WAG Press to handstand problem, feet too wide

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

emorymom

Proud Parent
There's a great video explaining that some kids can't press because they're putting their feet too wide.

Watched it this week, and can't find it now. Anyone know where it is?

Sorry, I don't have the video.

But usually, the wider the feet straddle, the easier the press and the weaker the person is!

When you are in a straddle L and begin the press, the closer the feet come to the arms, the harder it is, because that means you need to get your hips up higher, which is the hard part.

Here is a comparison:

In this video, the girls legs remain apart during the press:

Here, Maile is doing a great job bringing the feet close to her arms:

Not the best examples, but I hop you get it and it helped a little, although I don't have that video!

I'm taking about a standing press to handstand. And the video shows that if you have to start the press from a wider standing straddle, it's easier to slide the feet in first so that when the feet leave the floor, the hips are as high as possible. Can't find the video ...

Sorry, I don't have the video.

But usually, the wider the feet straddle, the easier the press and the weaker the person is!

When you are in a straddle L and begin the press, the closer the feet come to the arms, the harder it is, because that means you need to get your hips up higher, which is the hard part.

Here is a comparison:

In this video, the girls legs remain apart during the press:

Here, Maile is doing a great job bringing the feet close to her arms:

Not the best examples, but I hop you get it and it helped a little, although I don't have that video!

Now that is interesting about the second video. Here it is a deduction for touching your legs on your arms. Hence here it is called a 'clear' straddle support , press to handstand. Much harder than resting on your arms for a second each time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back