Rio 2016 - stars of the future

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ponyshine

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
So, who do you think might be selected for the GB team to compete at Rio 2016? Which gymnasts do you think will last that long? Will some of the older, more experienced gymnasts get selected or will up and coming gymnasts take their place? Is Rebecca Tunney still in contention? Will Becky Downie make a come back after not making it to London 2012? What do you think?

Thought I'd start a discussion going on this topic! :) Interested to hear your thoughts! :)

Personally I think it'll be whoever isn't injured. There have been a lot of injuries over the last year, including the juniors.

I'd like to see gabby, ruby and Claudia from the current seniors.

Catherine Lyons and Georgia Mae Fenton from juniors.

Then you've also got Ellie and Becky, teal, tyesha, Amy tinkler, Rhiannon Jones, Georgina hockenhull all in with a shot.

But you can't discount a well paced junior suddenly appearing either.

Have you seen this post from full twist
http://fulltwist.net/look-gbr-wag-national-squads/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed: FullTwist (Full Twist)&utm_content=FaceBook
Hannah whelan is not in GB squad and it is thought she has retired! It would be a shame if she has so close to Rio but I respect her decision if she has
These are the girls in the Rio squad
  • Ellie Downie
  • Becky Downie
  • Claudia Fragapane
  • Kelly Simm
  • Ruby Harrold
  • Tyesha Mattis
  • Gabby Jupp
  • Catherine Lyons
  • Amy Tinkler
  • Rebecca Tunney

Interesting article, thanks! I would be sad if Hannah Whelan retired as well!

I heard from a friend that Hannah has indeed retired but I haven't seen an official announcement anywhere. She has posted videos of upgrades on Instagram since worlds though.

Is there no Teal Grindle on the Rio squad? She's been consistently top of the pack in her age group.

That cannot be the Rio squad. Rio is 18 months away. No gym federation would ever make a team that far out. I am sure it is a list of possibles.

It is a list of possibles and they have made it clear it can change.

Why have a separate Rio squad then? Why not have all the national team as possibles, which they are (minus one or two exceptions ;) ) Are the 10 on the Rio squad going to be trained differently? Given less/more assignments? DO they chuck one out before they invite another in?

Also seems bizarre to name the squad shortly before the british champs. Surely it would be better to have waited a few weeks until after? According to the quote from liverpool they also have charlie fellows and jade stedford on track for Rio, who aren't even named to the national squad...

Liverpool have just said Charlie fellows is off to Rio squad this weekend (on fb).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back