WAG Grip Problems???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been using the same pair of grips for about 8 months now and about a month and a half ago whenever I would try to do a kip cast handstand on the highbar I would end up doing a front hip circle instead. I have tried new grips of the same brand (Ginnasta USA) and they continued to do the same thing. I just broke in a pair of Riesports today but haven't tried the kip cast hs in a row yet on the high bar. One of my coaches is getting really mad that I can't do a cast and I have tried to explain it to him but he just doesn't get it. My other coach understands what is going on and is trying to help me get through it. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on what to do?

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. Do the grips feel like they're slipping on the kip so when you go to cast they're in a weird position? I don't really see the correlation between grip issues & casts unless the problem is in the skill before it. I have trouble with my grips all the time, but I attribute it to the fact that my gym doesn't chalk the bars at all so they're extremely slippery. At meets I have no problem. Maybe the problem lies in your cast rather than the grips? It's hard to tell without seeing it. I use reisports & I love them. Mine usually last about 6 months & then I need a new pair.

They don't feel like they are slipping at all. The coach that understands how frustrated I am said that they were to stretched out so I got the new pair, but the new pair did it still. Then I tried one of her daughter's old pairs and they also did it. I can give you a link to one of my more recent videos and see if you might be able to identify where the problem is coming from if that would help?

Hmm that does sound strange. I understand how frustrating grip issues can be! A video would be great so that I can see what's going on. It's hard to visualize based on text.

This is from a few months ago but maybe the problem was already there and just wasn't big enough of an issue until now that it started affecting my skills.

I watched the video several times, & I have trouble seeing any issues in terms of grips. The only thing I noticed is that you did have to regrip the bar quite a bit. I know some regripping is necessary, but you shifted your hands about 3 times on each giant & even on some kips. I don't know if that was indicative of an underlying grip issue. Other than that, everything looks good. You have pretty good cast mechanics. Your legs are a little slow coming up & around but I don't think that would be the cause of the current problem. Has it gotten any better this week? If not maybe you could try to get a video of what's happening now. Sorry I'm not much help! I hope it improves soon!

Thank you for looking and responding. My coach has figured out the problem, I am basically forgetting the basics of how to do a kip. I will see if I can figure out how to post a video on here from the competition a couple weekends ago.

You are at a pretty advanced skill level on bars so I think you would know if it was just your grips and it would have become a gradual issue that you noticed and replaced before it was a big thing. I think you are having a problem with your vestibular system which is preventing you from orienting your body like you were before. This happens sometimes suddenly. You just lose the feeling of doing something. You might have grown recently or had an illness that affected your balance.

I think if you work on kip small casts and slowly build it up over a period of several weeks (or whatever it takes), like you're learning how to do it again, you will npbe able to overcome it.

Assuming it hasn't been resolved, I'm not sure from your update.

sorry for not replying sooner, I've been really busy with school
I am actually out for the rest of the season now due to injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back