WAG Level 5 Floor critiques?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm a tall gymnast myself and I to struggle with being tight! I've found that it's so much better to try and be as tight as possible though!

It really is her legs! She has long, skinny legs; so the slightest bend is noticeable! Throughout the entire floor routine her legs are bent and her toes aren't pointed. Her robhbt looks a little awkward as well, lots of hip shifts. She also has the wrong arm movements going down in the ending pose. Maybe work on that with her. But it looks great!

Thanks for all the input everyone! She struggles with those legs...there are times where she can have them locked tight and straight as they can be and they still look bent! I think some of it is being so long that her full extension isn't quite true full extension, and sometime those knobby knees give the appearance of being bent! That being said, she also has moments where she's concentrating so hard on something else, that she doesn't pay enough attention to knees and feet. She focuses on pointing toes on a skill where it's obvious they need pointed (splits, handstands, etc) But It's those moments between skills or passing through positions that she needs to remember that a foot off the floor should always be pointed!

Yep....it's all clear now, huh? ;)

My "athletic" background is ballet so I definitely notice the lack of full extension in the knees and toes. "A foot not on the ground must be pointed" is so deep my subconscious that I still do it to this day! I didn't think she was missing huge gymnastic skills or details, but it's good to get that confirmation. I figured she was being "tenth'd" to death. Guess the good news is that some work on tighter knees should improve a lot of the deductions at once!

The leap is a work in progress - a new coach this summer noticed that she was leaping with the "wrong leg" compared to her other skills in the routine. (That's all still greek to me...) So, after an entire season leaping with one leg she had to change. It's come a long way but that back leg still tends to be a bit too passive. Her other lead leg leap is better, sadly. I wish that had been caught earlier!
Another thing I noticed (aside from previously mentioned) was her full turn... she stepped forward across her body... like an over-rotation (or she was trying to save a fall).

Thanks for all the input everyone! She struggles with those legs...there are times where she can have them locked tight and straight as they can be and they still look bent! I think some of it is being so long that her full extension isn't quite true full extension, and sometime those knobby knees give the appearance of being bent! That being said, she also has moments where she's concentrating so hard on something else, that she doesn't pay enough attention to knees and feet. She focuses on pointing toes on a skill where it's obvious they need pointed (splits, handstands, etc) But It's those moments between skills or passing through positions that she needs to remember that a foot off the floor should always be pointed!
This may sound weird... BUT...
Have you tried using good make up that won't come off on her knees to minimize the APPEARANCE of knobby knees.

I don't personally wear ANY make up due to allergies, but my cousin has "one of those noses" that "enters the room well before she does" (just repeating the joke she tells, not meaning anything by it)... she is able to shade and contour so her nose looks less obvious.

This may sound weird... BUT...
Have you tried using good make up that won't come off on her knees to minimize the APPEARANCE of knobby knees.

I don't personally wear ANY make up due to allergies, but my cousin has "one of those noses" that "enters the room well before she does" (just repeating the joke she tells, not meaning anything by it)... she is able to shade and contour so her nose looks less obvious.

LOL - it crossed my mind that disguising those knobby knees might help her. She still can have a lot more awareness of being tight consistently but there are times where she looks bent when she truly isn't because of those knees! My husband jokingly said we should get her some knee braces to cover them up! Never though of makeup!

LOL - it crossed my mind that disguising those knobby knees might help her. She still can have a lot more awareness of being tight consistently but there are times where she looks bent when she truly isn't because of those knees! My husband jokingly said we should get her some knee braces to cover them up! Never though of makeup!
Trust me, unless the knee braces are flesh colored, they will just amplify the knobby bends. We have a girl that has to wear one and the judges seem to focus on that leg and ding her repeatedly... Personal Best (Xcel Gold) Floor is 8.15 ... bent knee on leaps, jumps, and all 4 acro skills. Poor girl!

Oh my...talk about getting tenthed to death. The judges at today's meet took no prisoners - 7.4! Didn't look any different than this video to me. Hard for her to swallow when she has been working hard on being tighter and more precise the past two weeks. But, she stuck her vault and beam routines, so she's still smiling!

This may seem strange, but put her hair in a bun. It's too long. Very distracting and contributes to a look of sloppiness.
Everyone else already mentioned all the areas she needs to work on. Do all those things and shorter ponytail or bun. She'll be a gorgeous gymnast once she figures all of that out.

Or you could braid her pony tail and tuck it back up in to the elastic. Sometimes I do 3 or 4 braids and tuck them up and secure it all with her scrunchie. Looks super cute.

That might be successful. Her coaches don't require a specific hairstyle, just clean and off the face so we've been doing he French braid. The looped braided ponytail might be a fair compromise!

I think she just needs to be more dynamic with the routine. Extending the arms and neck will make the routine look a lot cleaner and tell her to look like she is enjoying the routine more!! Judges actually look at that and it helps!!! I hope this helps her improve even more!!

Reviving my own old-ish thread with an update that she got a 9.075 today!! She's been working so hard and I'm so glad to see it pay off for her! (And, btw, I got her into a bun for today's meet....maybe I can convince her that helped too!)
Yay for her!!!

I fully believe that very neat & tidy hair can't hurt ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back