WAG Summer gymnastics camps costs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
OK, this is completely out of curiosity since I don't think we'd do any camps quite yet. I was looking at the camps in the USA Gymnastics magazine and noticed the Karolyi's camp is like 1/2 the price of the others! I must be missing something...I would think if anything it would be more expensive? Just wondering!

It is pretty cheap compared to others, but you also have to factor in travel (if you live far). I go to a college summer camp for a weekend and it is around $595.

Travel might factor into the cost being cheaper, or the volume of kids they get per session. If I were to travel for a camp, spending money on the camp and travel/housing costs, I would want to make sure the volume of kids wasn't so high that my DD could get lost in the crowd. What kind of ratio do they work with, will your kids get enough time with a coach in to make it worth all that time to get there. Maybe a closer camp is more expensive but you have less volume and DD get more one on one time. I suggest comparing a few options then calling to ask these kinds of questions. When you are ready to do camps that is. :)

Thanks! When do you think is a good time? By this summer she'll be 8 (which seems so young to be gone for a week! But clearly it's pretty normal..) and hopefully will scored out of 4/5 by then. The plan is to start optionals in the fall.

It all depends on your child as far as when they're ready. My DD has done a bigger camp and also a small college camp and she liked the college camp better. MUCH smaller groups and individualized attention - and a lot less money.

DD did flip fest at just turned 8, 8-9 (had her birthday at camp), and 9 (almost 10) in TN. DS went at just turned 7 and almost 8. THey loved it. Last summer DD just turned 11 went to a local gym camp and liked that too.
Interestinnly, the year she had the hardest time missing me was the year she was the oldest at flip fest...go figure...

The age a kid will be ready for sleep away camp will vary greatly- and you know your kid the best. My girls started out with a bang- three weeks straight of sleep away camp starting at age 8. They thrived but for some kids that would be way too much. This summer my 13yo will be flying alone to Boston for a 2.5 week camp at Wellesley and Harvard medical school. Next year she plans to spend a month of the summer working at a remote orphanage in India. My younger dd is 11 and refused her favorite summer camp for this year because she doesn't want to fly alone- I say let your dd be the guide.

The age a kid will be ready for sleep away camp will vary greatly- and you know your kid the best. My girls started out with a bang- three weeks straight of sleep away camp starting at age 8. They thrived but for some kids that would be way too much. This summer my 13yo will be flying alone to Boston for a 2.5 week camp at Wellesley and Harvard medical school. Next year she plans to spend a month of the summer working at a remote orphanage in India. My younger dd is 11 and refused her favorite summer camp for this year because she doesn't want to fly alone- I say let your dd be the guide.
Mine probably actually WOULD fly alone, but I'd be freaked out by it! Lol! That's great about the orphanage work! Good for her :)

IGC campers are age 7-17. It's in PA if you are looking for closer but bigger experience on the east coast.
Yes, I think that one is about 3 hours away. If she really wants to go, I'll try to talk my husband into it! LOL! How do coaches feel about such things? I could see them fearing kids getting hurt or taught things differently? Again, just curious!

Yes, some gyms actually "prohibit" kids from going to camps without coaches present. If your DD wants to go, I would ask around at the gym, in a "just curious" sort of way. If my kid wanted to go to camp - for the camp experience, not to gain a bunch of new skills, because that's not going to happen in a week - I would let her, no matter what the gym said.

Kids aren't going to miraculously gain a bunch of skills in a week - nor are they going to lose a bunch of skills or learn bad habits in a week, IMO. Camp should be about the experience and the fun - not with the intention of gaining new skills. If they do learn anything, consider it a bonus.

I'd also see if there is a week when the gym shuts down in the summer. Some gyms prefer for kids not to miss for camp, and some are more laid back. I know that there is a lot of up training at our gym during the summer, but at least at the lower levels, they realize that gym is not the only thing in life. I'm not sure how they'd feel about missing their training for camp, though. Do you know if your gym ever takes the team to a camp?

I'd also see if there is a week when the gym shuts down in the summer. Some gyms prefer for kids not to miss for camp, and some are more laid back. I know that there is a lot of up training at our gym during the summer, but at least at the lower levels, they realize that gym is not the only thing in life. I'm not sure how they'd feel about missing their training for camp, though. Do you know if your gym ever takes the team to a camp?
As far as I know, they have not? It's a really small gym. And you read my mind-I was going to see what week they took off last year. DD is the type of kid that does not want to miss. In a some what related topic, (I should start a new thread!) how do coaches generally feel about working out at other gyms while on vacation? We're going away for spring break and DD wanted me to find a gym that she could get a few workouts in at. I found one that is very welcome to guests (it's a beach town) and they have a bunch of 9s and 10s, so it looks like a legit gym. I'm afraid to ask HC!!!!

I personally would not worry about practicing during a week's vacation. Vacation is good.
Thanks!
I agree, but it was her idea so I thought I'd at least check it out. We're just visiting my Dad who is a snowbird, so there's going to be a lot of just hanging out-no real agenda. When we did Disney last summer it wasn't even a thought. I would only let her go 2 or 3 times. I was just wondering if this was common? The gym's website seemed to cater to it. Again, no big deal if she can't! Thanks for your input :)

As far as I know, they have not? It's a really small gym. And you read my mind-I was going to see what week they took off last year. DD is the type of kid that does not want to miss. In a some what related topic, (I should start a new thread!) how do coaches generally feel about working out at other gyms while on vacation? We're going away for spring break and DD wanted me to find a gym that she could get a few workouts in at. I found one that is very welcome to guests (it's a beach town) and they have a bunch of 9s and 10s, so it looks like a legit gym. I'm afraid to ask HC!!!!

Our gym encourages the girls to work out at another gym while on vacation. Mine has done it a couple different times and enjoyed it, particularly at the beach.

Our gym has had gymnasts from out of town come in for one or two workouts. As for camps, instead of asking if she can go...ask what camp he/she would recommend for a week in the summer. Then you will know the HC feelings on camps without asking if it's OK or not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back