Parents Gift idea for gymnast friend leaving the sport?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
At my dd's gym they have a "sister" program where they pair off an older and younger gymnast for a season. The older gymnast has a chance to be a mentor and to be a role model for the younger one. And the younger one has someone to look up to and learn from. They exchange gifts before the first meet of the season and on birthdays, etc. And they just see each other at the gym and say hi and encourage each other. Well, we just found out that my dd's "sister" (level 5, 12 years old) is quitting gymnastics at the end of the month. Her mom said she was just not having fun anymore and was very stressed and wanted to spend more time with her friends and family. Anyway, the point is she is leaving the gym. My dd is going to make her a card saying that she'll miss her and good luck. But we were also thinking of getting her a small going away gift. I'm just stumped on what to get her. Probably nothing really gymnastics related. But just a random thing like a gift card something doesn't really seem to match the occasion. Any ideas??

My dds best friends left gym last May after a bad back injury. My dd collected as many photos as she could of this teammate with other gym friends, coaches, on travel meets, etc and made a photo book. She was able to do it online and have it printed in about two days. It made a super nice gift.

We also made a book for my DD when she quit. It was a little time consuming, mainly because there were so many pictures to gather after 12 years in the sport. If you have a Walgreens nearby, they can usually print the book on site and you can pick it up in a couple hours.

If you don't have pics or aren't interested in investing that much time, then I think a gift card is a nice gesture. Maybe some of the girl's friends at the gym would have an idea of a good store for the gift card.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think the picture album idea sounds great, but we don't really have any pictures of her. They've only been "sisters" since September and my dd is a level 2 and she is a level 5, so we don't even know her teammates. I do have one picture of her and my dd at a meet that I thought about framing, but I am 99% sure her mom has the same photo anyway (we both took pictures of them at the same time). The jewelry idea is something to think about. And of course a gift card is always possible. I was thinking something more personal, but we just really don't know her that well, so a gift card might be better.

Courageinstone.net has engraved stones and different tokens with a variety of words or sayings on them. You can even customize your own. They also have small organza gift bags to put a few stones and tokens in. I think it makes a very thoughtful gift. My daughter gave this as a small gift to an older teammate before and it was very well received. :)

maybe a "best friends" bracelet or necklace? One that has two parts, best on one part and friends on the other? Just a suggestion ;)

Or a necklace/bracelet that says "Sisters" if that's what your gym refers to them as when they pair them up. With a card thanking her for being a good gymnastics big "sister" to your little DD and wishing her luck.

I know you said probably not something gymnasticy, but a little gymnast charm (for charm bracelets or necklaces), could be a nice reminder of her gymnastics days that would fall within an appropriate price range. If you jump on EBay and search for gymnast charm I imagine you would see a good range.

Reactions: sce
Maybe a charm bracelet with a mix of charms. One a gymnast but others things like a peace sign, one that says friendship etc. Honoring that gym is one a piece of her life.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back