WAG Front Limbers/Thanks Rick and Andrew

• Thread starter Deleted member D3987
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd has to do a line forward and backward in her warm up. She has always struggled with this kind of thing like bridges. She's just not bendy. But she's strong and a pretty good little gymnast. She was always low scoring in the flexibility part of our version of the tops program.

I don't think any of her coaches have really pushed her too hard in this area. She's lucky they have mostly been pretty understanding of her limitations. I still worry about her back though.

Why do they have that skill in the L3 routine? Most of the young ones look especially bad doing that element. Maybe it's a body control thing.

Over the years (7 of them so far), our team has had several girls who couldn't do the bridge kickover, but had all the other skills for the level. They competed and would do the handstand and try to at least fall into the bridge... then drop and stand up and continue. They didn't get the greatest floor scores, but it was a better alternative than having them try and try and try again.

I could always do the handstand into the bridge (even on beam)... just could never kick over. That was why my bridge never made it past the low beam... had to "hop" my feet and separate them to catch the floor. Then I would sit up on the beam :)

Over the years (7 of them so far), our team has had several girls who couldn't do the bridge kickover, but had all the other skills for the level. They competed and would do the handstand and try to at least fall into the bridge... then drop and stand up and continue. They didn't get the greatest floor scores, but it was a better alternative than having them try and try and try again.

I could always do the handstand into the bridge (even on beam)... just could never kick over. That was why my bridge never made it past the low beam... had to "hop" my feet and separate them to catch the floor. Then I would sit up on the beam :)

Why did you ever attempt a handstand bridge kickover on the beam?

Why did you ever attempt a handstand bridge kickover on the beam?
Because I did a handstand and went too far on the low beam in Middle School during gym class. I was good at bridges and backbends and managed to land it... just couldn't get back up. After that, it was just FUN, and the fact that nobody else in my class could do it was a bonus, lol.

For the most part, I am a self-taught gymnast. My only coach was a former high school gymnast that happened to also be an older cousin of mine. She had a nice set-up for me to use. If she had it her way, I would have been doing aerials on the beam (when I couldn't even do them on the floor... after all, it took me years to get a one-handed cartwheel). I was able to do beam cartwheels and round-offs and HS-Bridge... I always went too far if I actually hit vertical.

Ooh one of my (not) favorite skills! I have the worst time trying to stay in the bridge, I just pop right up out of it! Fortunately I don't compete otherwise I'd be competing that!

As the mom of a not-so-flexible but very strong gymnast it's nice to see that there are those out there that think that she has her place in this sport, and that there are others like her. She fights for the flexibility but is always one of the first to achieve the tumbling and strength related skills.

That skill was harder than my front/back walkover, lol :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back