone wise) we have in NZ.

My husband just needs an internet connection to work and as we don't need to consider schools we can really go anywhere .... which makes the choosing harder.

I guess one consideration might be homeschooling regulations but I wouldn't expect the Chalkbucket community to advise me on that...that's a question for a local homeschooling board :)

My son would love to do collegiate gymnastics in the US. He has had that as a goal since he was 7 years old. He is a serious and motivate gymnast and competes well and has good grades (he is currently enrolled in an online virtual school).

We have lived in big cities but would like to try a medium to small city with a high quality of life and a club which strives for excellence but has a positive culture.

We don't have a definite date but are looking at arriving in the US towards the end of February or the first week of March.

Sorry not to be more specific. I hope the extra details help. And thanks to all those who have replied -even just to ask for more details :)

Sorry that my posts seem a little odd to you. I did think that it probably would seem strange to post both one after the other as first posts.... but I had been meaning to get an account and post the questions for sometime and thought I should just put both up at the same time as life has an unfortunate habit of distracting me. And you're right, we are not currently in the UK. We are currently in NZ but are not from NZ. And as odd as my posts may seem, they are what they are. Both are genuine questions (one looking for a gym with strong MAG and WAG programs in the US and the other looking for a MAG program in Panama City, Panama for a friend's son). I am happy to change my location -I originally had NZ and then changed it :)

Much better when you post the correct country. Very confusing for people to help you when the country was wrong.

I guess when life has you travelling all over the place it is easy to get confused. I get a bit like that myself.

Reactions: sce
Nothing to do with any gym, but I just visited Denver, Colorado. I loved it. Great family city, it has culture, activities both indoor and outdoor, great sports, college teams an international airport close to the city center. Skiing within a short hop and some amazing road trip possibilities. I think if I had to relocate to the USA it would be way up on my list. Surprisingly it is not that cold either.

Absolutely no idea about gymnastics there, but maybe someone else will.

We are new to gymnastics so I can't give much guidance there (other than to say that we like our gym very much). We moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico two years ago, and we like it. There are four seasons, but they're mild, and the cost of living is relatively low (and that's something to keep in mind...the cost of living can vary enormously in different parts of the United States). We don't have tornados or hurricanes, and large earthquakes are very unlikely. It's an easy, comfortable place to live. The scenery is beautiful, too.

I envy you...to be able to go anywhere is pretty awesome!

Well we are generally cool and wet, but the Seattle area I think it pretty close to an ideal place to live. My DD goes to a gym south of Seattle which has a very strong MAG program. PM me if you would like details.

Good luck on an exciting deicision!

Roswell, GA in north Metro Atlanta has good men's and women's teams and they are slightly subsidized for city residents, plus they host meets so the cost is not bad. Georgia is very homeschool friendly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back