WAG Spot deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay sorry one more question, in level 5 on beam, during the back walkover is there a deduction for the coach to have there hand by the gymnasts back, but never actually touching them?

Okay sorry one more question, in level 5 on beam, during the back walkover is there a deduction for the coach to have there hand by the gymnasts back, but never actually touching them?
If the judge even THINKS there was contact, then they take the deduction. But as long as the judge sees there was NO contact, all is good :)

If the judge even THINKS there was contact, then they take the deduction. But as long as the judge sees there was NO contact, all is good :)

Not really, they can and do give the benefit of doubt if they think a touch is an accidental brush rather than assisting the gymnast. But if there was contact in the situation described that doesn't seem very accidental to me. Accidental contact would come more into play on fast moving skills.

Not really, they can and do give the benefit of doubt if they think a touch is an accidental brush rather than assisting the gymnast. But if there was contact in the situation described that doesn't seem very accidental to me. Accidental contact would come more into play on fast moving skills.
We had a gymnast... the coach accidentally brushed her back and pulled the hand away and the girl did her BWO - still got deducted for the spot (it was a "mean" beam judge)... Same judge took the spot deduction for another girl that the coach doesn't think she actually touched... and if she did, it was a graze.

We had a gymnast... the coach accidentally brushed her back and pulled the hand away and the girl did her BWO - still got deducted for the spot (it was a "mean" beam judge)... Same judge took the spot deduction for another girl that the coach doesn't think she actually touched... and if she did, it was a graze.

That doesn't sound mean. If the coach is standing in for every kids back walkover as if she is going to spot her then there is a possibility she will touch her. That is no accident. If she is there to support and she brushes her back ...well then she supported her.

Is it possible for the girls to do another move instead that they don't need support for to avoid this problem?

In FIG we stand in between the bars especially for the little ones. In case they peel off on swings or dismount. Judges sometimes insist that we do. As you are a long way below the gymnast there is no possibility of touching them unless they fall.

That doesn't sound mean. If the coach is standing in for every kids back walkover as if she is going to spot her then there is a possibility she will touch her. That is no accident. If she is there to support and she brushes her back ...well then she supported her.

Is it possible for the girls to do another move instead that they don't need support for to avoid this problem?

In FIG we stand in between the bars especially for the little ones. In case they peel off on swings or dismount. Judges sometimes insist that we do. As you are a long way below the gymnast there is no possibility of touching them unless they fall.
The coach didn't stand there for EVERY girl... the first girl was having MAJOR fear issues after splitting the beam 3 practices before on her BWO. And the other one (that she may or may not have grazed) is a beautiful gymnast, but is not confident even though she is SOLID in her abilities... she repeated Old L4 because she didn't score high enough (even though she had all the skills for Old L5 and she met the coach's requirements) then she did Old Level 5 and repeated with New L4 (again, she had what she needed for New 5, but she thought there was more to learn by repeating). This year, she did Jr. High gymnastics (Xcel Platinum Rules with high school bonus... all but Vault started out of a 9.7 unless you got the bonus). She wanted to compete L5 for us to continue working through the levels. Since she already had Optional routines ready (as do 2 other L5s), HC said that once they scored 31.0 in 2 meets, they could compete L6. She has CHOSEN not to move up mid-season even though she could dominate L6. She says she will compete L6 next year... after Jr. High gym again... although I am hoping she actually gets the courage to compete L7 if she has the skills.

I might be getting confused by all your SHOUTY capitals lol but to me as a coach it sounds like those girls were not ready for that meet to compete that skill . WE would have taken the skill out and put something ELSE in. But maybe you are not allowed to do that. Which is a shame as it would avoid the problem until the girls are confident enough to compete the skill.

WE are not allowed to stand in for beam skills apart from the dismount. And if you touch, brush, graze , support etc whatever it is a deduction. Very straightforward, kids and coaches know it.

We have L3 that can do BEAUTIFUL beam dismounts... IF the coach stands on the other side with her arms out like a T ... and she can be clear back at the edge of the mat... it is just KNOWING she is there, just in case.

One of my friends is like that. The coach doesn't touch her AT ALL and she does the dismount beautifully, but she refuses to do it by herself.

What are the deductions for being spotted for back walkover in level 5 beam? Would it be better to leave it out or get spot?

Leaving it out is double the value of the element. A spot is 0.50, plus up to the value of the element, and I believe execution deductions on top of that.

I think the back walkover is worth 0.60.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back