WAG Does Xcel score easier than JO?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I always thought it did, but in my first competition it seemed like the opposite. Was that just a coincidence, or does it actually score harder?(in general, I know there will be some where it varies)

On paper, according to the written xcel rules, the Xcel deductions for form errors are less than in JO. There is also a minimum score in Xcel (I think it's 4.0), but there is no minimum score in JO. As always, whether in JO or Xcel, each state/region will score differently. I am sure there are parts of the country where Xcel scoring will be harder than in other areas. In our area, Xcel scoring follows what is outlined in the rules and the scores are generally quite a bit higher than what you see in JO. However, Xcel is pretty much a rec league around here.

We had a minimum courtesy score in compulsories, they also have it in xcel. The only difference in easier or harder scoring I see is between sanctioned and unsanctioned meets.

No cast angle requirements on bars I think.
At Bronze, there are no cast angle requirements. At Silver and above there are... but Xcel has an "A" cast AND a "B" cast.
On paper, according to the written xcel rules, the Xcel deductions for form errors are less than in JO.
I just compared form errors for the Handspring vault (and have in the past compared other events)... the amount for form deductions is the same for JO and Xcel.
The only difference (compared to compulsories) is that there are no TEXT deductions. And when compared to JO Optionals, casts do not have to hit HS and each division has a different specified degree for split leaps / jumps ... and the max is 150º ... in JO Optionals, it has to be 180º.

Part of what makes Xcel scoring seem harder (especially comparing Gold or Platinum to L6) is that on Beam L6 needs 1 jump and 1 acro... so no series, but in Gold, there is a jump series (can lose SR if not connected) AND, if the gymnast wants to do the same acro 2x it has to be in series or connected to something else (no connection means they lose the SR. In Platinum, there is a jump series AND acro series, unless doing acro with flight (can lose both SR if they not connected).

Will you explain more about the A and B casts? I am interested especially for gold- maybe this explains the "bonus" the moms were discussing.

At our first meet this season there were JO girls and Xcel girls in opposing flights. Their scores were flashed on the same scoreboard. Overall the scores were very similar, with JO actually seeming a bit higher- now mind you they were probably cleaner (xcel hours here are pretty darn low). The average for a first place AA in xcel was in the 35s. Levels 5, 6 & 7 had first place AAs averaging36, 37, and 38 respectively.

At Bronze, there are no cast angle requirements. At Silver and above there are... but Xcel has an "A" cast AND a "B" cast.

I just compared form errors for the Handspring vault (and have in the past compared other events)... the amount for form deductions is the same for JO and Xcel.
The only difference (compared to compulsories) is that there are no TEXT deductions. And when compared to JO Optionals, casts do not have to hit HS and each division has a different specified degree for split leaps / jumps ... and the max is 150º ... in JO Optionals, it has to be 180º.

Part of what makes Xcel scoring seem harder (especially comparing Gold or Platinum to L6) is that on Beam L6 needs 1 jump and 1 acro... so no series, but in Gold, there is a jump series (can lose SR if not connected) AND, if the gymnast wants to do the same acro 2x it has to be in series or connected to something else (no connection means they lose the SR. In Platinum, there is a jump series AND acro series, unless doing acro with flight (can lose both SR if they not connected).
You are the Xcel master, @raenndrops !!! :) thanks! Always good info...

Will you explain more about the A and B casts? I am interested especially for gold- maybe this explains the "bonus" the moms were discussing.
There are NO bonuses!!!!! The A and B don't matter until Platinum (where they are required to have 1 B on each event).
"A" Cast is a cast that is between Horizontal and 20º from HS.
"B" Cast is a cast between 20º from HS to HS.

Raenndrops, I am new to Xcel this year and have read the code of point countless times. You are quick to respond and its nice to know the answer I would give in response is what you already write. Helps me be more confident in knowing what I'm talking about, lol. You are very helpful and I've learned a lot just reading your responses to Xcel posts.

Raenndrops, I am new to Xcel this year and have read the code of point countless times. You are quick to respond and its nice to know the answer I would give in response is what you already write. Helps me be more confident in knowing what I'm talking about, lol. You are very helpful and I've learned a lot just reading your responses to Xcel posts.
I am glad I can be of help!!!!!!
Lol, I am the one that pushed HC to offer Xcel at our gym... I was pushing for it back when it was still Prep-Op (2 years before the National Standards). Region 5 started what would be the National Standards 1 year early, and that was when we actually began our Xcel Team... with 2 girls... then my OG joined after her first "break" from gymnastics. The Next season (last year), we had 7 Xcel Gold and 1 Platinum. 2 of the Gold were SUPPOSED to move up, but OG was one of them and the other girl didn't get her kip.... SO, we have 9 Xcel Gold and 1 Platinum... and 3 from last year are competing High School, so not on our team.
I read all the USAG updates and try to stay on top of everything. It's in my nature... I love to learn (I have SEVERAL years of college to show for it, lol, starting with almost 10 years of undergrad and 2 Bachelor Degrees and ending with my M.Ed in Secondary Ed and a license to teach Math, Social Studies, AND English in grades 7-12).
Also, my gymmies are both in Xcel (although OG is taking time off and YG just came back after a 2 - 3 month break at the beginning of January).

I am glad I can be of help!!!!!!
Lol, I am the one that pushed HC to offer Xcel at our gym... I was pushing for it back when it was still Prep-Op (2 years before the National Standards). Region 5 started what would be the National Standards 1 year early, and that was when we actually began our Xcel Team... with 2 girls... then my OG joined after her first "break" from gymnastics. The Next season (last year), we had 7 Xcel Gold and 1 Platinum. 2 of the Gold were SUPPOSED to move up, but OG was one of them and the other girl didn't get her kip.... SO, we have 9 Xcel Gold and 1 Platinum... and 3 from last year are competing High School, so not on our team.
I read all the USAG updates and try to stay on top of everything. It's in my nature... I love to learn (I have SEVERAL years of college to show for it, lol, starting with almost 10 years of undergrad and 2 Bachelor Degrees and ending with my M.Ed in Secondary Ed and a license to teach Math, Social Studies, AND English in grades 7-12).
Also, my gymmies are both in Xcel (although OG is taking time off and YG just came back after a 2 - 3 month break at the beginning of January).
I feel like, for a newbie, both the Xcel and JO Code of Points are tough to interpret...so, yes, thank you for your help in clarifying!

DD has done both. Her Xcel scores were much higher overall (AA) as a general rule in Xcel than they were in JO L3. Example - same vault (I realize the Bronze vault can also be done differently, but our gym used the same L3 JO vault for bronze) - DD's high score was a 9.6 something in Xcel. Highest vault in L3 was 9.2. Bars, BIG score difference, but DD struggled with the shoot through and mill circle and our XB girls did the bare minimum, so not a fair comparison. However, her beam and floor scores were much higher in L3 than in XB with the exception of the one meet where she fell twice on beam in L3 (THAT was painful to watch).

I guess my whole point is that there really aren't fewer deductions, just DIFFERENT ones to my untrained eye. XB didn't take off points for the speed of her vault run, she got nailed early on in JO for it. Different. We don't have a strong Xcel program at our gym so it was a "going nowhere" endeavor for DD in terms of improving her gymnastics or challenging her, so JO was the right move, but in another environment I don't know where she'd land.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back