Off Topic Nyc ideas

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Galadriel

Proud Parent
Dd eldest (21) going to nyc in 2 weeks
Staying mid town manhattan
54th and 6th
Any not to be missed apart from the very well known (eg where to breakfast and cool stuff they might miss?)

I love NYC. Fav city ever.

Top of the Rock for a killer view of the city without the lines of the ESB.
Skating there
The Met
The Guggenheim
9/11 memorial if they are informed about it.
Staten Island Ferry to see the skyline and the Statue of liberty
Roosevelt Island tram (actually a cable car)

Breakfast - tons of food all over the place, in fact you will fall over a diner ever corner. Lots of street food too, some great stuff in fact.

Greenwich Village - wander down Bleeker St, see Washington Square park. Eat cheesecake at Rocco's pasticceria and eat pizza at Johns pizza.

Chelsea Market and the highline for some hipster food and a walk.

A metro pass for 7 days is $31, best deal ever. Use the subway and the buses.

Make sure they have lots of layers, hat, gloves, scarf and a warm, long coat. NYC is COLD in Feb.

Teach them about tipping. If you sit down to eat you tip. 20% on the bill. If you get food at a counter and leave you do not tip unless you want to. Taxis 20%.

Are they going to party? They must carry their passports if they want to drink alcohol, they will be "carded" and some places do not take drivers licence as proof.

Look on Goldstar.com for cheap and fun things to do. I have got some steals there.

Ellen's Stardust Cafe...in Manhattan....walking distance from Times Square... Food is pub style, but they only hire aspiring Broadway performers... The waiters and waitresses take turns singing the whole time you are there.... It was like being at a Musical/dinner theater/party... Had a blast and did not want to leave! Most of them end up on Broadway.
Also... Century 21 is a large department store that sells at discount... It is close to the 9/11 memorial.

Junior's Cheesecake! Delicious. I've been to the one in Brooklyn, but there is one in Times Square as well- http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/our_restaurants/

You can get same-day Broadway tickets for a discount at these ticket booths in various places around the city, also have them ask at the hotel for deals on show tickets if there is something they really want to see:
https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-Overview

Window shopping and going through any of the big department stores is always fun- Bergdorf's, Saks, Henri Bendel are all fun. I actually got my prom dress from a clearance rack at Sak's for $100. Of course no one needed to know the price ;) St. Patrick's Cathedral on 5th Ave. is spectacular.

Dylan's Candy Bar flagship store on the Upper Eastside is a blast for any sweet lover. Lots of candy, really cute decor (all sweet themed), and a cafe with all sorts of sweets.

Like Bog said, bring lots of warm stuff! It can get VERY cold. Make sure they get bagels, NYC has the best!

Studentrush is another great place to get tickets. You do not necessarily have to be a student to buy.

@coachmolly I am still trying to work out NYC bagels. They are just like fat bread. Montreal bagels, now they are the bomb diggity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/02/montreal-bagels_n_5247880.html

I love Juniors too, I find meals are overpriced, but the cheesecake is awesome.

The food court in Grand Central Station is excellent, there is a Juniors in there and a ton of other cheap and cheerful options.

Go to Times Square once, it is like Disney not where the locals go. Tons of other cool stuff to see.

What are they into??

Interested in tickets for a show
Better now online? or when there
Good discount Nike trainers in manhattan or converse

The TKTS booths are in Times Square, under the big red steps that you cannot miss. Also at the South St Seaport and in Brooklyn.

You can check on their website what is being sold daily. But do check student rush and goldstar as deals may be better on those sites may have better deals ahead of time.

For converse you can go to the Converse store and design your own to pick up three days later. Very cool thing to do. They will find converse and Nike are sold at tons of shoe stores if they walk along Broadway in SOHO.

Macy's also offers a discount card to tourists on top of their already good pricing. Just ask where in store and they will send you to the customer service desk.

Do let the girls know that taxes are not included in the prices in the US, so sales tax is added at the till.

There is a tickets booth in times square... Can't miss it...there is a set of huge stairs attached... Or ask one of the many police officers...they will point you in the right direction... The booth in times square is very busy... Had friends who just went to the box office on the day of the show and got cheap tickets at the door.... For viewing the city I also recommend Top of the Rock...

I just hope the weather improves for them!
Sounds grim at the moment....

She has asked me if I want anything bringing back - racking my brains! I love the Reeses choccy peanut butter stuff - if its mega cheap (?) she can suitcase me some. i might ask for some leather converse.
But am unsure really. Any top ideas? Is perfume cheaper than duty free?
I am outdoorsy, style (if not in hiking gear or work clothes!) is typically skinny jeans, ankle boots, long sleeve t shirt, long cardigan, or gilet, scarf. I know it may seem sad but i also like steampunk jewellery, and vintage/boho stuff.
Something easy for her to pick up - as its her holiday! (so exciting)

Bryant park us also a cool place to check out... Little craft boutiques with some different stuff...got some mittens that everyone asks about.. And I think there is skating there...just in case...the skating at Rockefeller center is expensive.. If she can...check out times square, but then head to Soho and Chelsea to shop.. She'll find different stuff there...and it is chilly... I bought the mittens out if necessity...plus a hat... And that was in November.... And I'm from Canada...so I gave a pretty strong definition of cold!

Tell her to go to Duane Reade pharmacy for cheap choccy, and beer. Which I do find odd.

If she is there over a weekend tell her to go to the Brooklyn Flea, it is indoors in the winter and it is full of all kinds of funky stuff, definitely a place for vintage finds.

Make sure they wear layers and they will be fine, a scarf to cover the face is a very good thing. Warm socks and boots too. It is way colder here than NYC right now and we somehow survive without the word knowing about it!!

Just let me know. We can do the grand food tour.
Ooooh, can I come too please? :) Despite living in the states for 6 years I've never made it to Canada. I really would like to see it one day. Might have to wait until I've 'finished' my diet though as sounds like I'd need to go on another one after. Major fan of bread here!

Ooooh, can I come too please? :) Despite living in the states for 6 years I've never made it to Canada. I really would like to see it one day. Might have to wait until I've 'finished' my diet though as sounds like I'd need to go on another one after. Major fan of bread here!

Totally, though France has it pretty good for bread I recall, cheese not shabby either.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back