WAG Gymnastics after knee surgery

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
There is a very high likelihood that I will be getting knee surgery for my reoccurring dislocated patella, torn MCL, and torn ACL.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any gymnasts who have gotten it, or parents or coaches of gymnasts? I am aware that everyone's recovery is different, but could use reassurance that a full recovery, and a return to level 9 is feasible post-op. Thanks everyone.

Physically yes, mentally up to you. And that is the hardest part. As you can see You are already starting to question your return, THAT CANNOT happen!!!! Get it? :)

Got it :) how long generally will a full GYMNASTICS recovery take? I know they say six months for a full return to most sports, but gymnastics is not like most sports... :)

I can't tell you, really. I have no idea. I feel really sorry for you!!!

I would first of all talk to my coaches and make a plan. Do tons of conditioning, stretching, handstands...everything that is possible during your recovery. Later start of with turns, pirouettes on floor bars, basic drills. If you are physical in almost the same shape as before, it is very likely you can get back!

I wish you the very best!!!

We had 2 girls have knee surgery this time last year. One tore her ACL. The other tore up everything including fracturing the kneecap. Both are back to competing, although the more severe one is more limited than the ACL only girl.

here is what I have noticed with injuries. When people take long periods of time out of the gym because of an injury they are less likely to ever come back fully. When they still come to practice and condition and do what they can their mental and physical gymnastics comeback is much faster and more successful. if you want to come back, then never stop coming.

here is what I have noticed with injuries. When people take long periods of time out of the gym because of an injury they are less likely to ever come back fully. When they still come to practice and condition and do what they can their mental and physical gymnastics comeback is much faster and more successful. if you want to come back, then never stop coming.
It takes discipline to follow the PT and recovery prescription, because it's a long and hard progression through some difficult work. Guess what? You're a gymnast, and that's what you already do and how you got to where you are as a gymnast. You're well equipped to put in the work to come back from this.

We had 2 girls have knee surgery this time last year. One tore her ACL. The other tore up everything including fracturing the kneecap. Both are back to competing, although the more severe one is more limited than the ACL only girl.

here is what I have noticed with injuries. When people take long periods of time out of the gym because of an injury they are less likely to ever come back fully. When they still come to practice and condition and do what they can their mental and physical gymnastics comeback is much faster and more successful. if you want to come back, then never stop coming.[/ QUOTE] haven't missed a practice yet...:)

No advice, but a hearty cheer for you and all good wishes. Glad you are still going to practice -- when DD was injured, it really helped her to keep her spirits up. I also think we drastically underestimate the amount of visual learning that goes on in the gym.

There is a very high likelihood that I will be getting knee surgery for my reoccurring dislocated patella, torn MCL, and torn ACL.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any gymnasts who have gotten it, or parents or coaches of gymnasts? I am aware that everyone's recovery is different, but could use reassurance that a full recovery, and a return to level 9 is feasible post-op. Thanks everyone.

it is and will take 1 year. :)

Reactions: sce
My husband had surgery on his ACL last June. He is obviously much older than you and is not a gymnast but, they told him 6 months until he was back to 100%. He ended up being really discouraged at the end of 6 months because he certainly did not feel 100%. After speaking with many others who had the surgery and they shared with him that it was more like 9 months to a year, he felt much better. :)

Try not to focus too much on the timeline. There is an average but some people are longer or shorter recoveries depending on many factors. Focus on keeping yourself in the best shape possible before the surgery and then be religious about your PT afterward, as another poster mentioned. And most importantly keep your spirits up! There is a light at the end of the tunnel. My husband has started playing soccer outside with the kids for the past couple of weeks. It has been less than a year and he is an old man. Haha :).

^^^ gymnasts need one full year to recover from this procedure. the MCL takes longer to heal. :)

and then there is everyone else...

^^^ gymnasts need one full year to recover from this procedure. the MCL takes longer to heal. :)

and then there is everyone else...
to quote... yikes!!! Thanks everyone for the insight. Looking forward (kind of) to getting the surgery ASAP so I can heal as quick as possible... compete my senior year as level 9 or try for Nats :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back