WAG Help- incorrect grip sizing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
Just got a new pair of grips since my old ones were stretched out, but I'm afraid I ordered the wrong size! I haven't yet worn them on the bar since I may need to take them back. Picture:
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1422408800.768884.jpg

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1422408881.682672.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1422408899.614899.jpg
I haven't yet sandpapered the finger holes either just in case, so that's why those appear tight (and why it looks like I have sausage fingers ;) )

They look a little small, I suggest you return them for a bigger size.

They look a little small, I suggest you return them for a bigger size.

please do not talk about something you don't know anything about. and i'm being nice. doing so could be dangerous.

folks, i hope you all see this thread. in fact, these grips shown above are too BIG.

in the first picture with the hand lying flat, you can see how much leather is covering the surface of her palm. i don't know the age of this girl, or level, but that's enough leather for a level 9/10 at maybe 120lbs.

the 2nd picture is useless so please disregard. BUT, what you see is what a grip should look like after it has been broken in. note...she said it was brand new. so...NOT broken in.

3rd pic is what i have told all of you to do when you want to post a pic. from the side. this is perfect. when the hand and wrist straighten to 90% and past JUST like you see in this pic you can see how much leather is still there and it's bowed outward and away from the palm. THIS GRIP IS WAY TOO BIG FOR THIS HAND AND WRIST.

a properly sized grip will not allow the hand and wrist to get anywhere close to straight or 90%. the wrist will be bent over towards the floor and the hand will be in the shape of the letter "C". it should look just like pic #2 except that the leather should be perfectly straight when the fingers lift upward.

someone sticky this thread please. and others feel free to post up a sideways pic of your hand in a grip and us coaches can let you know if they fit. :)

Timely thread....got my DDs new grips checked by our HC because I thought they were too small. She said exactly what Dunno has...they were in fact perfect!

The one thing I'm querying....on the pic posted by Aero the grips sit quite far down the fingers....like first joint....I was told just very top of fingertip (to base of nail).

Timely thread....got my DDs new grips checked by our HC because I thought they were too small. She said exactly what Dunno has...they were in fact perfect!

The one thing I'm querying....on the pic posted by Aero the grips sit quite far down the fingers....like first joint....I was told just very top of fingertip (to base of nail).
That was why I thought they were too small, mine reach just a little bit shorter than the base of my fingernail.

no, not really. it's close to the first digit with the hand off the bar. if it's on the bar it will be on that 1st digit. :)

and no...not at the nail bed. it should rest right on that 1st digit.

That was why I thought they were too small, mine reach just a little bit shorter than the base of my fingernail.

this is where sandpaper or a Dremel comes in handy. you slowly make the finger holes bigger so that they rest right on that 1st digit.

this is where sandpaper or a Dremel comes in handy. you slowly make the finger holes bigger so that they rest right on that 1st digit.
Do you mean that they should lie on the crease at the joint of the index finger?

Do you mean that they should lie on the crease at the joint of the index finger?

well, no. the middle and ring fingers. the bottom of the hole sits on crease/digit and the top hole rest on the other side of the crease/digit.

Reactions: COz

1st digit meaning the 1st crease below the nail bed. if the grip slides down to the 2nd digit/crease you gotta use a rubber band or foam to push it back up. if it won't stay they're probably stretched and need replacing.

Mary Lee's grandchildren are adorable. and it's amazing that all coaches that have kids and grandchildren in the gym do the same things...they put on grips, they tape their own ankle "injuries", etc;

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back