WAG Tough Coaches at level 3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

VAgymdad

Proud Parent
All. A little background. My daughter is 6 1/2 in her first year competing level 3. Of the 20 level 3 girls, she is the youngest of the group. Only one other 6 year old, the rest are mostly 8 and up. She is the only one of the group who has yet to compete level 3 bars. According to her head coach, he will not be competing her on bars until he witnesses an acceptable level of consistency one week prior to a meet. He's explained to me that level 3 is the foundation to her future and there's no point in rushing her through skills and competing just to compete. The gym is highly competitive and each year consistently produces a good group of level 10's, a few college bound, and a few elites here and there. We're going with the "trust the coaches" mantra and trying to stay patient. We just feel a little bit like we're on an island waiting for my little girl to get a consistent mill circle and bar dismount. So, I'm curious if the veteran coaches/parents out there have experienced similar situations. Many thanks for your comments!

I'm guessing it is probably just the way the gym works and a standard they have for all of the kids. It's hard to say without seeing what your daughter's bars look like in particular, but if the coach is an experienced one, I wouldn't worry too much about it, though I know it can be frustrating. I think most coaches are generally opposed to the idea of a kid competing a skill that they don't "have."
Mill circles can be tricky for some kids, and really, not competing bars at this point in level 3 as a 6 year old is not likely to have a lasting impact on her gymnastics. She'll get it :)

I would trust your coaches. My YDD struggled with consistency on the stride circle. Mind you at the time our team did not compete LVL 3 (old) out of the gym. During the inhouse meets when my DD was in a miss phase seeing her 1/2 hanging off the bar upset with herself was a terrible thing to watch. It really effected her confidence. I could not imagine how upset/embarrassed she would have been at a large invitational.

You want competitions to be a positive fun thing when they are so little! The coaches are just trying to set her up for success.

I think you have landed at a good gym that produces what all parents dream of. Girls who stay at the gym long term and are able to get to L10, college or even the holy grail of elite.

Your little one (dd in internet speak) is clearly quite talented, to be in L3 at 6 years old, but bars are always a big challenge. Waiting for consistency whilst allowing her to compete on the other three apparatus sounds like a great compromise.

I think you are on to a great thing there. Now sit back and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
My dd is also a level 3 and while she had a back handspring block, her coaches had her scratch floor. Our gym sounds a lot like your gym, consistently sending girls out with college scholarships, and strong competitors. It was absolutely hard to watch dd scratch, but it did light a fire under her butt and she pushed herself to get her backhandspring back. Good luck to your little one!! Bars are tough!

Trust the coaches. Being able to perform skills consistently in order to compete them is very important to reduce the risk of injury. While missing a mill circle in competition would probably not result in injury, as your daughter progresses, throwing inconsistent harder skills is not a good idea. This is setting a smart standard right from the beginning.

DD switched from Xcel to JO 3 and had very little time to get her skills before season. I have to admit I was skeptical she even could, given the total lack of uptraining in her Xcel program. Eventually, that switch got flipped and she managed it. Your dd will get there! And definitely trust what sound like very solid coaches that you have.

While I see your frustration waiting for a skill to be meet ready I would say that having a consistent plan and requirements can be a really nice thing!

Pea's gym is the opposite, they give the kids as much time as possible to get skills (like the day before a meet!) and the lack of consistent requirements and flexibility has bit Pea is the rear this year. She became a total head game about her flyaway and every week was 'no you won't compete' ...'well fine compete'...'oh never mind you won't compete.' This was going on for a few months causing a lot of frustration and anxiety for Pea. I pulled the plug a month ago and put her back in Level 5 (with the gyms consent.) She's taking a mental break from her flyaway head game and working on polishing her 7 skills (that don't involve the high bar :) So strict requirements can be a good thing!

Trust your coaches. Better to have her feel accomplished instead of frustrated.

And as a heads up, L4 bars are a huge jump up so be prepared to repeat the same scenario next year. DD has scratched on bars once this year and barely got through the routine at the second meet.

Trust your coaches. Better to have her feel accomplished instead of frustrated.

And as a heads up, L4 bars are a huge jump up so be prepared to repeat the same scenario next year. DD has scratched on bars once this year and barely got through the routine at the second meet.

Watching them learn their kip is physically painful LOL. They get it, then they don't, then they do, then they don't. It's so insane.

We just feel a little bit like we're on an island waiting for my little girl to get a consistent mill circle and bar dismount.
Ha!! I love your analogy because really having a child participate in this sport is like being on "parent island" wondering when the ship is going to come to take you off. The sooner you learn to put your feet up and grab an umbrella drink, the better off you'll be.

It sounds like your DD is at a great gym. Feel fortunate! and yes, we have all been there more than once. Heck I'm there now...... :)

Watching them learn their kip is physically painful LOL. They get it, then they don't, then they do, then they don't. It's so insane.

OMG, the KIP! Insane is the very best way to describe it!!! And each day you feel like they will NEVER get it. Then they do, and you feel like "Yay! She got it!". Then lose it...
I think I dreamed about kips and rips for a month straight!!!

All. A little background. My daughter is 6 1/2 in her first year competing level 3. Of the 20 level 3 girls, she is the youngest of the group. Only one other 6 year old, the rest are mostly 8 and up. She is the only one of the group who has yet to compete level 3 bars. According to her head coach, he will not be competing her on bars until he witnesses an acceptable level of consistency one week prior to a meet. He's explained to me that level 3 is the foundation to her future and there's no point in rushing her through skills and competing just to compete. The gym is highly competitive and each year consistently produces a good group of level 10's, a few college bound, and a few elites here and there. We're going with the "trust the coaches" mantra and trying to stay patient. We just feel a little bit like we're on an island waiting for my little girl to get a consistent mill circle and bar dismount. So, I'm curious if the veteran coaches/parents out there have experienced similar situations. Many thanks for your comments!

yes, appropriate and common. :)

Just some encouragement - My young 7 y/o DD also competed L3 this past season. She had so much trouble getting the windmill in L2, I was afraid she would not move up to compete L3. After a few privates here and there and a lot of persistance on her part, she managed to make the required 36.0 on her L3 routines (and made the windmill beautifully). She had a successful L3 season; is the youngest on the team and one of only TWO girls who have their KIPS! So take heart mom - I used to hold my breath each and every time she competed bars ... it does and WILL get better! Good luck to you :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back