WAG Gym owner advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How long did it take from the idea to when you opened your doors? Was it a new gym or did you take one over? I am in the long process of opening my own gym. I am just starting what I imagine will be a 3 year project, if not more. Right now I'm reading about opening a business- all the work it takes and the legal side of things. I am hoping to set up some meetings with a couple gym owners that I know to find out what they think are the most important things to know, but I thought I'd ask on here too. I'm looking for both the good and bad. What to absolutely make sure I do, but what to watch out for as well. I'm interested in both the running the business side of things (anything from building a good staff to which mat cleaners to use to what else to use the facility for, etc.) and the gymnastics side of things (when to hold classes vs. team, how to structure classes, etc.). I don't have any specific questions yet but I'm sure I'll come up with some. Thanks!!

When it becomes time for such things, if you read through posts in the parent's section here about communication, or actually, just read the stuff there on a regular basis. You'll get a really good understanding of *why* parents seem like they're crazy and demanding - generally out of frustration and bad communication. If you understand where they're coming from then firstly they won't behave like crazy people and secondly you'll be the best loved gym owner out there!

That you are asking questions here before you start up is a good sign. Keep an open mind to the answers you get, though don't be surprised that some of the "suggestions" are out in left field.

Your parents (customers) are going to have certain expectations. They may be realistic or they might not. Be very honest with yourself and your parents as to whether or not you can meet those expectations and also if the parents expectations are realistic in the context of your gym. After being strung along by one gym owner for a year, we finally voted with our dollars. It was no real surprise when several other families followed within 6 months (with no influence on our part).

There were some good suggestions of things to think about in the recent thread about renting a gym. Did you see that one @BarCoach ?

No, missed that one. I will look it up. Searching the forum last night I found some of my own old threads. About 5 years ago I was talking with a former boss about taking over his gym, then a mom said she would front the money for a new gym. But she backed out and he wanted too long a transition period so neither worked out. But I was too young anyway. I've since gotten married, had two kids, bought a house, and gotten lots of experience in the team management side of the gym. I've grown up a lot and am at a much better place to do this.
I'm looking to open in an affluent area with a large bordering city with one small, old gym. There is also a Y about 10 minutes away. They do have a nice facility and good rec classes but their team is low-level/quality. They will be some competition. Depending on when this happens there is some possibility I could take over the business from the gym I'm at now (the owner has mentioned it). It is small and the city is generally not as well off but they've been in business since 1973 and it could probably grow. That is probably the easier/better option but I'll have to see when the time comes if it is a real one. I have a co-worker who is as passionate about the sport as I am and who has written a business plan for a class. Is it worth asking her if she's like to go into a partnership? Part if me thinks it would be nice to have someone to run ideas by.
I have noted the importance of good communication and customer service and have had an opportunity to practice it as I run my own group at my current gym.

Anything on the business side of things that I need to be careful of? I'm nervous about doing it right with regards to the finances and legal aspects. My father-in-law has been a small business owner for most of his adult life but he is aging and losing some mental capacity (and the business recently had to close their storefront so I'm not sure how much help he'll be.
For now I'm just trying to read and learn as much as possible. I'm writing class schedules and descriptions, and a business plan. There is so much to do!

I would honestly look at what you want to be. Do you want to he a head coach or a business owner ? They are two distinct roles and I think that a successful owner will separate the roles. So either be a great administrator or a great coach and choose a partner/employee to be the other. It doesn't mean you can't be part of that part of the business, but I truly believe that they are both full time roles and you need to not be there 24/7 to keep your family life.

I think this also helps with communication with your customers.

Set an ethos from day one and make sure that it is clear and communicated to staff and customers alike. Ones size does not fit all, some families will love you, some will not be a good fit, be honest and let those who don't fit move on.

Surround yourself with the best people you can.

Get good legal advice, use a good accountant, only use people who have been personally recommended.

Avoid "mates rates", keep business business and friends as friends, mixing the two without clear boundaries is a recipe for disaster.

Do your homework. What is the market for your facility, what rates can the market absorb. Work out your costs and factor in decent wages for yourself and your employees. You will need a healthy surplus for renewing very expensive equipment, expansion etc.

Wondering if there are instances where a coach with no prior business has opened a gym and been successful. I have lots of ideas I'd like to put into place but I'm quickly learning it's a lot to take on.

The first thing we did was attend Metzger's Small Business Boot Camp. The second thing we did was write a business plan. We already knew where we wanted to be location wise. Very affluent city with no other gymnastics program at the time (It was a no brainer!). There were a few retail locations that we already had our eye on. Our business plan ended up being so vital because it helped us to secure our business loan (though we were turned down twice before we found a great local bank that backed us). We also had our own money to put into it as well (about $40,000). Bringing that kind of cash up front helped the bank feel more secure about lending to a brand new business.

The whole process from business plan to opening day took close to a year. We started in a small retail space in a shopping center surrounded by high income neighborhoods which really helped we to be seen and noticed quickly. Our space when we started was only 4,000 sq ft. In the three years we've been open, we have expanded our existing space to about 8,500 sq ft and we are in the process of adding an additional 1 to 3 thousand sq ft more. Currently, we run about 650 students through our gym weekly.

My biggest advice is to be patient. Everything at the beginning moves SO slow and can be quite frustrating. From signing/negotiating the lease, going to planning board meetings, waiting to receiving building permits, working with the contractor and the town etc... the list of stuff going on before you even move equipment into your space is lengthy and things take time. We thought we were going to easily be open in Oct and did not end up opening our doors until Feb. Financially, we had to account for that and be very careful of how we spent our money while waiting for our business to open.

I, as the gymnastics director (husband is the business manager) had to and still have to be patient to this day. We have a very small team (only 20 kids out of the 650 students) which makes sense finically because the more recreational students we have, the more profitable our gym becomes. As a former team coach, I would like to expand and make the team bigger... but long term. Our strategy from the beginning was to create a healthy recreational based program and once that is established, we can then look into expanding other less profitable programs, like team.

One other thing I felt like aided in our early success was how we differentiated ourselves from other gyms. Our gym is bright, colorful, clean and DOESN'T smell. We keep our mats and equipment looking as new as possible. We have extremely well thought out preschool and recreational lesson plans and content. We put so much time into making these programs as creative and innovative as we can. Our coaches and staff are super customer oriented. We try to get to know every family that spends time and money with us on a personal level. We try to set the standard in customer service.

So much more that I could write about but these are the first few things that came to mind. There is so much to do/think about and even though the process is long and tedious it is such an exciting time too! Wishing you the best of luck with your endeavors!

I do want to attend metzger's boot camp but wasn't sure when the appropriate time to go would be. This is mostly just an idea right now. I haven't talked with a lawyer, haven't finished a business plan, don't have a location, etc. is it too soon to go?

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's a big help. My husband has experience running a business so he could (and will) help with that aspect but that just pushes it out a little farther. He has two years left in school but then could realistically start the planning with me. My oldest child will start school (kindergarten) in a year and a half and then my youngest will start two years after that. Would it be better to wait until they are both in elementary school? I don't really want to wait that long.

oh, and a parents pet peeve - gym brats. Keep your own kids away as much as possible. If they are taking a class don't teach them (if you can avoid it), don't have have them there if they are not in a class. Its is a business and should be treated as such. I understand the temptation, and have had to take my kids to work when ill from school, but they are a major distraction and its unprofessional.

Jeff addressed the BG national conference a few years ago and I was lucky to attend - I think his boot camp is a great starting block and I would attend sooner rather than later - it will give you lots of things to think about.

Thanks so much. I'll look into the bootcamp.
I definitely don't want to teach my own kids but if this is happening when they are in school, my only opportunity to see them would be if they are at the gym. I certainly don't want them running around at their own free will or being a distraction but I do want to see them.
Anyone successfully open a gym with young kids? How did you make it work?

I definitely don't want to teach my own kids but if this is happening when they are in school, my only opportunity to see them would be if they are at the gym. I certainly don't want them running around at their own free will or being a distraction but I do want to see them.

Hence the point about scheduling a life for yourself. As a small business owner I understand that it can take over your life, and I have heard many gym owners complain that they are at the gym 7 days a week, if that is what's required then the business is not viable, you need a good lieutenant who can be trusted to sub for you on days off, meets, sick days, meetings, school things for the children, family time etc etc

I can say we had a fantastic experience at a small gym where the owner was the HC. It was a family business and her mom, stepdad, and two brothers all worked there part time as well. We are also currently at a gym run by a couple and their daughter is almost always there when we are and she is no distraction or disturbance at all. Nothing in life is one size fits all.

If you know your kids will be there, plan on setting aside one office for them. Furnish it with comfy chairs and colors they will like along with a desk for homework. There is no reason they can't spend time after school in the gym and in their room.

I bought an existing gym. But the previous owner and I worked together for quite sometime before I bought the business. This was the ideal situation because we faced many of the problems together we're I could use her experience as a sounding board to work out how I was going to deal with those problems.

By the time the business changed hands I had been doing the day to day running for quite some time.

You bring your own personality to the table when you take over a gym but there is so much value in taking all the knowledge you can from experienced owners. You don't have to agree with all they do, but be open to learning whatever you can.

Not exactly on point, but our HC took over the YMCA Gymnastics program years ago... And the Gymnastics program is not done at the actual YMCA, it has always been a few miles away from the Y, and she has total autonomy (for the most part).
She is the gymnastics program coordinator (planning rec and team, HR for gymnastics, fundraising, equipment procurement, etc), team HC, Jr. High HC (new as of this past fall), and High School HC (new as of the 2013-14 season). She also has 3 children (1 girl, who has been on team for 5 years, and 2 boys). The kids were NEVER a problem at the gym. Her oldest was an infant when she took over the program.

Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back