WAG Is this the norm for training in the TOPs, Hopes & Elite Community???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know that Hopes isn't elite. Why do you keep insinuating that I'm saying Hopes is Elite? My subj says TOPs, Hopes & Elite. I'm aware that they're all different. As far as the qualifications, as I said to coachp, I had the verbiage wrong. Cool! But I know the difference between the three.
Well,,, actually you don't . Jr elite is not just a different age division of senior elite. A higher score is required to qualify for sr elite..... And I am not sure why a coach would attend the compulsory portion of a qualifier but opt out of the optionals. But okay. So I was just assuming.

We are just trying to get the story straight,. And I am still scratching my head as to what you want here on CB, you switched gyms on your own, your dd wants tough coaching, you got it!!! As I always tell everyone here "be careful what you wish for"...

Our gym often uses conditioning as a 'punishment' for skills not done correctly but generally (to my untrained eye) it fits the crime - if there are bent arms they do chin ups, bent legs - leg lifts, not landing somis - squat jumps. I guess the thinking is it makes them focus on what they are doing wrong.

Actually I do. But thanks for trying to tell me that I dont. ;)

And yes, I switched on my own. And? And if you read my post, which you did, you'd also see why I pulled her from her gym. She had tough training at her other gym. Guess that part was missed too huh? My baby isn't blind to elite and what it entails. As far as what she sees and hears. But in order for her to see if this is truly her destiny, in my opinion, she has to go through the motions. Simple as that. And I support that. What I don't support is what should be used as conditioning, being used as a form of punishment.

Hopes does require you test the elite compulsories so that would be what they are called. I don't know how else you would say they have passed the "elite compulsories".

Thank you very much! But I don't know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes: Not directed at you though. Just people trying to tell me something they clearly don't know themselves.

Our gym often uses conditioning as a 'punishment' for skills not done correctly but generally (to my untrained eye) it fits the crime - if there are bent arms they do chin ups, bent legs - leg lifts, not landing somis - squat jumps. I guess the thinking is it makes them focus on what they are doing wrong.
I don't see that as punishment necessarily - that is training aimed at fixing the problem. What constitutes punishment is also based on the spirit it is given.;)

Actually I do. But thanks for trying to tell me that I dont. ;)

And yes, I switched on my own. And? And if you read my post, which you did, you'd also see why I pulled her from her gym. She had tough training at her other gym. Guess that part was missed too huh? My baby isn't blind to elite and what it entails. As far as what she sees and hears. But in order for her to see if this is truly her destiny, in my opinion, she has to go through the motions. Simple as that. And I support that. What I don't support is what should be used as conditioning, being used as a form of punishment.
Okay, first you said that a girl at your current gym tested out of Elite comps but did not go optionals (holpes). So we were just trying to clarify and eliminate other people from being confused because the description if wrong.
Next you said this "And the last time I checked, once you're junior elite, you're elite. Junior & Senior elite. Both elite, just different age ranges." this is also incorrect, (not taking anything away from the JR's as it is an amazing accomplishment to even get to JR's) But you are incorrect, to qualify to Sr Elite you must score out, so it's not just age it's ability and performance. So the only two things that you have talked about in Elite have been incorrect.
If all you want to know is if rope should be used as punishment, then just title your post as such. Best of luck to your DD.

I think it sounds like a great place if you want your daughter to quit gymnastics.

I guess I'm also confused why anyone would be worried about elite before ever even competing optionals?

I think it's pretty risky to be promising you an" elite program " when you're daughter hasn't competed as an optional, or even tested TOPs, yet....I really am trying to understand why you left the gym with the coach who loved your daughter (but wasn't training elites anymore) when she wasn't even out of compulsories...she could have trained there without the punishing techniques she's getting now through at least level 9 or even 10 , and then moved her...I'm not sure the move was necessary yet....

@myeyeson_u - few topics things get this board more riled up than discussions on elite and trampolines. I really think people are trying to be helpful and educate you, so please try to take it that way.

I am too ignorant to add anything to the elite discussion, but I can tell you that gym changes are hard and it takes time for both parties (gymnast-coach) to adjust. If I had judged our new gym based on a couple weeks then I would have been sadly mistaken. The clothing was different, the warm ups were different, the equipment and training times. And on top of that, the coaches really didn't know who my child really was a gymnast other than what they could see right before them. It didn't show how hard she worked or how she was a slow starter that kept on growing with skills or how incredibly strong she was (okay, they had a glimpse of the last one). You obviously thought there were some good reasons to come to this gym, so just try to take a step back.

The rope climbs seem a bit excessive at first blush, but it's so soon to know if it's a pattern. If you have serious concerns after 2 months, then you should reassess where you are and where you're going. Let your daughter lead you. As others have said -- is she happy? Is she learning new things? Optionals are hard -- elite or not -- and take a lot of practice to perfect. Try not to stress -- it seems too soon.

Last edited:
she could have trained there without the punishing techniques she's getting now through at least level 9 or even 10 , and then moved her...I'm not sure the move was necessary yet....

Exactly this. The original gym has a coaching system in place to produce elite athletes. Whether or not they choose to test and qualify athletes elite does not change the fact that they know what they're doing. Your daughter would most likely be fine at this gym until everyone is more sure about whether or not elite level gymnastics is an option for her.

So many kids never make it to elite. If elite is the only focus, she will most likely feel like a failure if it doesn't happen. I've seen it too many times. I'm not saying it can't be a long term goal. Just be careful that it's not how she's defining her success in this sport.

Absolutely not @coachp! She is w/ the girls who are training TOPs and Hopes. And you read what I posted. If the post bothered you, you shouldn't have responded. I never said any of the girls were elite. So you interpreted how you wanted to.

Ok. I feel like I'm repeating myself. So I'm going to make this last post and be done w/ this.If some people actually took the time to read what I initially posted, and some of the responses in between, some your questions would've been answered. It's annoying and I'm getting frustrated saying the same stuff over.

Dd's former gym is not doing the program. Her coach has NOTHING to do w/ that. Her coach also made it clear that he would not modify her training. The team director/head coach also confirmed this. Her coach also expressed that if it were his daughter, he'd pull her out and take her somewhere that can give her what she needs. Plain and simple! And just because the gym has that factor (an elite gymnast) doesn't mean they'll get my baby to where she needs to be. I stayed because her coach from back home said the same thing. And nothing came of that. You all have no idea the discussions that were had prior to making this move. Yes I didn't share this. But it's none of your business. I posted because of something that seemed out of the norm for me because she mentioned it to me. That's it. Sure you're entitled to your questions and your opinions. But it doesn't mean I'm going to respond the way you like. Just like some of you are responding in a way I don't like. It is what it is. Thanks for the responses.

Just a couple of things. Don't want you to leave without feeling your questions/concerns were properly addressed!!!
#1: she's playing catch up so while she had an excessive amount of rope climbing for one workout, a better representation of the program might be (in this case) to take note of the amount of rope climbs the team veterans had to do.
#2: on a good day, tops/hopes/elite/optional/compulsory training can be hard to watch for any parent. A good rule of thumb, if something upsets you or concerns you (other than safety), sleep on it before you speak to the coach.
#3: you seem like a planner type person, very type A. But don't let that interfere with enjoying your DD's gymnastics. If it's meant to be, it will be. You've provided her with the best opportunity to pursue her dreams. Enjoy her journey.
Reassurances (from this thread alone) that you have made the right choice... A) most elite gyms would not accept a 10 yo w/L6 skills into their program, regardless of talent, ability, or potential.
B) she's getting a workout. She's has not been tossed aside and her coach is working with her.
C) it's only been a week. As she progresses and gets stronger, the rope climbs for falls will get fewer UNTIL she starts learning a new skill.

It will work out for her. Good luck! Hope this helps!

Ok. I feel like I'm repeating myself. So I'm going to make this last post and be done w/ this.If some people actually took the time to read what I initially posted, and some of the responses in between, some your questions would've been answered. It's annoying and I'm 1. getting frustrated saying the same stuff over.

2. Dd's former gym is not doing the program.

3. Her coach also made it clear that he would not modify her training. .

4. You all have no idea the discussions that were had prior to making this move. Yes I didn't share this. But it's none of your business.

A few points here to the OP:

1. Sorry that feel you are repeating yourself but if you see point #4, you didn't share what exactly you were asking about and we were all trying to help you based on the info you gave us...
2. By " program", are we to infer , the elite program
3. I don't know what modifying her training means , but they seem to have had a successful JO primer if the gym GOT someone to elite....so would modification even be necessary?
4. You're right...we all had no idea of the prior discussions you had, and while it may not be our business, YOU sought US out for advice, not the other way around...and that's a pretty crappy response to people who tried to help you...while you chastise them to boot! It's like you reeled us in with half the info, didn't like the responses you got, and now are mad...unreal...

A few points here to the OP:

1. Sorry that feel you are repeating yourself but if you see point #4, you didn't share what exactly you were asking about and we were all trying to help you based on the info you gave us... <--- I did.
2. By " program", are we to infer , the elite program <--- Redundant
3. I don't know what modifying her training means , but they seem to have had a successful JO primer if the gym GOT someone to elite....so would modification even be necessary?
4. You're right...we all had no idea of the prior discussions you had, and while it may not be our business, YOU sought US out for advice, not the other way around...and that's a pretty crappy response to people who tried to help you...while you chastise them to boot! It's like you reeled us in with half the info, didn't like the responses you got, and now are mad...unreal... <--- I posted w/ what I thought was a concern. And wanted to get insight from coaches who may train girls or may have trained girls going this route. Or parents who have kids or have kids going this route. Because it wasn't something my baby has done. And I wanted to see if what happened is the norm. Any and everyone is free to post what they want, correct. Does it mean I have to like and/or agree w/ the response? Absolutely not! And again, if you read the post, you'd see what exactly my inquiry was about. I chastise you guys? HA! That's funny! Guess you didn't see some of the responses I got huh? And I'm not mad at all. I'm annoyed because people such as yourself are asking the same thing over and over again. And some people are trying to correct me on things they're incorrect on themselves. If you really wanted a better understanding w/out having to go through this entire thread, as some have done, you could've sent me a msg. So again, it is what it is.

Thank you very much, gym0m.

Just a couple of things. Don't want you to leave without feeling your questions/concerns were properly addressed!!!
#1: she's playing catch up so while she had an excessive amount of rope climbing for one workout, a better representation of the program might be (in this case) to take note of the amount of rope climbs the team veterans had to do.
#2: on a good day, tops/hopes/elite/optional/compulsory training can be hard to watch for any parent. A good rule of thumb, if something upsets you or concerns you (other than safety), sleep on it before you speak to the coach.
#3: you seem like a planner type person, very type A. But don't let that interfere with enjoying your DD's gymnastics. If it's meant to be, it will be. You've provided her with the best opportunity to pursue her dreams. Enjoy her journey. <----- Will do! I was and am still a little concerned. And I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting.
Reassurances (from this thread alone) that you have made the right choice... A) most elite gyms would not accept a 10 yo w/L6 skills into their program, regardless of talent, ability, or potential.
B) she's getting a workout. She's has not been tossed aside and her coach is working with her.
C) it's only been a week. As she progresses and gets stronger, the rope climbs for falls will get fewer UNTIL she starts learning a new skill.

It will work out for her. Good luck! Hope this helps!

When asking for advice, I believe it is best to be polite and not aggressive to those who took the time to respond. Sorry we do not understand everything you are saying clearly. If you are so upset at having to repeat yourself and clarify further, maybe you are the one who is not clear.

From reading this thread the rope climbs can be interpreted several ways.

Op rather then wondering you need to watch practise quietly several times with an open mind noting the interactions. Quite possibly the coach may be catching up your gymies strength.

It is great that at your new gym parents can watch- even if your Dd is reluctant I would insist as you need to have a clear view of the interactions.

Good luck:)

I don't know about the US. She would be way too old to start elite track here.

I have to say it is notable that, though you are (by your own words) appealing for answers from coaches, most of the answers you appear to have taken most umbrage to are, in fact, from coaches.

Your little girl sounds like she has determination and a clear view of what she wants, I really hope things work out for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back