Parents First head scratcher of the year

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

blueredzone

Proud Parent
Well we just got back after a pretty good meet. My DD placed in 3 events and in the All-Around. Woulda placed on bars but a minor mishap cost her. Over all a good meet.

I was wondering though how a certain gym was getting some scores. Some girls ran over there allotted time and even some had forgotten parts of the routine. Also many stumbles. Scores were in the solid 8.5 and above to 9.0

Now it really didn't effect the meet in all because this was just one event. It just so happens that it's the gym that came from out of state. Odd scoring and I know we will never understand the system. But this left many perplexed. Not just from our group either.

It was like the judge took that gyms floor exercise off. A nice 20 minute break. Lol

I've been to a meet where two floor judges missed a WHOLE tumbling pass of a gymnast....we are talking a pass with a front hand spring and two connected Salto's. Let me ask you something, if those two judges were really doing their job how do they both miss it? I'm guessing they had a little too much bias in their tea that night, but I could be wrong. I try not to be cynical.

You don't sound too stressed about it. But when it comes to scores my new rule is... Grain-of-salt. Scores can range so much from meet to meet that I really don't even write them down and keep record anymore....they are kind of meaningless.

Most of the time when parents think the scoring is off, they just don't really understand gymnastics scoring.

Sometimes qualities that a parent doesn't see is enough to keep a score higher than other routines even with stumbles and mistakes.

I've seen a girl fall off twice in a compulsory beam routine and still score higher than a kid who had no major errors. And that was absolutely right on because her 1.00 in falls was still less than the 2.00 in deductions others had for just being sloppy, poor flexibility, etc.

Majority of the time the judges get it right.

I've only had 1 head scratcher. Girl stopped in the middle of her beam routine and forgot where she was. She ended up repeating 2 elements and scored 9.35.

What is the deduction for repeating elements?

I've been to a meet where two floor judges missed a WHOLE tumbling pass of a gymnast....we are talking a pass with a front hand spring and two connected Salto's. Let me ask you something, if those two judges were really doing their job how do they both miss it? I'm guessing they had a little too much bias in their tea that night, but I could be wrong. I try not to be cynical.

You don't sound too stressed about it. But when it comes to scores my new rule is... Grain-of-salt. Scores can range so much from meet to meet that I really don't even write them down and keep record anymore....they are kind of meaningless.
Yeah not stressing out at all. Just really confusing about it. Maybe the judges had a few to many red bull and vodkas at the hotel lounge the night before. Lol

I hate to say but I think judges can be biased to teams. The meet we were at the scores on most events for my dd seemed high ( she got high 8s al out 9s , my dd usually gets low to mid 8 s ) then vault where the girls that get high scores normally got lower than normal and my dd got the highest at 8.2 ( usually scores about 8.5 around so low for her normal but it was the highest score and the 8 that one of our girls got she normally scores 9)

What I'm saying is I think each meet is different

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back