MAG The coaching carosel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

momto2js

Proud Parent
We found out after our meet this weekend that our assistant coach quit and tonight was his last night. He has been with the boys 4 month or so and connected with them. This will be my son's 7th coach in 3 years. He is an 8 year old level 5. Coach left for personal reasons, but I don't know what to tell my son. He is going to be crushed. How do you handle consistent turnover in a program? Where do clubs go to find new coaches? I am stunned, we liked him so much.

Oh I am so sorry. That is so hard on the team. I hope things settle down for you!

That sucks, I'm sorry. My 8-year-old DS would be devastated if his coach left. I know we'll have to deal with it someday, though. I hope they find a great new coach soon!

So sorry - we seem to be finally "getting used" to the revolving coaches situation - although all three of mine are at least hoping to not have the HCs leave quite as often as happened in the last 18 months! Its tough, I know there are larger gyms that can afford to attract, pay well and therefor keep multiple well trained, likable coaches...

Good luck for your team with finding a new assistant coach - on the positive, each coaches a little different and learning to work with different approaches is great for the kids - plus sometimes the "new blood" is exactly what a kid needs to blossom - my boys have definitely taken off with their new (albeit temporary) coach!

7 coaches in three years sound like awfully high turnover. That's got to be hard on the kids.

It has been alot. Thankfully, up until now they haven't had enough time to get attached. This coach really connected with them. The fact he just evaporated will be tough.

We moved to a large, well established gym with long term coaches in the hopes my sons don't have to deal with this. The last gym they were at had the same coach for 4 years, at 3 different gyms (high gym turnover?), but we found out he was leaving to a gym out of the area, and that was it for us. We are crossing fingers this is the last gym with coaches who will stay around, but you just never know.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back