MAG Vault critique

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
ectomorph-vs-mesomorph-vs-endomorph-3530.jpg

whoever i watched above is long legged and long armed and no torso. doesn't look like he has any fat. and he does have muscle. he's an ectomorph. also called "Olive Oil" body type.

and he's probably good on the swing events...p-bars and pommel horse. has good swing on rings but no strength moves. and has to work extra hard on vault and tumbling. :)
Yes, he's always been good on the swing events, Pbars is his best event, but also good on strength moves. First time he tried the muscle up he did it like it was second nature, years before it was required of him to have the move. Vault and tumbling have always been difficult for him too though. I still wonder if you are seeing an illusion on the video. He wears adult sized tops and kid size pants, as his torso is quite long in comparison to his inseam. He's also not tall for his age (not surprising for a gymnast right?!?) spent years at the 5th percentile and is now 22nd for height. With that big growth spurt he packed on the muscle and his weight went from the 5th to the 35th percentile. No fat on him at all though.

Here's his rings from the same meet

and Pbars

p=bars was a better view. close...meso-endo
Maybe my boy has finally grown legs!!! I'm joking but seriously he was tiny for so long. You also give me hope about him developing on vault. I have seen major improvement even recently.

this explains a bunch - my older boy is classic mesomorph, but the younger one all arms and legs and per his sister who watched this weekend, probably lost a point or more on his vault due to his run (I tend to agree with her - but being as they only hit a table for the first time this summer, I figured if the L6 team got over vault on their own they were set). And the younger one always places highest on Pbars and pommel....while big brother is a great vaulter, floor, and actually now doing well with Hbar and rings as his hyperextended elbows have evened out with puberty muscles!

Reactions: sce
The boy in question is a total mesomorph. Seriously. He has more muscle than I have ever seen on a kid his age. He is lean, but not skinny, with a freaking 12 pack, arms like a beast, and wide shoulders.

I think my child is a combo. He has skinny legs and butt, but he has abnormally strong muscles in his upper body thanks to genetics form both mom and dad. My son struggles with vault and some tumbling (vestibular?), but when he is not balking, his tumbling is amazing.

Here are his ring routine, and his vault.
Vault earned him an 8.8

Rings an 11.2

They do score the run, the hand and arm position on the run, the angle when the kid hits the springboard, straight arms with block on the table, angle when blocking, post block angle, and sticking the landing. They want maximum run when hitting the springboard, even if the kid starts slow, the run has to speed up by the time they hit the board. And arms should swing up to make the block at the punch to the table. I have studied this with my kid because vault is frustrating him (as is high bar) and he demands I find out the info. He is still young, so I help him look this stuff up when he requests it, which he is starting to finally do (understand how to look it up) on his own.

So take this with a grain of salt, since I am not a coach, but I think I have a pretty good eye in gymnastics. First, his run is consistent, but he needs to speed up as he goes. Then his angle when he hits the springboard is almost leaned forward which is opposite of what they want. He needs to leap for that board and be angled opposite of what you think (away from the table), so the heals drive him up. He is also piked as he reaches for the table. He needs to keep his body as straight as possible, including arms on the table. He should use his shoulders to block (like a shrug push). His body is pretty straight over the table, which is good, but his elbows are bent, which means he is using his arms, and not his shoulders to push off the table.

Again, not a coach, and I don't mind critique, especially if I am wrong!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back