Changes to the WAG program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You know the US was used as an example of why we should have one stream - 'The US only has one stream but they have lots of age divisions so the kid from the YMCA still gets awards in against the big elite club down the road' ... ah no the US has, Xcel, AAU, TAAF, YMCA, JOGA, CARA, high school gymnastics and probably a bunch of others I don't know about.

A lot of the choreography is complex and not very pretty. I am going to have to chop a lot of skill learning time out of my gymnasts week because they are young and it will take them a long time to learn these dance/pose packed routines.

You know the US was used as an example of why we should have one stream - 'The US only has one stream but they have lots of age divisions so the kid from the YMCA still gets awards in against the big elite club down the road' ... ah no the US has, Xcel, AAU, TAAF, YMCA, JOGA, CARA, high school gymnastics and probably a bunch of others I don't know about.

A lot of the choreography is complex and not very pretty. I am going to have to chop a lot of skill learning time out of my gymnasts week because they are young and it will take them a long time to learn these dance/pose packed routines.

Most, if not all YMCA programs compete AAU or USAG JO / Xcel. Some YMCAs, like mine, only compete meets against other YMCAs in our district (11 teams). We compete JO3 - JO9 and Xcel Silver (one team) - Xcel Platinum. Some of the teams in our district also compete at Invitationals at Ys outside of our district and they compete at YMCA Zones (like a State / Regional Meet). We also have YMCA Nationals ... if the girls that qualify WANT to go.
High school gymnastics is just another sport to compete for your local high school - different states have different rules, but in Ohio, they use basic JO8 rules with specific bonuses allowed.
All the other ones you mention are regional programs only found in certain locations.
Are we trailing behind? Should someone have sent Gymnastics Australia a list of the *new* JO skills? ;-)
The "New" JO levels just basically made room for another level of Optionals (decided that "old" JO1 and JO2 could be combined into "new" JO1. This moved all the other compulsory levels down 1 number. Then they inserted "new" JO6 as a first, but completely skippable Optional Level.) ... and changed the focus on turns from coupé to passé... and added a bunch of dance-y, pose-y fluff to make more places for text errors, lol.

Reactions: COz
Does anybody know the ages for juniors and seniors for level 3 and 4 under the new ALP? I can't see it written anywhere??

Does anyone have a child in IDP? So curious to see how the changes are rolling out for everyone. We're in WA. coach has said will be a huge reshuffling of students into different levels. Eeek nervous nelly over here!

Does anyone have a child in IDP? So curious to see how the changes are rolling out for everyone. We're in WA. coach has said will be a huge reshuffling of students into different levels. Eeek nervous nelly over here!
Dd is IL8 which equates to the old IDP 6. My understanding is that the IL program is being looked at, just not for the start of this year.

No way, headstands are not safe for toddlers. In fact in Australia they are banned at all levels. When I did my coaches course with Gymnastics Australia many years ago. That was the very first thing taught, never do headstands.

Aussie_coach you posted this on another thread... I was under the impression headstands were banned, yet there is a headstand in the compulsory Level 6 floor routine?

One of the clubs have published the following information for their gymnasts about the new international levels:

IL2 is now part of the foundation program (NL1-2). This club no longer separates it from the national levels. Skills based, non-scored, no routines.

The compulsory International Levels will have the same music and routines until 2017. When the music changes, it will be the same as the National Levels, with harder skills in the choreography for IL compared to the same NL.

The competitive seasons for NL and IL will be the same. (Edit: the one competitive season)

Last edited:
Aussie_coach you posted this on another thread... I was under the impression headstands were banned, yet there is a headstand in the compulsory Level 6 floor routine?

Interesting isn't it? But my guess is that they have decided that by level 6 the strength and control of this skill is sufficient to do it safely. As opposed to using it as a developmental skill in the recreational and lower level classes.

Any advice out there from coaches for what to do with my State Stream girls? We are a small regional club with low resources - equipment, coaches etc. and due to the distance to competitions and the low training hours our girls have in the past competed State Stream.

With State Stream gone there is no way, on the hours that my girls train, that we can be competitive. I've decided what levels to compete all but the girls who competed State Stream level 3 last year. Results were a little weak last year for this group (best result was the last competition), and for some of them they had already done a 2nd year at level 3. They have the skills for level 4 on floor, beam and vault but they lack the polish. Bars is the biggest problem. They are weak on this event due to lack of strength. The two glide swings being a real problem.

What level do I compete them? Level 3 again or level 4? Keeping in mind that if they compete level 3 again some of them will be doing this for the third year. At this time I think if they move to level 4 they will end up repeating this level in 2016. I can't decide what to do with them. Sigh.

They are all around the 11-12 years age group. They love gymnastics but are average in terms of talent with various issues with regards to flexibility and the ability to build strength.

It's a tough situation! I have a lot of ex state stream girls will struggle with ALP skills on the hours per week they train (2.5-5hrs, only 1 training 5hrs+). And telling them that they might have to stay the same or go lower is only going to make them out gym lower down in their priorities list or even quit. I have let them make the decision and made them fully aware of what the consequences of their choice may be-if they do the harder level then they may not be able to compete all the skills needed or score badly, also more stressful for them trying to get skills, as compared to competing an easier level and training skills for higher levels. None have chosen to compete a lower level so comps should be interesting!

What state are you in? I know the country region I am in has chosen to keep state stream requirement for level 6+, and also some have decided to do gymstar, but that means traveling hrs away for comps which I know my parents wouldn't do!

It's tough. Around here it's do the hours for ndp or quit. :-( most quit, few do rec.
and I'm sure many of those that have moved to national levels will also quit once they have to compete against the previously ndp girls.
Doesn't seem to be increasing longevity in the sport to me.

Thank you @_coachbrooke_. I think I will consider doing the same thing for this particular group. I think they are old enough to make the decision if I make sure I explain all the consequences of their decision. If I keep them back for a third year I think it might be quite disheartening and they will eventually leave. - P.S. I'm in NSW.

I can see what Gymnastics Australia is trying to do. It is a difficult situation. Unfortunately for gymnasts that already train on low hours (and can't train anymore) the new routines will make it an even bigger juggling act with regards to fitting in conditioning, stretching, skill training and the teaching of the new routines. Less time on conditioning, stretching and skill training means it will be harder to ultimately learn those skills.

For clubs that have the resources and the kids that can train the hours the new routines might work out great in the long term. It will be interesting to see if they get the results they are looking for. Gymnastics Australia want us to look outside the square to keep gymnasts in the sport but I'm not sure what that is for clubs like mine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back