Parents Scoring Question: Out of Curiosity...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Eagleperson

Proud Parent
What would be the bigger deduction on a level 3 floor routine: not doing the BHS, doing it with a spot, doing it on one's own very poorly?
Thanks!!

Not doing it at all. But if you mean unsafely (poorly) then please, for your child's safety sake have her take a spot or omit it. It's Level 3.
Thanks! And it really is just an out of curiosity question after attending a meet this week and watching different gymnasts and different coaches make different decisions!

I don't have a video. I am just curious about whether or not omitting the BHS in the floor routine would be a greater deduction than doing it with a spot. thanks!
I am pretty sure that omitting is a less of a deduction. My dd had a teammate who did each one at different meets. Her score was better omitting. As for doing a very poor one vs. omitting it's not clear. If it counts as a fall then it's probably worse than omitting.

An omission will lose the athlete the value of the element which is more than a fall. A spot can vary depending on how much help the coach provides. A bad one---well, it just depends.

An omission will lose the athlete the value of the element which is more than a fall. A spot can vary depending on how much help the coach provides. A bad one---well, it just depends.
As far as I know a spot is a set deduction. If the coach touches the athlete at all. Omitting is a bigger deduction than a fall alone, but on the backhandspring if is so bad that it counts as fall, you get the fall, other form deductions and possibly loss of the element as well.

I don't really know, but when my DD competed last year level 3, she omitted her BHS for the first half of the season. She still routinely received scores in the mid to high 8's.

I can tell you though, I have been to some meets this year that the coaches should have omitted the BHS or spotted... Very little makes me cringe more than seeing wobbly elbows, groggy legs and a girlie almost hitting their head.... Many that I have seen should have never been allowed to be competed...just my opinion.

Now I am seeing similar issues with the level 4 FHS vault...actually saw a girl get hurt at DD's last meet because of bent elbows, and just not having the skill but being allowed to
compete it...

I am pretty sure that in compulsory routines omitting or substituting a major skill is double the value of the element. So omitting a .6 skill results in a 1.2 deduction (that's the way it was when were at those levels anyways). If the coach touches the athlete during the element then it's the value of the element plus .5 (it's different if the touch is just for the landing). imho, if there is that much concern that a coach is spotting them during a meet, then I don't think they should be doing the skill (it's just a matter of safety).

From what we were told, omitting it and being spotted are almost negilgible (0.1 difference) ... so our coaches only spot IF they can do it CONNECTED and BEAUTIFULLY with the spot. We never allow a child who can't do it SAFELY to compete it.

Isn't there also a missed connection deduction? So, if you omit BHS, you get .6 for the skill and .3 I think for connection, so .9 total, right? If the spot deduction is only .5, then it's better to do it with a spot.
Our coaches are not fans of spotting at meets for some reason. As I posted before, DD has problems with her ROBHSBHS. She can do it just fine with a spot (very light spot, barely touching), but gets nervous doing it on her own. Yet, they let her omit it rather than spotting.

depends on the judge if she does a bad one......I have seen the judge penalize so much, as to tell to the coach "why are you putting the girls in danger and competing them'

I have been to lots of meets here and have never seen a coach spot any skill ever. Is it really that common in the US?
I see it less in Optionals than in Compulsories and more earlier in the season than later. We have 15 L3 girls... 6 do their ROBHS without a coach even on the floor... 4 have a coach stand there, but not spot ... 3 have BEAUTIFUL ones, IF a coach lightly spots, but are scared to do it unless they feel a finger on their backs... and 2 just omit the BHS. Other teams in our district seem to have about the same ratios.

I have only seen a few teams that had a coach spot anything in competition. Overall, those teams seemed much less advanced than the others attending.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back