Online Schooling?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lizzy Brennan

Coach
Gymnast
Hi! Have any of you ever wondered about doing online schooling? I'll tell you a little about myself first, I'm a 15 year old sophomore and an xcel platinum gymnast. Doing online school would not change my gym hours or effect my gymnastics at all.
I am mainly interested in doing this because of the anxiety and stress that normal school causes me. I hardly have friends, and am extremely socially awkward. I am (not trying to brag in any way) pretty smart. I am in all honors classes and have good grades (A - B- range), but I find myself getting bored and easily distracted in all of my classes but Algebra II. I have never been formally diagnosed with ADHD, but I'm about 90% I've got it. Focusing in class is a major struggle for me because I get bored, and I feel that an online curriculum would be able to fit my strengths and weaknesses.
I'm about to sound like every teenager that has ever gone through high school, but my teachers are bad. For example: A couple of days ago while I was in Algebra II, I was half-paying attention to what the teacher was saying, half-trying to write down what we were going to be quizzing on over the next few days. Well, I like to use different colors, so I was switching pens while I was writing, but the teacher must not have liked that. So, in the middle of the lesson he stops, looks at me, and says "I hope you're a good multi-tasker" he said something like this three more times as I turned stark white out of embarrassment. I tried to mutter an apology, but he wasn't going to have it. So, after calling me out in the middle of the class and embarrassing me to the point of tears, he finally continued on as I tried to hold it together.
This is a pretty common experience for me, and not just in this classroom. Biology, English, and Algebra II are all the same.
So, this is really not a gymnastsics related post, but I just want to hear your opinions on what I should do. I have never brought this up with my parents, I'm afraid of what they would say. Any comments are appreciated!

Focusing in a setting where 20+ kids are talking about completely inappropriate, off-topic, subjects is my problem. I have gotten so much more work done at my house than I ever have at school. It's odd, but I am more focused when getting projects and homework done at home, than school.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I had few friends in high school, I'm not what you'd call socially "normal" by any means (but at this point I don't even care any more), and I was the top of my class. I find it easier to focus when alone and not distracted by other students. That being said, going to public school helped me a lot with being social and I can communicate with people decently now because of it. My SECOND two years of high school, so junior and senior year, were better for me. I had a smaller group of students to interact with in my full honors schedule and all of them were dedicated to learning, just as I was. I finally started making friends during this time as well.

I don't believe I have attention disorder, though I am often scatter-brained. I get easily distracted and my mind simply wanders, even when I'm trying to focus during lectures. I don't consciously decide to think of other topics, my mind just shuts down and stops living in the real world; rather, it transitions to inside my head. Moreover, if I'm with a group of people I'm comfortable with I find it very difficult to stay focused on my task at hand.

Nevertheless, I survived high school and graduated at the top of my class. While I wouldn't want to ever repeated it, I'm glad I experienced high school.

Ultimately it is your decision, but junior and senior year definitely got better for me.

Also, your teachers sound awfully particular. I can't offer any help here except either become friends with them (like me) or lay low on their radar.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I had few friends in high school, I'm not what you'd call socially "normal" by any means (but at this point I don't even care any more), and I was the top of my class. I find it easier to focus when alone and not distracted by other students. That being said, going to public school helped me a lot with being social and I can communicate with people decently now because of it. My SECOND two years of high school, so junior and senior year, were better for me. I had a smaller group of students to interact with in my full honors schedule and all of them were dedicated to learning, just as I was. I finally started making friends during this time as well.

I don't believe I have attention disorder, though I am often scatter-brained. I get easily distracted and my mind simply wanders, even when I'm trying to focus during lectures. I don't consciously decide to think of other topics, my mind just shuts down and stops living in the real world; rather, it transitions to inside my head. Moreover, if I'm with a group of people I'm comfortable with I find it very difficult to stay focused on my task at hand.

Nevertheless, I survived high school and graduated at the top of my class. While I wouldn't want to ever repeated it, I'm glad I experienced high school.

Ultimately it is your decision, but junior and senior year definitely got better for me.

Also, your teachers sound awfully particular. I can't offer any help here except either become friends with them (like me) or lay low on their radar.

Wow! I'm so glad that high school ended on a better note for you. I am not so worried about the social aspect as I am a social person. It's more that I have an issue with the way that most of my peers act, and lately, my "best friends" have been falling into that petty, dramatic crowd too. I don't work well or talk well with people whom I am not close with, but I do fine with the people I know. I know that school helps with that problem, but honestly, I can get that interaction at other places. My main goal with online schooling would be a more individualized curriculum, and more opportunities for me to learn in a way that suits me. In the end, it's up to my parents, who know me best! Thank you for your perspective.

Reactions: COz
I struggled a lot with anxiety from school when I was in public school. I've been able to overcome this through homeschooling, I think online school might help you too.

I have been homeschooled (and doing online courses for a large portion of that time) for quite awhile (I chose to be homeschooled). At first it was really hard and not so enjoyable - I found it hard to motivate myself to learn. However, I learnt a valuable lesson which many people only learn at Uni - I learnt to learn by myself! Once I learnt this skill I was very motivated to learn and this has been a hugely successful route for me. It's not for everyone, but I definitely recommend homeschooling because you can be flexible and work at your own pace with less distraction.

I have been homeschooled (and doing online courses for a large portion of that time) for quite awhile (I chose to be homeschooled). At first it was really hard and not so enjoyable - I found it hard to motivate myself to learn. However, I learnt a valuable lesson which many people only learn at Uni - I learnt to learn by myself! Once I learnt this skill I was very motivated to learn and this has been a hugely successful route for me. It's not for everyone, but I definitely recommend homeschooling because you can be flexible and work at your own pace with less distraction.

This answers a lot of my worries, thank you! May I ask, what to you do all day? I am worried that I would end up rushing through my work, and then spending half my day watching TV, as all of my activities are after normal school hours.

This answers a lot of my worries, thank you! May I ask, what to you do all day? I am worried that I would end up rushing through my work, and then spending half my day watching TV, as all of my activities are after normal school hours.

Creating a timetable for the day can be useful. You can schedule in which subject you do when, allowing yourself breaks here and there. Decide what you want to achieve in the year and use this to plan what you do each week e.g. 5 chapters from your science book. Be disciplined - 'no TV until I've done my work for the day! And no TV until after 3:30 PM even if I've done all my work' (you could always get ahead and start on tomorrow's work or do revision), for example.

There are lots of online learning companies such as the Open University - they are likely to set up a schedule for you to keep up with.

Creating a timetable for the day can be useful. You can schedule in which subject you do when, allowing yourself breaks here and there. Decide what you want to achieve in the year and use this to plan what you do each week e.g. 5 chapters from your science book. Be disciplined - 'no TV until I've done my work for the day! And no TV until after 3:30 PM even if I've done all my work' (you could always get ahead and start on tomorrow's work or do revision), for example.

There are lots of online learning companies such as the Open University - they are likely to set up a schedule for you to keep up with.

Thank you for this information, if I can convince my parents to go through with this, I will be sure to use this tactic.

I go to a normal high school, and after school also do an online course. I found forcing myself(or my parents forcing me) to do math didn't help me. It was harder and I learned less. But sometimes when I was interested and chose to do it, I learned more and had more fun. Of course if it's never interesting, you need to force yourself, but if one time you don't really feel up to it, as long as you keep up it shouldn't really harm you to not do it right that second. I'm not sure how that would work with more than one class though, and my schedule is very flexible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back