WAG Bell?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

poodlemomma

Proud Parent
Maybe I never paid attention before and this has happened at other meets. But I don't remember it at all. This past meet at a level 4 competition. There was a bell ringer at the coaches table for beam with a timer. Now, I knew the beam could be timed. I personally have no clue how much time they have, but yeah I knew it was timed. But I had never seen them do it before so obviously and to ring a bell? I found the bell distracting some of the girls so I am thinking it wasn't/isn't that common?

They do it at all meets I have been to. First, single, ding is 10 second warning, then two dings (ding ding) is time limit. .1 deduction if you aren't done.

Yup, we always have one or someone says "time" It isn't that distracting to the gymnast, they should be "in the zone"

We have always heard the bell at every meet we've attended. But at a recent meet the lady ringing the bell had a bad habit of randomly ringing it outside of beam routines. It may have been accidental or she was fidgeting?? Either way, it was def distracting at that point.

A bell would be nice :) our meets always have someone gruffly yelling Warning! and then Time! :( It always shakes our girls up

There's been a bell at all the meets we've gone to. My daughter runs out of time and asks why noone warned her, so she is focused and doesn't hear it. I'd rather her get the .1 deduction than rush and not have a nice routine with a lot more deductions or worse a fall.

A bell would be nice :) our meets always have someone gruffly yelling Warning! and then Time! :( It always shakes our girls up
At our home meets we always have a girl on our team doing-14 and older. That way, they are a gymnast and know its distracting if they are too loud, but they need to be loud enough the gymnast can hear-and not in the middle of a skill. We never have an adult, always a girl on our team. (YMCA and girls only)

Bells have been at every meet I have been to as well.

One day me and DD were out enjoying some time together, and she wanted to "ding" a bell on a stores counter. I asked her why, and didnt she hear it enough at meets? I also said, "every time you hear a ding like that, while not in gym, you try to figure out what you have left to do on beam and then remember that your not at gym" lol...she laughed her little heart out at that and just timidly said, "yea, i guess your right" lol.

Yes! Our girls have almost always had bells and at the last meet had a timer yell "WARNING!" really loudly. It definitely shook my girl for a minute...

All they did for my former gym is ring a bell: once for warning, twice for overtime (I believe)

Yep, there is a beam bell dinger ;) It's not a distraction for DD. What's confusing is if there are L2s doing floor (at a meet) at the same time as she is doing her beam routine. There are odd "dings" all over that music!
Anyway, DDs coach says not to worry about going over time. She'd rather them take the tenth than get deductions for the skills.

Yep, a bell is common/expected & I've heard it quite a few times ;) In compulsories I went overtime on EVERY routine I ever competed. Just hearing a bell like that anywhere makes me anxious :) As does the Star Spangled Banner... Gotta love meet nerves!

We too do not seem to have the bell at all the meets. Some of them have it and others do not. So far I think it's maybe 50-50? I'm sure they're always timing, but there is just no warning at all about half of the time.

It depends on each level. Same with warmup times per person. The lower levels seem to have a shorter time, but I'm not sure about if it's completely true.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back