WAG Bars critique....my turn

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow...these critiques scare me since my DD is currently unscored on her l4 routines. Looked like a pretty nice routine to me! I have a hard time seeing a full point or more worth of deductions but I'm just a parent. Definitely seems like she is confident and comfortable and capably performing.

I'm thinking low 9s! I'm assuming from your post it was lower; but I'm pretty sure that would have been low 9s in our area. I guess that there was a pause after the squat on maybe and then the casts might not have been counted as horizontal since it is from the lowest body part (or so I read on here); but overall it is a great routine!

I would guess mid to high 8 based on what I saw last year, if she can get the casts to horizontal you will see the score go up quite a bit!

Are you wanting to know where her errors are? I am not going to put the actual deductions because that varies from judge to judge, but here are her major errors.
Chest and hips pops out on glide, then lack of extension of glide, bent arm kip, low cast, bent arm squat on, jumps and arches during grab, lack of extension in swing prior to kip, bent arm kip, low cast with a leg split, piked counter swings, legs split on dismount. All easily fixable, except the arms in the kip and cast height (those take more time). If she just squeezes her butt in her counters it will change her shape. Hope that helps.

I think she gets lots off from the shape of the swings, and the not hollowing properly....
we are in a tougher scoring state.

Glide kip:
- failure to lead with feet (long swing) .1
- lack of extension .2

Cast:
-height probably.1

Jump to bar:
-lack of extension .1

Cast:
-height .1
-shape .1

Back hip:
-form .1
Rhythm .1

Swings: I would expect .3 each because of the shape and there is a possibility they can say she is open over the bar...however it's mostly the arched lower back and closed hips

Dismount is all right, .05 slight foot separation.

Range I'd expect 8.3-8.6.

The complaint we were seeing all season was the shape of the tap swings, they were curving at the butt, not the upper back......booty swings? All of our girls had this problem....don't get me started on the kip arm bend coachp ;)

Thanks for the critique!!! As a parent, I have no clue where the actual deductions are taken from this otherwise flawless routine from my child....LOL

She did great and she was given a very generous 9.25, although we have always wondered what it takes to get over 9.50s. This is something that does not happen for our girls very often......they are ALL first years though.
One girl from another team got a 9.8 and I swear was almost doing Giants!

Last edited:
Glide kip:
- failure to lead with feet (long swing) .1
- lack of extension .2

Cast:
-height probably.1

Jump to bar:
-lack of extension .1

Cast:
-height .1
-shape .1

Back hip:
-form .1
Rhythm .1

Swings: I would expect .3 each because of the shape and there is a possibility they can say she is open over the bar...however it's mostly the arched lower back and closed hips

Dismount is all right, .05 slight foot separation.

Range I'd expect 8.3-8.6.

We think alike!

The routine has lot of potential, I would just expect the lack of extension and the swings to really lower her score.

The things I noticed most, apart from the tap swings, were the lack of extension before her kips and height in her casts, as others have stated.

Otherwise nice routine!

Thanks!! On her behalf!
The glide extension, I see what you all are saying.....I have seen many High level gymnasts with not very extended glides.....anyone care to comment?
One thing I know, when she extends the glide, she has a lot of power and messes up the cast. I think next year she should become a better bar worker, but all in all, I think she looks very pretty and has nice lines.
Thanks for the comments though. It makes me understand her deductions much better.

Sometime in the future that extra power will be of great use to her. Just keep working the swing and she'll eventually be able to control it. :)

Looks beautiful! I give it a high 8, maybe a low 9 if the judge was nice. Slight leg separation throughout highbar, and some form issues, but it's coming along beautifully. Keep working hard!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back