WAG Growing and pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sportsmommy

Proud Parent
My dd has recently had what i consider a pretty big growth spurt. She probably grew about 3 inches since may. She went up two leo sizes. The problem is the last two months she has just complained about something hurting after every practice. Mostly it is either heel, ankle or knee. Its always different. She isnt having injuries or anything. Its not bad enough to cause any limping or swelling. I dont know if its worth a trip to the doctor or not. Not that this is my biggest concern but it is affecting her gymnastics. She is a powerful tumbler. She has never been one to complain like this. She is the girl who gets reminded if she does get hurt to tell someone. I kind of thought it might be related to her growth or age. She is 12. Any body have a situation like this?

My 12 yo ds has gone through similar things. His heels initially, now his knees. SOmetimes his ankles. I do think as they grow, problems can arise. We had his knees looked at and dx as patellar tendonitis. At this age, esp in girls, you do have to think about severs (heels), osgood-schlatters (knees). but it could also just be that her joints are adjusting to her growth.

Totally relate. My 11 year old complains of pain a lot. This started about the same time she turned 11. She has grown 2 inches since June. Her episodes have meant anything from an ache that amounted to nothing to a pretty severe case of severs.

What I have gotten in the habit of doing is, the moment she complains of pain, I have her rate the pain on the pain scale. 0 - 10.
O = no pain
1-5 = pain but can still participate in gym
6-10= painful enough not to particulate

When the pain hits 4 or 5 for several days in a row, I call our orthopedist. After the severs, I take no ache or pain lightly. And, my personal philosophy is, no Advil before practice to dull the pain. I have a feeling the pain relief of Advil is what allowed the severs to go undiagnosed for so long.

the Physio had Pink rate her pain in her knees from 1-5, then she said, "more than 2, you can't do" so if the pain was more than a 2 (4 on your scale) practice had to be missed or modified)

We do the out of 10 thing too. D's PT told him that anything greater than a 4, and he was to stop and rest/ice. That has helped a lot.

Could be pain at the growth plates, all 3 areas are vulnerable in athletes as they hit the puberty growth spurt. Keep an eye on it and if it continues it would be good to see a sports doctor.

Could be pain at the growth plates, all 3 areas are vulnerable in athletes as they hit the puberty growth spurt. Keep an eye on it and if it continues it would be good to see a sports doctor.

This^^^ could be possible. Get it checked out. Mine c/o joint pain recently, very uncharacteristic as well, ended up being inflamed growth plates.:(

Yes...knees and ankles starting around age 9 and continues now at age 14. It comes and goes but was much worse during the really big growing years. She has exercises that her PT prescribed that she does faithfully when something starts to flare up. Ice after practice during a flare up helps too. It's always best to get checked by a doctor to make sure there's nothing acute going on. Hope it settles down for her.

My DD is going through this in her knees especially. Was just told to ice them every night with a knee sleeve during practice, but now since she sprained her ankle, that took over any other pain in her legs. And thank the good Lord she got like 6-7 new leos for christmas as she was just getting too big too fast for my bank account lol.

My DD is going through this in her knees especially. Was just told to ice them every night with a knee sleeve during practice, but now since she sprained her ankle, that took over any other pain in her legs. And thank the good Lord she got like 6-7 new leos for christmas as she was just getting too big too fast for my bank account lol.
Has she been checked out by a doctor? With the big growth spurt it could be Osgood Schlatter's.

My DD is 10.5 and having similar trouble. Some days it's her shoulders, sometimes it's her lower back, other days her hip, ankle, calf, knee, foot, big toe, etc. It usually lasts less than one week each.

We've been very lucky so far that, while her rate of growth has certainly been increasing some, she's always been a pretty steady grower.

She also went through a moderate achilles tendinitis this fall and ended up in PT. We've kept in touch with her therapist. While every provider is likely different, the therapists' rule for my DD is if pain reaches a 3-4, she has to stop. If it hurts upon waking the next day, she's to be restricted until the pain is gone, then add back again (thankfully this has only happened once during her recovery).

Good luck to your DD- I hope the pain is short-lived! If it's worrisome, is there a trainer you could check in with for peace of mind?

I am going to make my dd an appointed with a doctor. Just not sure where yet. We live in a rural area. There isnt a lot of options. Thanks for all your advice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back