Off Topic How to fix soreness

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been running a lot recently, between 40 and 50 miles a week and my legs are so sore! I stretch after I do my warmup run before I do my actual run and I stretch after my cool down run too. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to fix soreness? My legs are pretty much sore all the time and my knees are pretty painful. Thanks!

Definitely cut back your mileage if your knees are hurting you. Also look up rolling your muscles, it does help. If you keep pushing through the pain you will end up having to stop running. Better to slow down and fix those knees.

Are you a runner or a gymnast?

Run less...for example...just run down the vault runway.

Well, someone else mentioned rolling out. For after track practice a lot of girls (myself included) use these little sticks to roll out. They are just a straight stick with little 'pipe' things on the that rotate. It makes the world of difference if your sore! 40-50 miles a week though is a lot...good luck :)

If your knees are hurting, fix your technique or switch to a bicycle. If you're slamming down on your heels and taking big long strides, you're going to end up with sore knees (and possibly hips and spine).

i would recommend not ice but hot bath. really hot. or sauna. everthing that increases blood flow and hence gets those inflammation stuff out of your body. ice just stops the inflammation - you do not wanna stop the inflammation after lots of exercise known as "soreness". it is part of the adaption process your body goes through after intense training. stopping it is stopping the pain but is also stopping the adaption. you do want these adaptions happening however - it is why you train in the first place! make them go faster, so to speak, by using sauna and a hot bath.

Are you a runner or a gymnast?

Run less...for example...just run down the vault runway.
I'm done gymnastics and now I am just a runner. Thanks for all the advice but I am not really able to run less because I am training for cross country right now. I have the rolling pin so I will try to start using that and taking hot baths!

Epsom salts baths can work wonders! You could get your gait analysed by a qualified professional, e.g. sports podiatrist. You could get checked out by a St John Neuromuscular Therapist - they measure aspects of your body to check if you have differences in bone lengths, postural issues, muscle imbalances, etc. They are great at figuring out how to get rid of pain. My husband was getting a very sore knee from running and a visit to the NMT showed he has one leg shorter than the other and his body twists in one direction (probably from the way he sits playing guitar), plus a number of other postural problems and muscle imbalances. He now wears a small insert in one shoe, and was given exercises to do for the other issues.

In this case...less is more!

Running to the extent where your knees are hurting and tiring yourself out IMO, is doing more harm than good. Would've been a good idea to not start off with 50miles a week, but to gradually increase. Take a break for a couple days (won't kill ya!) and let your body rest up and adjust. Good luck. :)

Soreness or pain is a signal that you may be hitting a training barrier. Evaluate your route, running surface, shoes and training methods. A small adjustment can make a big difference. Muscles and joints need time to recover and low impact actives such as aqua jogging can build endurance and ease soreness.

I run, and what I have learned is to not up mileage by more than 10% a week and if your body hurts it is a sign that you need to cut back. I only run every other day and build up during the week, so 5k, 7k 10k or 5k, 8k, 11k. I will walk other days and lift weights. But if anything hurts I will skip and run and slow things down a bit. Pain is your body's only way of telling you it has done too much.

Well if your knees hurt when you run, don't push it. Maybe take a break, go slower and maybe wear a knee brace when you run. To get rid of soreness, slowly stretch out the sore muscle.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back